Reducing the Disney "Experience"

BC1836

DIS Veteran
The Disney "Experience," the quality that separates it from all other theme parks around the world, is slowly eroding.

Alas, in order to save some bucks, Off Kilter and Mo' Rockin are gone from Epcot. Add to that roster of fine talent, the Spirit of America, which provided visitors from other nations a taste of American exceptionalism. Gone also from Epcot is Myuki, the incredibly talented "candy lady." And Push, the "talking garbage can," which provided so many magical moments to guests of all ages in Tomorrowland, is gone, too.

And at the Food and Wine Festival there are fewer tables and seating from a year ago (not that there ever were enough)...and no more benches at the International Gateway. Guests end up eating at garbage cans, and no one can sit for even for a moment as they exit Epcot.

What is going on? :confused3

The Disney "Experience," the quality that separates it from all other theme parks around the world, is slowly eroding.

What is going on? :confused3

It used to be run in the spirit of Walt Disney.

More and more it is run in the spirit of pre-ghost Ebenezer Scrooge.

It used to be, "Give 'em MORE than they expect, and they will appreciate the difference."

Now it's becoming, "Give 'em LESS than they need, and they won't know the difference."

I know that Push being gone totally ruined the magic for my 3yo. He had to settle for meeting all his heroes instead.

I understand that you have no empathy for anyone else's sense of loss.

I just don't understand WHY.

If you actually cared about the Disney experience, I'd think that you would be aware
that at the rate they are cutting and reducing what makes WDW special,
things that ARE important to you (or your son...) just might be on the cutting block in the coming months.

Note how all but one of the changes you mentioned are at Epcot. I see Epcot as deteriorating faster than any of the other parks and I don't understand why.

The lack of seating in the parks and at the resorts is horrible, we noticed it last week.

I don't get this concept at all - it seems to me that if people have an opportunity to sit and rest for 5 minutes they will be happier and ready to continue to go go go. I know my feet sure do thank me for a bit of a rest and if my feet are hurting I tend to get pretty grouchy and leave the parks early.

It used to be, "Give 'em MORE than they expect, and they will appreciate the difference." Now it's becoming, "Give 'em LESS than they need, and they won't know the difference."

very well said.

Note how all but one of the changes you mentioned are at Epcot. I see Epcot as deteriorating faster than any of the other parks and I don't understand why.

I agree. I really hope that we are just seeing a large transitional period for WDW. Acts getting updated, park getting overhauled (DHS), park getting added onto to make it a FULL day park for all and more nighttime entertainment (AK.) DTD changing to Disney Springs. The new hub at MK... I HOPE we look back in 3-4 years and see where they were going. And be like, okay, it stunk for awhile but at least it was for a purpose. I can say that I am surprised that they are making so many changes at one time and so fast.

I understand that you have no empathy for anyone else's sense of loss. I just don't understand WHY. If you actually cared about the Disney experience, I'd think that you would be aware that at the rate they are cutting and reducing what makes WDW special, things that ARE important to you (or your son...) just might be on the cutting block in the coming months.

Will they ever get rid of the Castle? Or meet and greets with the main characters? Or evening shows and parades? To me therein lies the magic. Not a talking trash can. Yes, I agree that they are cutting corners, yes it hurts to see, but no do I ever think a trip to WDW will have the magic of a trip to Six flags.

Will they ever get rid of the Castle? Or meet and greets with the main characters? Or evening shows and parades? To me therein lies the magic. Not a talking trash can. Yes, I agree that they are cutting corners, yes it hurts to see, but no do I ever think a trip to WDW will have the magic of a trip to Six flags.

Well said- it's still plenty magical for us. Are we sad to see some things go? Sure but we're excited for what's to come and disney isn't getting any less magical for us because a talking trash can is taken away.

Planogirl, it's sad to say, but I think they feel it's doin' just fine as it is. Because in their eyes, it's raking in the dough.

Food and alcohol sales just keep chugging along.

No matter how much they raise the prices, or make the beers smaller at F&W, or start pre-mixing the 'Ritas at La Cava, or raise the food prices - people keep buying and keep filling the restaurants.

Food , bev, and merch make the Theme Park world go 'round.

Next to MK, EPCOT's their big money-maker, and their big special events playground.

What can you do.

If I can ever get that time machine thing going, maybe we can get the rest of the EPCOT groupies together and hit 1985 EPCOT just for ole time's sake.....

Never say never. If they could do this to the castle, they're capable of doing anything!

To the PP I was there to see that ugliness. Horrible. Am I the only one that thinks these decisions weren't made for reasons of money. Maybe Push because the contract was up. But, how much money do just a couple of people cost? Those shows in Epcot were just peoples salaries right? Seems like A LOT of other endeavors are costing a lot more than any of that.

I'm usually not one to complain about changes and even the loss of this, that or the other, but we just got done digging thru some old videos and one was the Lights of Winter back in 2002 . Cast In Bronze plays at a local Renfaire my daughters work at, so nice to still get to hear them at least. sigh:sad:

I don't know why either....

Planogirl, it's sad to say, but I think they feel it's doin' just fine as it is. Because in their eyes, it's raking in the dough. Food and alcohol sales just keep chugging along. No matter how much they raise the prices, or make the beers smaller at F&W, or start pre-mixing the 'Ritas at La Cava, or raise the food prices - people keep buying and keep filling the restaurants. Food , bev, and merch make the Theme Park world go 'round. Next to MK, EPCOT's their big money-maker, and their big special events playground. What can you do. If I can ever get that time machine thing going, maybe we can get the rest of the EPCOT groupies together and hit 1985 EPCOT just for ole time's sake.....
We could not agree more with your comments. Down 10 days for F&W...we set aside X amount for touring and sampling...this year was a tipping point with less quality and sample size, as well as 1/2 full 6oz. Beers for $3.75? It's a dixie cup! We did not spend 25% of our budget and we are rethinking next year. I still love Disney...We will be back down for Xmas thru New Years but we find ourselves spending time outside the parks. We speak with our wallets.

Planogirl, it's sad to say, but I think they feel it's doin' just fine as it is. Because in their eyes, it's raking in the dough.

Food and alcohol sales just keep chugging along.

No matter how much they raise the prices, or make the beers smaller at F&W, or start pre-mixing the 'Ritas at La Cava, or raise the food prices - people keep buying and keep filling the restaurants.

Food , bev, and merch make the Theme Park world go 'round.

Next to MK, EPCOT's their big money-maker, and their big special events playground.

What can you do.

If I can ever get that time machine thing going, maybe we can get the rest of the EPCOT groupies together and hit 1985 EPCOT just for ole time's sake.....
All I can say is that people have been watching the Kardashians for years too. Not that I would compare Disney to them ;) but people have their own tastes and I respect that. I don't always understand it but I respect it.

And yes, please get that time machine going!

I'm usually not one to complain about changes and even the loss of this, that or the other, but we just got done digging thru some old videos and one was the Lights of Winter back in 2002 . Cast In Bronze plays at a local Renfaire my daughters work at, so nice to still get to hear them at least. sigh:sad:

I don't know why either....
The Lights of Winter was beautiful. I'm grateful to have had a chance to see it.

At least MK and DHS are still pretty amazing at Christmas time.

We could not agree more with your comments. Down 10 days for F&W...we set aside X amount for touring and sampling...this year was a tipping point with less quality and sample size, as well as 1/2 full 6oz. Beers for $3.75? It's a dixie cup! We did not spend 25% of our budget and we are rethinking next year. I still love Disney...We will be back down for Xmas thru New Years but we find ourselves spending time outside the parks. We speak with our wallets.

This thread originated about the "magic" of Disney being lost. And this is a post of the economics of how much alcohol you get for your dollar.

I get it, they are cutting back and it stinks. It makes us all reach even further in our pockets.

But, priorities. If the Magic of Disney is how much beer you get at a beer festival is your magic, I can recommend at least a dozen East Coast beer Fests that you will feel you get your money's worth at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter