Report on my solo trip

jbobst

Earning My Ears
Got back to Phoenix this afternoon, so I wanted to submit a report on my first solo trip to Disneyland and DCA. I had purchased a 3 day park hopper, and I had intended to at least do two full days and decide after day two if I wanted to do a third day. Well, I ended up spending the whole day on Friday, but decided to head home this morning. I feel bad, as I still have 2/3 of my park hopper pass un-used, and it was kind of a waste of money since I only spent one day. Oh well, lesson learned.

First off, going solo was actually a very nice change! I got there well before the park opened, and was right by the rope at the rope drop in tomorrow land. For the first 2 hours, I pretty much walked on to any ride I wanted to ride (didn't do Fantasy land, so I can't comment on those rides). It was really nice being there for a couple hours and not having any crowds to deal with. I thought I would have had maybe a half an hour like that, but after two hours, I had pretty much hit all the big rides! I wasn't sure if I would even go to DCA the first day, but after I had ridden all the majors in Disneyland, I went over to DCA. My favorite ride at either park, is the Tower of Terror. I was able to walk on 5 times in a row, no wait! I would have gone a few more times, but I had a slight headache, so I moved on to California Screaming. I realize that as I get older, roller coasters seems to affect my stomach a bit. Tower of Terror actually doesn't make me sick at all, but California Screaming did make me a bit queasy. Anyway, rode a couple more things at DCA and then headed to lunch at a restaurant in Downtown Disney. After lunch, I walked through the Grand Californian Hotel, as I have never done that before.

Went back to Disneyland, and the crowds were now definately there. However, I was already completely satisfied from my early morning good fortune (as far as rides go) and I decided to just walk around a bit and check out things that I have really never taken the time to do. First though, I did do the Tiki Room, as I always have to see that when I go to Disneyland. I then spent time going through all the shops in French Quarter and in Main street, and I also rode the steamboat and went to Tom Saywer island. Of all the times I have been to Disneyland, I have never been on the steam boat. It's also been probably 20 years since I've been to the Island. I then went into a Ice Cream bar/Saloon in Frontier land and listen to a Hillbilly musical group. Didn't even know that "saloon" was there! I watched the parade in the evening, then went back to my car to get my sweatshirt. For some reason, they pushed up the fireworks to 8:45 instead of the published 9:30, so I wasn't quite prepared to see them when they started. I then also watched Fantasmic and did the single rider lines on Indy and Splash Mountain. I had rode Splash Mountain earlier in the day, and only had a few drops of water on me. Unfortunately, after the evening ride, I got soaked, and it was no fun being cold and wet. I should have known better...

By then, I was cold, sore and extremely tired. I had been planning on staying until midnight so I could do Fantasy land rides around 11:30 when lines are much smaller, but I was so tired, I only made it until about 10:30. I was completely satisfied however, as I felt like I had put in a really long day already and had done more than I originally thought I would. However, I was getting homesick and being so tired, I felt like I was ready to go home after only one day, and felt like my Disneyland cravings had been satisfied, at least for another year. I went back to the hotel, crashed, and left for home first thing in the morning.

That is a quick synopsis of my day, so here are a few things I learned about myself

First, going solo was actually really enjoying for me. I wasn't really lonely at all, and it was nice just do what I wanted and have no stress whatsoever about trying to keeps groups of people together or figure out what rides make sense in order to keep wait times down.

Second, being a solo person really is great when it comes to rides! The solo rider options really worked well for me. I did Indy and Splash mountain at PRIME time and walked right on the rides and bypassed the lines. Because of the light crowds in the morning hours, I really didn't need to take advantage of the solo stuff because there were no lines at all in the morning.

Third, when I go to Disneyland, I feel like I have to be going all the time. I can't take any time off, and so I push myself too much. I feel like I have to get my money's worth, but I probably should have taken it easier (taken a nap or something like that maybe). That is just a personal problem I have but it affects how I feel at the end of the day.

I am not sure I'll ever go solo again, not because it wasn't a good experience, but because of a bunch of other personal reasons that are kind of pointless to get into in this forum. However, if anyone is thinking about doing it, I wouldn't hesitate to try it at least once!

Thanks for reporting back! I am reading this with a future trip in mind for April. DH has a conference to go to in Long Beach and I am thinking about going to the parks solo during the day until he joins me in the evenings. It feels a little weird thinking about it, but I think it will give me time to really go shopping (which we don't really do too much together) and enjoy the atmosphere.

Anyway, I appreciate your point of view. And just want to say that as an AP holder, it really changes how you approach touring. We have learned to slow down a lot and really do a lot of the little things (like watch the live entertainment) that we used to skip in favor of the headliners.

I am sorry to hear you probably won't be back for awhile, but glad you had a good time. :goodvibes

I did a solo trip about a year ago while i was in SoCal on a business trip. Actually got a four day pass and used all four days. It was great getting to do things that I wanted, and at my own pace. Also got to eat what I wanted when I wanted, without worrying about what the kids might eat.

It was my first time at DL, and so I made a point to do everything. My kids called me "the creepy old guy" when I told them I even rode Fantasyland attractions. But overall, it was a great experience and the perks of being a solo rider were great. Planning another business trip next month and it will include another four day pass.

You've all hit on the upside of going solo--taking your time, browsing the shops, noticing stuff, going at your own pace, and appreciating all the little touches that make the park magical. :love: One of my favorite things is to get a cup of coffee and a muffin and sit on the "front porch" on Main St. and just watch people.

I've done the parks alone quite often since my daughter is in Irvine at college. Whenever I go down to visit her, I take some time at DL--either with or without her. It's always nice...

...EXCEPT for on Leap Day. I took my daughter and a friend and let them go off on their own without mom tagging along. I ended up spending TEN hours by myself. FAR TOO LONG for an extrovert! Especially on such a social occasion!

The best times are those when my husband has had a conference (did that once at WDW), or I'm meeting up with family/friends later. I get my alone time, but I know that I will have someone to go, "Look at that" to later on!

This was interesting for me to read since I went solo for the first time on my last trip and will be going again solo tomorrow or the next day. I was worried I'd feel lonely and/or out of place and was surprised to find that everything went great LOL Glad to hear someone else had a good time, as well :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter