RCL Anthem in rough storm yesterday

We have been on 9 cruises and have only sailed in the January through early March time frame and we have never had any issues with weather. I would say that as long as your port of departure is Florida or farther south it shouldn't be that big of an issue.

For somebody from Minnesota, the first couple months of the year are the BEST time to travel somewhere warm as far as I'm concerned.

Looks like Disney isn't the only line that chooses to sail into weather so bad that frightened guests are told to stay in their cabins. When cruise line Captains choose to do so, whether it's Hurricane Sandy or Winter Storm Mars, the aftermath is healthy publicity that encourages the cruise lines to, once again, remember that safety is more important than revenues. Events like these help renew the cautious decisions that should be made, and perhaps restores them for another couple of years of cruises (at least for a while until some Captain again makes a poor decision).

We are booked on the fantasy for next Christmas and I have to say this has made me nervous enough to think twice. My DD would be terrified and I think I would be too. I hadn't realised winter cruising was such a risk.

Really unsure what to do! :confused3

We were on an eleven night southern Caribbean cruise in December 2010. The day between St. Thomas and Castaway Cay was a sea day, and the weather was rough. All pools were closed due to the rocking of the ship, and temperature dropped dramatically. The crew brought racks of blankets on deck, so people could still stay on deck and not get too cold. While rough, it still seemed okay. In the evening, it felt like the aft part of the ship was raised in the air, and then slammed down. It made a very loud noise. The captain came on almost immediately to describe the situation, and that everyone was safe, and the ship was designed to do exactly what it had just done. All the crew also reassured everyone that things were okay.

I don't say this to scare you, but only to acknowledge that weather can happen. We felt safe, and had no concerns about anything bad happening to the ship. It did make the cruise slightly less enjoyable for these 24 hours, but in no way 'ruined' our vacation. It can happen, but it is rare. I would encourage you to continue with your plans. In the rare case that weather becomes an issue, you and your daughter should talk to the crew. They will do their best to describe the situation, and to explain why you are safe. And to pull out the tired but true statement, you are more likely to have a safety issue with driving to the cruise ship in your car, than on the cruise ship itself.

I have a question, Anthem of the Seas is a huge cruise, what can happened if was a smaller cruise like the Wonder? Can the cruise capsize?

In theory, any ship can capsize. All ships have criteria that they can handle. Basically if they cant get out of the way of the weather for whatever the reason, they will put the ship into an attitude the build engineers say. For some ship might be bow on, for others it might be an angle. A ship like the Oasis class, will flex in different points simultaneously. Something the size of the Wonder, should only flex in 1 area.

We are booked on the fantasy for next Christmas and I have to say this has made me nervous enough to think twice. My DD would be terrified and I think I would be too. I hadn't realised winter cruising was such a risk.

I would continue with your plans without hesitation. Although bad weather happens any time, hurricane season is LONG gone by Christmas. You may have some slightly rough seas, but I doubt they will be even memorable in the unlikely event they happen.

Regardless of the seaworthiness of a any cruise ship (Disney successfully went through hurricane Sandy while other cruise lines waited it out, for example), a large storm at sea can be scary. People may tell you how safe it is (and it is), but that doesn't change a feeling of concern, anxiety, or even fear when you have to stay in your cabin while the ship rolls and the ship's public areas are a mess the next day. I wouldn't be concerned for my safety, but that doesn't mean I should minimize your concern.

What I'm saying is if you have a real concern about being scared by very rough seas, you may wish to consider avoiding the hurricane season. Hundreds of ships sail very safely during that season, and just a handful encounter scary weather (almost all wait it out or go around it), but if you have a deep concern, do what you're doing. Weather in the winter is mild, seas are calm, and you will have a fantastic time.

I wouldn't worry about it. Anytime of year carries a risk that the ships will become rollercoasters for lack of a better term. You can sail in Oct and have a hurricane decide to play tag with cruise ships. You can sail in the winter and have basically a hurricane say tada here I'm am. Spring is the same way. The ships are more then built to take what they have been handed to date and then some. Contrary to popular belief, the Capts will do everything they can to avoid the severest weather for any number of reasons. Guest comfort, damage in the ship like bottles and plates etc falling and breaking. Broken glass on the outside decks etc.....

Winter cruising is not, in fact, a particularly high risk activity. There are several hundred cruise ships roaming around the globe 365 days a year, and the number of times one of them encounters hurricane-force winds is perhaps once every few years. Your chances of actually experiencing anything like what the Anthem passengers encountered are incredibly low. Most of them time if there's a major storm, the ship can avoid the bulk of it. You might go through the edge of one and have slightly higher wave motion, but that doesn't knock things off ledges or require passengers to stay in their cabins.

I live in Washington, and a few years ago we had a massive wind storm that was knocking down trees and power lines, and I was lying in bed listening to the very loud wind and thinking hard about the big trees right next to our house on our neighbor's property, and about what would happen if one of them fell over. And of course we're expecting a massive earthquake any day now, and Mt. Rainier could erupt at any time. So you basically can't escape.

If you want to ensure you never encounter scary weather, you pretty much have to move to Arizona and stay there. It's one of the least disaster-prone places on earth. No tropical storms, no serious tornadoes, no volcanoes, no earthquakes, no swarms of locusts and very few rains of frogs. Even then, there's occasionally a big lightning storm with a lot of thunder. But the lightning tends to hit radio towers, and even if it hit the ground there's nothing to burn. High rates of skin cancer, though, so maybe lay in a supply of SPF 100. :)

I just lived one of your nightmares last year! We had a giant wind storm here, I was in bed, when my neighbors giant tree landed on my house hitting my garage, den, bedroom & patio. Water came in on me in bed!!! I heard the loudest crack in my life & my entire house & ground shook so bad. I was so scared that I couldn't remember my husbands phone number. I could've died, but I was blessed to live in a brick ranch that is lined in the walls with cement blocks- well built in the 1950s. Theyre still doing repairs on my home now.

Last edited:
I just lived one of your nightmares last year! We had a giant wind storm here, I was in bed, when my neighbors giant tree landed on my house hitting my garage, den, bedroom & patio. Water came in on me in bed!!! I heard the loudest crack in my life & my entire house & ground shook so bad. I was so scared that I couldn't remember my husbands phone number. I could've died, but I was blessed to live in a brick ranch that is lined in the walls with cement blocks- well built in the 1950s. Theyre still doing repairs on my home now.
Yikes! Glad to hear you're OK. You can repair a house; it's a lot harder to repair damage to yourself.

Angeejoe's post is a reminder of why storms are generally much more damaging on land than over water. On land there are all these hard objects that can be thrown around and hit things, like trees and pieces of houses and so forth. In the open ocean, the wind is just pushing water around. You don't get so many flying tree limbs and car hoods. It's scary, but really your chances of survival are higher in a ship in deep water than on land, given similar wind speeds.

Last edited:
Yikes! Glad to hear you're OK. You can repair a house; it's a lot harder to repair damage to yourself.

Thanks! It was the scariest thing I've ever had personally happen to me in my life. I added some pics to my post!!

Thank you so much to everyone for all the feed back I truly appreciate it and have taken it all on board. I won't let my fears stop me having a great vacation.

This must have been terrifying, I am so glad you are ok and it really puts my fear into perspective. I'm sorry this happened to you and any others that were affected

Thank you all again

Don't worry about it, it really isn't important. I was just trying to figure out if she was sailing roughly the same time/place as Anthem which I realize she wasn't. All this cruise talk is reminding me I'm supposed to be booking one for myself right now and need to get it done!

I figured it out last night. On he basic site it only shows you a certain amount of time prior. After that you have to upgrade to the next level to see more of a past track.

I have a question, Anthem of the Seas is a huge cruise, what can happened if was a smaller cruise like the Wonder? Can the cruise capsize?

Good Morning,

Any vessel, given the right circumstances,can capsize. The size really does not have anything to do with it. Cruise ships are carefully designed and computer and model (water tank) tested. The stability of the vessel can be adjusted by the adding or removal of ballast, the course and speed, in other words, the expertise and seamanship of the Maser in of paramount importance in the safely of the vessel and the smooth or rolling and pitching ride of the vessel.

AKK

Why did it take Anthem so long to get back?

Not sure if you heard yet, but one of the Azipod's has an issue. I believe it was the port one, and when they docked they actually used at least one tug to help dock her. There are some pictures out on twitter that show the wake only on the starboard side. Of course now there is a debate as to when it started experiencing issues.

Not sure if you heard yet, but one of the Azipod's has an issue. I believe it was the port one, and when they docked they actually used at least one tug to help dock her. There are some pictures out on twitter that show the wake only on the starboard side. Of course now there is a debate as to when it started experiencing issues.

Of course.

And now for the bombshell. I found the weather advisories for the period of Feb 7th and 8th. No where on any of the advisories I could find, does it come close to 100mph winds or waves greater then 30 feet. Personally I think they got caught with unpredicted weather.

AMZ150-072100-

/O.CON.KMHX.GL.W.0007.160207T1400Z-160208T1200Z/

S OF CURRITUCK BEACH LIGHT TO OREGON INLET NC OUT 20 NM-

350 AM EST SUN FEB 7 2016

...GALE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM THIS MORNING TO 7 AM

EST MONDAY...

* WINDS...NORTH 30 TO 40 KT WITH A FEW GUSTS UP TO 50 KT.

* SEAS...13 TO 18 FEET.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A GALE WARNING MEANS WINDS OF 34 TO 47 KNOTS ARE IMMINENT OR

OCCURRING. OPERATING A VESSEL IN GALE CONDITIONS REQUIRES

EXPERIENCE AND PROPERLY EQUIPPED VESSELS. IT IS HIGHLY

RECOMMENDED THAT MARINERS WITHOUT THE PROPER EXPERIENCE SEEK SAFE

HARBOR PRIOR TO THE ONSET OF GALE CONDITIONS.

This is Feb 8ths

AMZ150-081200-

/O.CON.KMHX.SR.W.0001.000000T0000Z-160208T1200Z/

S OF CURRITUCK BEACH LIGHT TO OREGON INLET NC OUT 20 NM-

104 AM EST MON FEB 8 2016

...STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST THIS MORNING...

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 30 TO 40 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 55 KT.

* SEAS...13 TO 18 FEET.

Dam right that is a bomb shell!

Truck, I totally agree with what you said, OK.......gale and storm winds, but no indication of 100+ winds, and on Sunday, really just gales winds. Nothing even close to 100+ winds. Plus the storm was moving off shore to give him space to slip by Hatteras and down the SE, US coastline.

The nasty storm, come out of no where, and locked him in.

I see no reason why the Captain would not have sailed.

I am wondering now how the weather people could go on TV and radio, saying there was a forecast of 100+ winds.

AKK

Dam right that is a bomb shell!

Truck, I totally agree with what you said, OK.......gale and storm winds, but no indication of 100+ winds, and on Sunday, really just gales winds. Nothing even close to 100+ winds. Plus the storm was moving off shore to give him space to slip by Hatteras and down the SE, US coastline.

The nasty storm, come out of no where, and locked him in.

I see no reason why the Captain would not have sailed.

I am wondering now how the weather people could go on TV and radio, saying there was a forecast of 100+ winds.

AKK
I agree. There's nothing that jumps out and says there's going to be a problem. The reports for the following days are even better with less wind and waves for the area.

As far as 100mph winds maybe the week before the computer spit out a probability but in the next few days conditions changed to what was predicted. Then conditions changed again and we're close to last week's predictions. Weather for caster have a hard time with tom forcast, I'm not surprised it was wrong. It happens. It's just an unfortunate circumstance. Though I did hear the other day they think now that the Gulf Stream may have played a bigger part in conditions then previously thought since due to El Nino it was closer to shore along the path the Anthem took.

I agree. There's nothing that jumps out and says there's going to be a problem. The reports for the following days are even better with less wind and waves for the area.

As far as 100mph winds maybe the week before the computer spit out a probability but in the next few days conditions changed to what was predicted. Then conditions changed again and we're close to last week's predictions. Weather for caster have a hard time with tom forcast, I'm not surprised it was wrong. It happens. It's just an unfortunate circumstance. Though I did hear the other day they think now that the Gulf Stream may have played a bigger part in conditions then previously thought since due to El Nino it was closer to shore along the path the Anthem took.

You all are making me feel better about sailing RCCl, regardless of what some people are trying to say, it looks like the master of the ship was speaking the truth that the storm was not what they expected, similar what happened to DCL with Sandy. I also read that of course the majority of the people that the news shows were showing were the sky is falling people.

This guy had some hilarious pictures from the trip, he seemed to make lemonade out of a lemon.
https://twitter.com/JosephTornatore/status/697618359970459649

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter