REAL work from home companies

2cutekids

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know of any legit work from home companies that do not involve selling or telemarketing? :scratchin I don't mind time consuming or hard work, but I am very uncomfortable when it comes to selling/making phone calls. :blush: I don't know what all is out there on the web, so any ideas are welcome! I homeschool my DD7 & DS7 and I would love to make some extra $$$ to take the burden of coming up with vacation (mainly DISNEY!!) money off of my husband. :wizard:

2cutekids said:
Does anyone know of any legit work from home companies that do not involve selling or telemarketing? :scratchin I don't mind time consuming or hard work, but I am very uncomfortable when it comes to selling/making phone calls. :blush: I don't know what all is out there on the web, so any ideas are welcome! I homeschool my DD7 & DS7 and I would love to make some extra $$$ to take the burden of coming up with vacation (mainly DISNEY!!) money off of my husband. :wizard:

I think there are tons of "get rich quick" companies out there that would love to scam you, I don't know of any legit companies though.

I work from home doing medical transcription for a local hospital system. There is a lot involved in the schooling and I definitely would not recommend it to someone homeschooling or with young children. Some ladies are coordinated enough to do it with little ones, but im not one of them. My kids are both in school, so the bulk of my work gets done during that time of day. Once I bring them home we work on homework and do dinner and then I go back to work and finish while they are playing. Im usually done by shower and bedtime. Im not a morning person but I would like to start making myself get up early and work a few so that once they come home from school I will be done myself.

stitchmom said:
Hi- I just started working for WEST, which is a legitimate company.

I checked in to this, filled out the registration and took the test. It then asked me the best time for an over the phone interview, so I checked that as well. In the email they sent me, there was a number to call and give an interview through an automated system, it said that at the end of the phone call it will ask for my social security number for a background check. Does this include my credit?

I hate when they do a credit check for a job, it is really not a needed thing for a job. I don't mind a background check, as I have no criminal record :) but my credit is my personal biz :)

Do you remember what was involved in the background check?

stitchmom said:
Hi- I really don't know what goes into the background check :confused3 . I would guess they are more concerned with any criminal activity, since you will be receiving tons of credit card numbers. They do have a telephone number on their website, I believe. If you call them, maybe they will be able to tell you. Hope it works out!

They probably are checking your credit. You may consider it your personal business, but if this company is trusting you with their customers' cc #'s and other sensitive information, they consider it their business. The rationale is that if you're way in debt and/or have bad credit, you are more likely to engage in fraudulent activity, out of desperation or something.

Checking credit is not a new idea for a job by any means, but I've noticed a lot more companies doing it. I'm not in debt, and I have decent credit....nothing that puts me in a 'risk' for a job. What bites is that each time someone checks your credit it puts a mark on it, and that mark takes 3-5 points from your credit score. When you're fixing to start process on a mortgage loan, every point matters.

Guess I'll forgo the full application/interview just to be safe. On a side note, the poster that works for this company said all they had to buy was XP software. But, don't you also have to keep a DSL or Cable connection? And do you have to have a separate phone line for all the incoming calls? How much are designated 800 numbers, if that is what you have to have? I guess I don't understand how someone can call an 800 number and be routed to me in my tiny little city with no cost but the phone line to me.

Oh well, back to the drawing board :)

Hi, I have also been working for West since about August. I stumbled upon them when I went to apply for the local West company in my area and found that I could work from home. As far as the background check went, I think it was just criminal since you do handle peoples cc and bank account numbers on a regular basis. On top of taking phone calls for infomericials, I am also trained to take phone calls for H*N, which is a home shopping network. I am also in the process of being trained for phone calls for OD. If you have any questions, just pm me.

There are TONS of companies you can work for. I belong to another message board that you can register for and there is a lot of info there. I am not sure if it's ok to post the link though so PM if you want it.

I also work for West.I can tell you there are days that you are bored silly and you make no money at all.So unless you spend many,many hours working the money is not that good.
Now, they did contact me about CSC which is the medicare part D and that line rings constantly.You do not have time to breath.You are gauranteed 8.00 per hourif you work at least 80% of the shift you signed up for or the talk time which ever is higher.I have been making between 8-14.00 per hour with this line.I can only work it a few hours a day because i also babysit my DN.But you have to have an invite for it,you cannot just apply.They have also contacted me about Walgreens,it is only a 5 week job,but if I work at least 10 hours by January 27th,I get a 100.00 bonus.
So there is money to be made at home but you also have to be careful.

I don't see why you couldn't use a cellphone, but unless you have unlimited talk time, your cell bill would be outragous.

Cheryl

You have to have a land line for this.That is a requirement.You cant even use a cordless,or your not suppose to.You also have to have a headset.Walmart carries a phone and has a headset for like 10.00,thats what I use and I have had no problem.

I'm having a few troubles w/ the WEST site. It keeps telling me I'm idle too long (20 minute limit) when it's been less than 3 minutes. Anyone else having this problem??? I have XP and cable modem.

kilee said:
I'm having a few troubles w/ the WEST site. It keeps telling me I'm idle too long (20 minute limit) when it's been less than 3 minutes. Anyone else having this problem??? I have XP and cable modem.
I've never had any problems being on the site. Now I am working right now for West sat idle because the two hours that I choose were not good ones.

Cheryl

luvindisneyworld said:
You have to have a land line for this.That is a requirement.You cant even use a cordless,or your not suppose to.You also have to have a headset.Walmart carries a phone and has a headset for like 10.00,thats what I use and I have had no problem.
I guess I never realized that I couldn't use my cordless. I use it all the time and have never had any problems. I just make sure that it's always charged, but it also helps that we have three the same so I just pick one and charge it.

Cheryl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter