Rant: Please please please wear your mask on rides or you will ruin it for everyone

Unvoiced_Apollo

DIS Veteran
My girlfriend went on Tower of Tower. We didn't get her photo. Turns out some jerks didn't have their masks on.

Disney's policy is if any one person doesn't have a mask on properly during a ride, then no one on that ride gets a photo. I am absolutely livid at jerks that STILL can't do one simple thing so we can all enjoy the experience as best as possible during this trying time. I hope those guests were reamed for what they did and I wish I could laugh in their face (figurarively at this time) when they find out they can't get the photos & videos of them without masks.

Luckily the Photopass castmember was able to work with me and crop the photo taken on ToT. Just disappointed we can't get the video too because idiot people can't follow basic rules.

/rant

I have only not gotten one ride photo, it was back in August on a solo trip when I rode Splash. I was in the back and the guy and his son had their noses out the whole ride, I was so livid! I knew going in to the final drop I wouldn't get my picture, and sure enough I didn't. It really ruins it, first trip in years I haven't gotten a splash picture on my first MK day. It really does ruin it for everyone else on the ride, and they will forever be remembered as the jerk who ruined it.

Thats too bad.
For a while, they were trialing a process where they would photoshop on masks on people who were not wearing them. Not sure why, but I read that it has ended and they will no longer be doing that.
Unfortunate for those following the rules.

Honestly, I wish they would just crop the offenders out of the ride photos regularly instead of you having to ask for that or not getting your photo at all. I also wish they would ask the offenders to leave—especially if they have done this on multiple rides—they have the photographic evidence after all!

Thats too bad.
For a while, they were trialing a process where they would photoshop on masks on people who were not wearing them. Not sure why, but I read that it has ended and they will no longer be doing that.
Unfortunate for those following the rules.
money

I wouldn't be so quick to assume someone purposefully removed their mask.

I know I have had mine blown up across my eyes and off my mouth while riding Hulk at Universal.

That is one of the reasons Disney stopped photoshopping masks onto people. The example given in the article I read was a woman on Dinosaur and you could see the persons mask hanging off one ear despite the digitally added mask. There is no way to tell if the mask was shaken off or removed purposefully.

It is not always cut and dry why it was not on and by digitally putting a mask on someone and then distributing the photo to others, our super judging society will always assume the worst about the person, probably seek them out on social media, and needlessly shame them because that is how horrible people act in todays world.

I know first hand how crazy Disney folks can be. Someone on this message board took the time and energy to seek out my home phone number and leave a message telling my wife she is a horrible person.

The anger at which people respond to others is scary.

I know first hand how crazy Disney folks can be. Someone on this message board took the time and energy to seek out my home phone number and leave a message telling my wife she is a horrible person.

The anger at which people respond to others is scary.
🤭 wow!

I know I have had mine blown up across my eyes and off my mouth while riding Hulk at Universal.

That is one of the reasons Disney stopped photoshopping masks onto people. The example given in the article I read was a woman on Dinosaur and you could see the persons mask hanging off one ear despite the digitally added mask. There is no way to tell if the mask was shaken off or removed purposefully.

It is not always cut and dry why it was not on and by digitally putting a mask on someone and then distributing the photo to others, our super judging society will always assume the worst about the person, probably seek them out on social media, and needlessly shame them because that is how horrible people act in todays world.

My son had his mask blow off on Jurassic Park at UO a few days before we went to WDW earlier this month. Luckily he caught it so he didn't lose it, and we still got the picture. My personal opinion is that WDW has been way over the top being heavy handed with their ride photo policy to the point of being juvenile about it. No better then some schools that punish the whole class cause one kid acts out, not fair there and not fair here when 99.9% of folks are following the rules and some incidents could have been accidental.

I really don't know what WDW's exact position is... but I never saw the photoshopped masks as a judgement or punishment. I thought they were being used as a deterrent so nobody bothers trying to get an unmasked photo. Whether unmasked was intentional or not, 1 mask or 5 masks, none of that matters. What mattered was nobody is getting an unmasked photo; it's not possible.

Eta- oh I think I get it now. People were complaining to Disney that they felt they were unfairly being shamed by getting the photoshopped mask and WDW reacted to that?

That is really annoying. I also don’t believe masks fall off on dinosaur. I made sure my mask stayed on while riding all of the coasters at cedar point this summer. If your mask is so loose it falls off it probably isn’t providing enough coverage in the first place.

I saw a couple of opinion pieces on the topic (Disney digitally altering ride photos to add masks on the riders who didn’t have them on). The criticisms seems to be that Disney went back on their policy to not give riders photos if they weren’t wearing masks and that they didn’t do more to enforce the policy to begin with. I’ve seen controversy over this a lot of places so I’m thinking Disney just backed out of the whole thing to avoid more controversy. I do think they probably started it because of the people complaining they didn’t get their photo pass pics and that photo pass wasn’t worth the money if you didn’t get your pics.

This is the reason we won’t get photopass on our next trip. It makes me sad that it will be difficult to get photos with all of us because there will be no one to take them.

Sometimes they fly off of people on rides like that. My granddaughter's came down on splash in our recent trip. Thankfully it was only our family in the boat so no one else missed out on a pic. We only realized it came off her mouth/nose after the ride was over and we saw it on the screen but the pic was never added to our photopass account (we didn't think it would be). She's six years old and very good about wearing her mask, that was the only incident she had, it didn't come off on space, big thunder, or tower of terror and except big thunder she rode all of those more than once.

If Disney wanted to manipulate the photos, they should take out the people not wearing masks/not wearing them correctly (so it looks like no one was sitting there to begin with). But, that would probably take some time to do correctly. The other "easier" solution would be to put a mosaic/color over their face. I took a random picture from the web and blocked one person and pixelated another.

That is really annoying. I also don’t believe masks fall off on dinosaur. I made sure my mask stayed on while riding all of the coasters at cedar point this summer. If your mask is so loose it falls off it probably isn’t providing enough coverage in the first place.

Yeah, I could see it on coasters where there is a lot of wind, but I don't think ToT or DINOSAUR should be shaking a mask loose if it fits well. Maybe the screaming does it - I know if I open my mouth very wide, it can reposition my mask a bit (it doesn't come off though). Still, in that case it's the rider's responsibility to keep it on. Hold it to your face if necessary.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter