• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Really? Come on Man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For every person who abuses it, there are a lot of people, like my son, who refused it even though he was eligible because he would rather not be stigmatized.

Everything is done via MDE and Fastpass LIghtning Lane touch points. Other than it not actually being a LL/ILL pass, it looks and acts exactly the same. So no one other than you and the CM at the LL point needs to know what kind of pass is being used.

I didn't know that .... figured that since it showed up in the side panel here today it was new.

Please understand I saw the article listed in the side panel TODAY not back in2022 or whenever so to me this is new .... don't want it discussed perhaps it ought not to have been up for perusal today.

I understand! I saw & read the article for the first time today also. I just looked, all the other suggested “news & updates” items are written today. I would have no reason to suspect this article wasn’t either. As someone who has never used or researched DAS, I would have no reason to think it had incorrect information. I guess I give the Dis too much credit. I assumed the administrators would vet an article’s accuracy before promoting them as news & updates. I get so much current & valuable info from posters here, I guess I just assumed promoted articles would be just as accurate.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/has-disney’s-das-pass-become-a-dasaster.3898918/post-64368448

Vague use of “tries not to use it” didn’t confirm to me. Sounded like trying not to use DAS until desperation. A prior article from May 2020 the author stated:

”…This is offered by Disney based on nothing but the say-so of the individual or the carer. You require no proof, no additional information or diagnostic reports, nothing to prove the severity of the condition, just a simple show of good faith by Disney that if you say you need the assistance, they will provide it no questions asked

…The news story regarding the lawsuit against Disney on behalf of severely autistic or mentally disabled individuals has me struggling to reconcile with my own ethical and logical thoughts. I have written many other articles centered around traveling with special needs but one question that is always asked is why I don’t place more emphasis on the DAS services. Let me be blunt, I make my children stand in line. Not because I don’t know about the DAS pass but because I feel that they can. They either are able to or are close enough to be able to cope that I think the experience is an educational one, an opportunity to grow and learn using the most significant incentive of all, Disney, as the bait. Sure I could easily go and ask for the pass, leaving us with a more comfortable and streamlined day. However, does that genuinely benefit my children in the way that being encouraged to persevere and practice waiting does? For my particular circumstances, I believe the lesson outweighs the assistance. After all, they will not be 8 and 10 forever. They are soon to be heading into their teens years and adulthood, where the world will be less and less accommodating of their needs, so my husband and I agree on the importance of preparing them for the world rather than trying to prepare the world for them.

That is not to say this is the correct decision for all families dealing with special needs. There are some out there that do, and should, take advantage of these passes so they can make the experience possible. There are also plenty of people out there to throw up a hand for a very mildly diagnosed difficulty or even worse, not having one at all, to take advantage of services they don’t need.”

I can’t help but feel her #1 motivation here is imposing a morality scale where her and her children are all eligible for DAS but they forego is at the top, and eligible guests using DAS when not in desperation is somewhere below.

Anyway if it's an off limits topic and discussion maybe the dis needs to delete the article off it's site.
This.
Not sure why this article has any purpose here as it is clearly an OPINION (RANT) piece with no value. Too bad DIS has "writers" like this.
I assumed the administrators would vet an article’s accuracy before promoting them as news & updates. I get so much current & valuable info from posters here, I guess I just assumed promoted articles would be just as accurate.
And this.

When Disney started charging for fast passes the system became ripe for abuse I see on many Facebook groups people soliciting exactly what to say to cast members when doing your video call. Shameful.
When Disney started charging for Fastpass, a lot of people who used to manage their needs in the parks with Fastpass because they didn't want to stand in line at Guest Services and reveal potentially embarrassing information, because they felt like they'd be judged by other guests because their disability was invisible, because the very thing that made waiting in the standby queue difficult made approaching a CM to ask for the DAS just as difficult, etc., gave in and applied.

And I can personally attest that some CMs will deny DAS to one guest with the very same condition/symptoms/needs as another guest who happened to get a different CM. And some people with legitimate needs struggle to explain them in a way the CMs will understand. Especially people whose needs are related to mental health, neurodivergence, etc. So at least some of the people trying to figure out what to say to CMs are just looking for help describing their very real needs.

Again, I'm not denying that some people abuse the system. But I'd need to see a lot of data before I believed that it was a significant enough number to warrant risking denying assistance to those who need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter