Reservation Hoarders - You Know Who You Are :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was in place on our last week+ trip to WDW in 2012.

I think it was just certain restaurants back then. I know we were there December 2012 and I don't remember having to leave a cc on file.
They added the credit card guarantee just to Signature and Character dining in October 2011. They added it to all restaurants in November 2013.

They added the credit card guarantee just to Signature and Character dining in October 2011. They added it to all restaurants in November 2013.
That makes sense. We do almost all character meals so it felt like it was all of them.

Sorry, holding reservations every day is fair game as long as not more than one at every meal. I often book a few days of BOG lunch until I finalize my plans at FP+ window then I throw them back in the pool.
Ah so a good time to look again for Reservations would be when the FB window opens? Thank you. We are shut out of everything for Thanksgiving (they opened today for us) and are hoping to find an opening without having to check 20 times a day.

This is a Disney generated behavior. I currently am holding 10 ADRs and intend to use 8 or 9 of them. 1 of my duplications is directly related to the belief in Disney is going to shuffle the schedule but has not done it yet. I don't make the rules, but I do respect them and understand that I have to play by them whether I want to or not. If Disney's schedule was firm 6 months in advance, I would have a firm schedule.
This is a major problem. Last visit we booked Cinderella's Royal Table for right before park opening, only to learn that Disney changed the schedule at some point and we were stuck dining while we could have been riding line-free rides. Trying to play it smarter this time around!

Ah so a good time to look again for Reservations would be when the FB window opens? Thank you. We are shut out of everything for Thanksgiving (they opened today for us) and are hoping to find an opening without having to check 20 times a day.
Wow really? I'm sorry to hear this!

We will be there the day after, but I'm not making an ADR for Black Friday until CP dining packages are released.

I hope you end up getting what you want. I think the free dining crew are there that week, I thought that's what I read, if they had a Monday check in.

Wow really? I'm sorry to hear this!

We will be there the day after, but I'm not making an ADR for Black Friday until CP dining packages are released.

I hope you end up getting what you want. I think the free dining crew are there that week, I thought that's what I read, if they had a Monday check in.
Thank you! I hope so too. This board has been super helpful. I'll have to download the app, because it seems easier to keep checking there. We're going on the cruise for Black Friday so the few days before at Disney is just extra fun to the weekend. But Thanksgiving dinner is kind of important! If the free dining crew is there at this time, it makes sense why everything is so booked.

Thank you! I hope so too. This board has been super helpful. I'll have to download the app, because it seems easier to keep checking there. We're going on the cruise for Black Friday so the few days before at Disney is just extra fun to the weekend. But Thanksgiving dinner is kind of important! If the free dining crew is there at this time, it makes sense why everything is so booked.
We will be leaving on the Fantasy 12/26, and then returning to WDW after. Our first time on DCL!!

Have a fabulous cruise!!!! I know that I'm excited for ours!

ETA- keep checking the app. I booked our last trip 65 days out and got almost everything, it just takes constant checking.

Like others have said, this issue was created by Disneys crazy system. If everything was open for booking at the same time and schedules weren't changed it wouldn't happen. We definitely hoard, but I'll release as soon as I can. I also thin k like a pp said the super hoarders are more myth. Most probably book a few a couple of times...2 bog, 2 crt or 2 CM. When I'm paying that much I want to ensure my family gets to do their favorite things like on any other vacation we take. For my family the character meals/experiences disney offers are very important and for me even more than the rides as I'm not a huge ride person.

I find that adrs bring out some very hostile attitudes. I recall people having their undies in a bunch when people weren't eating dinner at BOG and just having cupcakes and drinks...because it wasn't fair to those who wanted to eat dinner there lol.

This is a major problem. Last visit we booked Cinderella's Royal Table for right before park opening, only to learn that Disney changed the schedule at some point and we were stuck dining while we could have been riding line-free rides. Trying to play it smarter this time around!
If you are booking those early morning meals this is one area you need to pay attention to. Disney often will change hours so if touring trumps meals you have really keep an eye on the schedule. I sign up for Touring Plans and hey send notices, well sometimes they do, if hours change.

I recall people having their undies in a bunch when people weren't eating dinner at BOG and just having cupcakes and drinks...because it wasn't fair to those who wanted to eat dinner there lol.

Ha! It never even occurred to me to do that at any restaurant. There are some I want to try but we try to limit to only a few of the more expensive ones on each trip. And with the kids they get bored at some of the ones we want to try. But if we were only doing like apps & drinks it wouldn't be so pricey. Pretty good idea and pretty funny that people would get annoyed by that.

Ha! It never even occurred to me to do that at any restaurant. There are some I want to try but we try to limit to only a few of the more expensive ones on each trip. And with the kids they get bored at some of the ones we want to try. But if we were only doing like apps & drinks it wouldn't be so pricey. Pretty good idea and pretty funny that people would get annoyed by that.
There will always be people who think that their way is the only way. Believe me, if Disney thought that this was an issue you would see minimums applied at any of these eateries that have a high demand.

I have no issues splitting meals when we dine. I hate throwing food away and i cannot eat the entire meal soup to nuts in one sitting, so we tend to share when it is appropriate. We tip well, so no harm no foul for the server. Our dining plan credits are all used and we get to go to a few extra places or a signature or two that we would not have allowed for. There are those who would be upset that we are taking space that we are not completely paying for, but the extras we add to the meal may be much higher return for Disney that if we ordered the cheapest meals and drank water. Which I don't. I like wine.

Well, what I'm about to say won't be popular, but anyway,

I think it is a little ridiculous to go to a restaurant and spend an hour eating a cupcake, I didn't realize that people do that until I read it on these boards. The thought would never cross my mind either. Apps and drinks are different though.

I think it is a little ridiculous to go to a restaurant and spend an hour eating a cupcake, I didn't realize that people do that until I read it on these boards. The thought would never cross my mind either. Apps and drinks are different though.

What if they only spend 30 minutes?

I couldn't last at a table for an hour eating a cupcake and having a cup of coffee. When at home, me and DW always go to restaurants & just get a bunch of apps to share & drinks. Sometimes that apps are better than the entrees at certain places. Plus you get more of a variety for the same or sometimes less money. But I've never thought of doing that at WDW. Probably b/c we are usually on the DDP and also b/c we tend to immerse ourselves in the full dining experience wherever we go. But I'd absolutely consider doing just apps and drinks to some places now. Technically it's really no different than getting a reservation at Beaches & Cream and just ordering ice cream.

if Disney thought that this was an issue you would see minimums applied at any of these eateries that have a high demand.

the extras we add to the meal may be much higher return for Disney that if we ordered the cheapest meals and drank water. Which I don't. I like wine.

Both of these statements are dead-on. Last sentence is perfect.

Why? And what makes it different? I started waiting tables when I was 12 and helped my Dad, and began getting paid when I was 14. People have been ordering dessert and coffee for years, you just did not know. The only one who gets to decide what is ridiculous behavior in an eatery is the owner of said establishment. As many of us have pointed out, Disney is just fine bringing the hammer down if they do not want something to happen.

What if they only spend 30 minutes?
If they enter the park early and order a cupcake, they have to spend an hour eating it.

Otherwise, they are held up at the door until rope drop.

Of course this is for breakfast, rather than dinner. But people still do it.

Coming from the standpoint of someone who used to be a server - it is hard sometimes having your section filled up with people grazing over a dessert and coffee forever and leaving a $5 tip for an hour's worth of table time. From a customer standpoint, it can be frustrating when we are a family waiting to eat a full meal while there are people seemingly intentionally taking their time splitting a dessert. Is it unfair though? No. Just frustrating to those on the other side of the equation.
In a perfect world they would make a lounge or cafe area specifically for those who do not want a full meal.

I couldn't last at a table for an hour eating a cupcake and having a cup of coffee. When at home, me and DW always go to restaurants & just get a bunch of apps to share & drinks. Sometimes that apps are better than the entrees at certain places. Plus you get more of a variety for the same or sometimes less money. But I've never thought of doing that at WDW. Probably b/c we are usually on the DDP and also b/c we tend to immerse ourselves in the full dining experience wherever we go. But I'd absolutely consider doing just apps and drinks to some places now. Technically it's really no different than getting a reservation at Beaches & Cream and just ordering ice cream.
It's funny, there was a time that I would say I could not last either, but Buddy and I now sometimes stop for a donut and coffee and end up chatting a long time. WE slowed down a lot in many ways, and found that we get a lot more fun that way. I admit I prefer to stop for a glass of wine and a light snack instead, but if pastry sounds better, that is what we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter