Rant: Please please please wear your mask on rides or you will ruin it for everyone

While at SeaWorls 2 weeks ago I found that my mask blew down on Manta on the very first drop and I felt awful that the pics on that ride were likely ruined. I switched to a different mask after that and had no problems.

My son had his mask blow off on Jurassic Park at UO a few days before we went to WDW earlier this month. Luckily he caught it so he didn't lose it, and we still got the picture. My personal opinion is that WDW has been way over the top being heavy handed with their ride photo policy to the point of being juvenile about it. No better then some schools that punish the whole class cause one kid acts out, not fair there and not fair here when 99.9% of folks are following the rules and some incidents could have been accidental.

We were just at UO this weekend, and when we got on Jurassic Park we were told we could remove them for that ride. I was just going to pull mine down a bit because it was nice to have fresh air, but glad I did remove it completely because I got a face full of water!

Like a PP said, UO rides are jerky, mine slid down off my nose a few times, on Hagrid's for example.

I know first hand how crazy Disney folks can be. Someone on this message board took the time and energy to seek out my home phone number and leave a message telling my wife she is a horrible person.

The anger at which people respond to others is scary.

You need to take things like that serious... That is pretty much on the verge of stalking...and/or harassment... I hope you wrote down the number and reported it to your phone provider, as well as a non-emergency to the police... To go to such lengths to do this, is not a normal response to what someone's opinion is on a message board... Think about it, if they are that upset to spend the time and energy digging around to find out personal info. what else would they be willing to do, find out your address? or where you work or your wife works at? what about your kids there school and after school activities. People put everything out there on Facebook and such, the info is right there for the taking... you never know just how crazy someone is willing to get or how far they will go.

You have to protect yourself, and your family. You are the first line of defense to yours and your family safety...

My brother is a retired deputy, and we have friends in law enforcement...and things right now are pretty scary, more crime, less people to protect. Not a good combo...

I know this is crazy but if you can't get your picture because someone not in your party isn't wearing a mask then they should get you a FP for that ride.

My girlfriend went on Tower of Tower. We didn't get her photo. Turns out some jerks didn't have their masks on.

Disney's policy is if any one person doesn't have a mask on properly during a ride, then no one on that ride gets a photo. I am absolutely livid at jerks that STILL can't do one simple thing so we can all enjoy the experience as best as possible during this trying time. I hope those guests were reamed for what they did and I wish I could laugh in their face (figurarively at this time) when they find out they can't get the photos & videos of them without masks.

Luckily the Photopass castmember was able to work with me and crop the photo taken on ToT. Just disappointed we can't get the video too because idiot people can't follow basic rules.

/rant

When you see someone without a mask just start hack coughing. Then say no no, it's not Covid, it's allergies.

If Disney wanted to manipulate the photos, they should take out the people not wearing masks/not wearing them correctly (so it looks like no one was sitting there to begin with). But, that would probably take some time to do correctly. The other "easier" solution would be to put a mosaic/color over their face. I took a random picture from the web and blocked one person and pixelated another.
View attachment 544223

The woman in black looks like she's having tons o'fun.

I know first hand how crazy Disney folks can be. Someone on this message board took the time and energy to seek out my home phone number and leave a message telling my wife she is a horrible person.

The anger at which people respond to others is scary.
I hear you. I had the same exact problem here back in 2001. I had to create a new login to avoid the lady and also changed our phone number. She has since died.

If Disney wanted to manipulate the photos, they should take out the people not wearing masks/not wearing them correctly (so it looks like no one was sitting there to begin with). But, that would probably take some time to do correctly. The other "easier" solution would be to put a mosaic/color over their face. I took a random picture from the web and blocked one person and pixelated another.
View attachment 544223
Ok- first, is the disappointed woman with her arms crossed just mugging for the camera or is that legit?
And I was about to say something similar about covering the unmasked faces- just blur their face, or slap a Mickey head on each maskless person. Or even Ezra, Phineas, or Gus hitchin' a ride. Hey Guest, you made a new friend!

We were just at UO this weekend, and when we got on Jurassic Park we were told we could remove them for that ride. I was just going to pull mine down a bit because it was nice to have fresh air, but glad I did remove it completely because I got a face full of water!

Like a PP said, UO rides are jerky, mine slid down off my nose a few times, on Hagrid's for example.

At Universal you're allowed to take your mask off on the water rides. They don't want you to be waterboarded.

Ok- first, is the disappointed woman with her arms crossed just mugging for the camera or is that legit?
And I was about to say something similar about covering the unmasked faces- just blur their face, or slap a Mickey head on each maskless person. Or even Ezra, Phineas, or Gus hitchin' a ride. Hey Guest, you made a new friend!
Great idea!

ETA: I have no idea if the lady is upset or not. Just a random picture I grabbed when I googled "Splash Mountain Picture".

I can imagine how some masks would fall off or become very loose on certain rides. That's when you need a really good mask that you know doesn't budge then use a different one for other times. Yes water rides you're allowed to take it off at Universal. That must present a problem with ride stuff at WDW because you can get really wet at times on Splash. The CDC does not recommend wearing a mask while in water and recognizes the difficulties in breathing and virus protection once your masks gets wet. But if it's WDW's policy about ride videos best thing to do is comply and make sure to have extra masks (which you should anyways) just for those water rides.

Great idea!
ETA: I have no idea if the lady is upset or not. Just a random picture I grabbed when I googled "Splash Mountain Picture".

This is a classic "stoneface" Splash Mountain photo found on the Internet. There are manny memes of this where people go down sometimes very elaborate and out of place, like playing chess or whatever. These dudes got a whole Gamecube and are playing Super Smash Bros!

I believe that TV is fake though. ;)

This is a classic "stoneface" Splash Mountain photo found on the Internet. There are manny memes of this where people go down sometimes very elaborate and out of place, like playing chess or whatever. These dudes got a whole Gamecube and are playing Super Smash Bros!

View attachment 544291

I believe that TV is fake though. ;)
That's great. I've seen some of these before- everything from scuba divers to a team of doctors performing surgery on another guest. They even had scrubs on if I'm not mistaken. The lady though, I just thought maybe she was a Six Flags fan.

View attachment 544223
I like this. I was thinking the pixelated one would be good, but the black hood thing works, also.

I know this is crazy but if you can't get your picture because someone not in your party isn't wearing a mask then they should get you a FP for that ride.

I thought I read on the DIS years ago....someone was denied the Photopass picture from their first ride on Space Mountain, because someone, not from their party, made an obscene gesture toward the camera. They got an immediate PP for another ride on Space Mountain. However, that still would not have been their first rid.

With the decreased capacity in rides, and the number of people taking off their masks on rides, maybe Disney can't office FP for all who want ride photos.

I thought I read on the DIS years ago....someone was denied the Photopass picture from their first ride on Space Mountain, because someone, not from their party, made an obscene gesture toward the camera. They got an immediate PP for another ride on Space Mountain. However, that still would not have been their first rid.

With the decreased capacity in rides, and the number of people taking off their masks on rides, maybe Disney can't office FP for all who want ride photos.
That's why I said crazy. I hope it is just a small % of people who are doing it. I was super nervous on RnR & slinky dog that my mask would come off .

Complaining about not being able to get a picture from a ride in the middle of a global pandemic really seems to redefine the term 'first world problem'.

I can't argue with that sentiment, however Disney deleting pictures because of a missing mask is just as childish IMHO. If Disney is gonna treat guests like children don't be upset when they react like children.

The infamous ones were at a web site called flash mountain. Women baring themselves for the picture. People complained when they could not get those pictures and were offered rerides. I think the major reason behind the digital masks transcends getting a picture or not since so many people have photopass or an AP that comes with photopass such that few people actually pay for a picture like the old days. I think it has much more to do with the fact that Disney does not want to have anyone seen in their parks without a mask. They do not want the perception that folks are running around the parks without them. If the state or local officials sense that people are avoiding the rules and the numbers increase it could lead back to closures and believe me a closure is going to cost Disney a whole lot more than a few disgruntled park goers not getting their picture on Splash Mountain.

It is more of a "we are doing the right thing" rather than an issue with individuals and whether they get a picture or not.

As with so many things and Disney focus on the big picture and not the minute issues that Disney is trying to screw individuals. They are trying to keep the parks open and keep the cash flowing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter