Rental cars and two drivers?

C.Ann

<font color=green>We'll remember when...<br><font
Am I imagining things, or did I once read somewhere that you don't have to pay an additional fee for two drivers when renting a car as long as both drivers have car insurance that they carry at home?

I thought it had something to do with the theory that when people have car insurance of their own (in my case it would be myself - and my grown, married DD) we are each insured no matter what vehicle we drive. Is that correct or not?

Most rental agencies charge a fee for an extra driver - $5/day is what I see usually. The only agency that doesn't charge for extra drivers is National and it's only for spouses that I am aware of so I don't think you and your daughter could drive without paying. Best bet is to check with who you are renting from and see what their policy on extra drivers is.

I found this on the Avis website, hope it helps:

Additional Driver Fees
The fee for each additional driver is $25.00 per rental in most locations.

The following individuals are exempt from the fee but must be at least 25 years of age and in possession of a valid driver’s license:
renter’s employer or regular fellow employee when on company business
renter’s spouse
renter’s mate, life companion, significant other, live-in or similar
disabled renters who have completed the non-licensed renter form
Exceptions:
CALIFORNIA: There is no additional fee.
NEVADA: There is no additional fee.
NEW YORK: A $2.50 fee applies for rentals of 1-3 days; $5.00 for rentals of 4+ days.

The rules and exceptions for additional drivers vary by agency, location, discount code you're using, memebership in quick rent program and who the additional driver is (charge may be waived for spouse or business associate)

If you have an additional driver that should be a factor when you compare plans. Many agencies waive the extra fee for a spouse if you use the right discount code and/or are members of the "quick rent" card program.

BE CAREFUL an extra driver fee can wipe out whatever savings you might get from Hotwire or Priceline.

I just called National yesterday to ask if there was a fee for an additional driver (spouse) in Orlando. The person confirmed that there is a $5 per day fee for an additional driver.

I booked Alama through Costco and the additional driver fee is included in the rental.

Originally posted by antmaril
I just called National yesterday to ask if there was a fee for an additional driver (spouse) in Orlando. The person confirmed that there is a $5 per day fee for an additional driver.

I booked Alama through Costco and the additional driver fee is included in the rental.

But National waives the fee if you become a member of the Emerald Club. If you try hard enough (unless you use Hotwire or PL) there is usually a way to at least get the fee waived for a spouse over age 25.

Originally posted by beattyfamily
If you join Quicksilver with Alamo one of the benefits and no charge for a second driver.

I have yet to see that benefit show up for any of my QS rentals, through BJ's yes, QS no.

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
I have yet to see that benefit show up for any of my QS rentals, through BJ's yes, QS no.

This is what my last page says at Alamo.com no matter what coupon or codes I use (I used DC this time as an example):

QuickSilver Members: Items already checked below reflect your QuickSilver Master Rental Agreement.

Base Rate - Fullsize (USD)
(1) Weekly Rate ($156.74/wk).............................$156.74
Rate Code BY Associate ID 801988
Inclusive Rate Items
(1) Additional Driver......................................Included
Guaranteed Base Rate
Unlimited Mileage

Subtotal .......................................................... $156.74

Alamo has never charged me for a second driver since I joined Quicksilver. I don't know why??

I joined Emerald Club thru a link on mousesavers largely in order to avoid this fee.

Budget also does not charge it for spouses OR for friends/co-workers, etc travelling together. (at least that was the case in the past, it could have changed)

We just rented through Enterprise last week. The ressie was under my name as DH has no credit card in his name (and debit cards are not accepted at time of rental). There was no extra charge for him to drive the car and I am not any kind of Enterprise member -- just seems to be their policy with spouses. HTH!

I rented from National on May 2nd - I am an Emerald Club member, and we had taken a car off of the Aisle.

I handed my Emerald Club card to the person at the checkout kiosk, and asked if my husband could also drive. She indicated to me that there would be a $5/day fee to allow my husband to drive the car in addition to me.

So, we decided I would do the driving, and left.

National USED to allow spouses to also drive on the reservation for no fee, but they don't appear to allow that any more.

HOWEVER, I just found this info on National's website:

Free (in the United States and Canada) – An Emerald Club members spouse, business partner, employer, or fellow associate who has an assigned corporate contract with National and drives the car for business purposes.
All other additional authorized driver situations are subject to a daily charge.

So, who knows - looks like some people are enforcing a charge that they shouldn't be at National.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter