Recent experiences at Jiko?

ML_LovesDisney

DIS Veteran
Hi all, I am compiling my trip list of restaurants and we haven't eaten at Jiko in close to 14 years. Any recent experiences? What did you have, what did you like? How does it compare to the other signatures?

Thanks!

We just were there earlier this month - it's become our favorite signature dining experience. We've dined there 3 times in past 2 years. Among our favorites are the wild boar tenderloin app, the venison loin, the short-rib, the mac & cheese, duck confit flatbread.....! They've always had some fun, tasty, and incredibly presented desserts. Would highly recommend giving it a try. The restaurant is beautiful, and the service (for us) has been outstanding.

I ate there for the first time a few weeks ago. I was solo as my husband wasn't feeling well. It was fine, but I was a bit disappointed. The boar tenderloin app was absolutely delicious, but my oak grilled filet was average at best. The sauce was the best part but it needed more of it as the cut of meat just wasn't great - definitely not up to a signature restaurant standard. I would have asked for more sauce but my server never came back to check on me until I was pretty much done. The mac and cheese it came with was good, but nothing special (I make better at home). Service was decent - not great - and I got some some serious attitude from the hostess when I politely declined sitting at the cooking place bar as those seats are not comfortable for me. She seemed very displeased that I wanted an actual table, and made no attempt to hide it. I understand that I was a single asking to sit at a 2 top, but come on. She was honestly rude about it.

All in all I won't be back for a while. I know my experience is not the norm, though. Most people love it. Maybe I just hit them on an off night? We might try it again down the road - but not for awhile. For that kind of money, I'd much rather go to Topolino's, Narcoosee or Flying Fish for example. And at AKL I'd pick Boma or Sanaa over this 100% where we've had several excellent meals.

It's amazing how much lesser or poor service can make a difference to the experience. We had a similar very disappointing experience this month at Flying Fish. I know how much several of our friends love it there - but we won't be back for a bit. Sounds like that's what you experienced at Jiko. We had such amazing service at Jiko this month that we actually sent a cast member compliment - she made the meal very special. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw on servers, but it leaves an impression.......

Oh my.....Jiko is an amazing restaurant! I have never had a bad experience or negative food experience there. CMs have been wonderful, ....the bread...oh, dear....the bread!! And the Boar tenderloin....heaven! They have South African wine, which is a favorite for me, but not everyone enjoys that. I can't predict if you will enjoy it, but I surely did!!

Attachments

• vtnSquSpSmGoV84RC0VkSA.jpg
    vtnSquSpSmGoV84RC0VkSA.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Yai%4dtFTJGCZ7zXFPR3+A.jpg
    Yai%4dtFTJGCZ7zXFPR3+A.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 30MLYEGJSjus6gNYn%v%cQ.jpg
    30MLYEGJSjus6gNYn%v%cQ.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 18
  • gO9doiunTN67hwrBhVIzlg.jpg
    gO9doiunTN67hwrBhVIzlg.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 18
Atmosphere is great. Service is quite good. Excellent wine selection. Meat-based dishes are quite good, some great.

AVOID the vegetarian options, they include some of the worst food on property like the Injera Basket (which is unfortunate, but has been the case for my vegetarian wife multiple times at Jiko).

Sadly DH and I are a little off of Jiko right now. We ate there last year for Valentine's Day and had an iffy experience. No big deal, anyone can have an off night. Well this year for Valentine's Day we were seated late for a 5pm seating...literally watched who ended up being our server running into the restaurant as we were waiting. Service was ridiculously slow. The wild boar tenderloin was amazing as always, but my filet was seriously not good. It just wasn't the experience it used to be for the second year in a row. I guess next year we'll be taking a break and hopefully things will change.

We love Jiko and always request to sit at “the cooking place” which is the bar at the wood burning ovens where they make the salads and flatbreads. First off it’s fun talking to the chefs and watching them prepare the food and second your always getting good service because your sitting with 2 chefs LOL.
The wild boar and duck confit flatbread are excellent. I like ordering appetizers and sides and get a nice assortment

We were there in January and both had the short rib - delicious. No need for a knife, so tender.

We were there in January as well, and as others have mentioned, the wild boar was outstanding. I had the venison which was delicious. Our service was great, too.

Sadly DH and I are a little off of Jiko right now. We ate there last year for Valentine's Day and had an iffy experience. No big deal, anyone can have an off night. Well this year for Valentine's Day we were seated late for a 5pm seating...literally watched who ended up being our server running into the restaurant as we were waiting. Service was ridiculously slow. The wild boar tenderloin was amazing as always, but my filet was seriously not good. It just wasn't the experience it used to be for the second year in a row. I guess next year we'll be taking a break and hopefully things will change.
Ok so I have to agree. We have eaten here for 14 years. Always in our top 3. November trip our meal was fine but not like it used to be so we passed on this week. Same menu.

Yah that boar app is awesome. The duck flatbread is really really good. But our mains last trip we both not really great. So we passed.

Very very sad to say.

We love Jiko and always request to sit at “the cooking place” which is the bar at the wood burning ovens where they make the salads and flatbreads. First off it’s fun talking to the chefs and watching them prepare the food and second your always getting good service because your sitting with 2 chefs LOL.
The wild boar and duck confit flatbread are excellent. I like ordering appetizers and sides and get a nice assortment
Absolutely! I did this the last time there and it took the experience to the next level.

We were there in October and it was as good as ever. have not sat at the bar there, but have at other restaurants and it's always fun.

Jiko is by far my favorite "fancy" restaurant at Disney.

Note: I can not afford V&A's so that does not enter the equation haha.

The pork belly appetizer is excellent. My steak over macaroni and cheese was good, but not very good let alone great. The reduction sauce was a woefully small amount.

I ate there for the first time a few weeks ago. I was solo as my husband wasn't feeling well. It was fine, but I was a bit disappointed. The boar tenderloin app was absolutely delicious, but my oak grilled filet was average at best. The sauce was the best part but it needed more of it as the cut of meat just wasn't great - definitely not up to a signature restaurant standard. I would have asked for more sauce but my server never came back to check on me until I was pretty much done. The mac and cheese it came with was good, but nothing special (I make better at home). Service was decent - not great - and I got some some serious attitude from the hostess when I politely declined sitting at the cooking place bar as those seats are not comfortable for me. She seemed very displeased that I wanted an actual table, and made no attempt to hide it. I understand that I was a single asking to sit at a 2 top, but come on. She was honestly rude about it.

All in all I won't be back for a while. I know my experience is not the norm, though. Most people love it. Maybe I just hit them on an off night? We might try it again down the road - but not for awhile. For that kind of money, I'd much rather go to Topolino's, Narcoosee or Flying Fish for example. And at AKL I'd pick Boma or Sanaa over this 100% where we've had several excellent meals.
Ahhh, sorry that it was mediocre. Glad you mentioned it though because I would probably order a filet.

Thanks all! Sounds like it can be hit or miss with some great experiences and some more mediocre. We'll probably give it another try just because it's been so long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter