Ralph Lauren Dress

Status
Not open for further replies.
People seem overly defensive of her and honestly it's weird. So what if some people didn't see the comparison to Jackie Kennedy or didn't like her dress? It feels like you can't say that without posters coming to her defense and telling you you're wrong.

Probably just to illustrate that some are making this about a lot more than a dress.

Me too.

And we're back to disagreeing again.

Nobody was comparing Melania to Jackie O as a person. They were saying the ensemble reminded them of her style.

You seem to be responding to posts nobody is actually making.
I am responding to comments made in the thread just not with comments you like. After the Jackie Kennedy comments were erroneously made and I pointed out that their inaugural attire were very far apart in color and style other posters were quick to say it wasn't the outfits, it was their styles that were the same. What you wear is your style just like what you don't wear is your style. The style of a nude model and a very private, guarded person are different.

And there are other posters here saying inflammatory things just to get a rise.
Probably just to illustrate that some are making this about a lot more than a dress.
Maybe there wouldn't be if people could say they didn't like something about an outfit without feeling like they are being told they are wrong by multiple posters.
Saying it feels like people are making it about more than a dress goes both ways. Why are posters so quick to contradict any negative comment about an outfit? So what if someone didn't like it?

And in fairness, I don't hear anyone talking about Justin Trudeau's nude photos. Is there a double standard?
To be honest I don't know a single thing about Justin Trudeau's photos. Please don't tell me his style is reminiscent of JFK.

I am responding to comments made in the thread just not with comments you like. After the Jackie Kennedy comments were erroneously made and I pointed out that their inaugural attire were very far apart in color and style other posters were quick to say it wasn't the outfits, it was their styles that were the same. What you wear is your style just like what you don't wear is your style. The style of a nude model and a very private, guarded person are different.

She was a model who posed nude for the required job. I don't believe she was a nude model, as in all she did was pose nude. I also don't think her job was necessarily her style.
I have looked at a bunch of photos of her, and aside from her modeling shoot photos, she dresses pretty nice, not too over the top revealing. Sure she isn't wearing turtlenecks and ankle length skirts but its not like she revealing everything either. I do agree that their overall styles may be different, but Melania's inaugural dress was reminiscent of Jackie's overall style, at least to me.

Last edited:
Of course people realize she was Jackie K in 1961. Right? :sad2:
Actually yes but if you look at her styles before she was married to JFK and after she was later married to Onassis, I think you see a bit of different styles there. I also remember her 'lounging' look while on a boat, which reminds me of a model, why I referenced the model thing. :)

I think to add to the Jackie Kennedy comparison, Melania herself said one of the First Ladies she really admired was Jackie Kennedy & that she hoped to emulate her.

I don't think anyone made any erroneous comments about Jackie Kennedy's inaugural outfit as compared to Melania's outfit. No one said their outfits were the exact same or exact color - just that the Ralph Lauren outfit evoked an overall feeling of a style similar to the kinds of outfits Jackie Kennedy wore.

That's all.

If the Ralph Lauren dress didn't remind everyone of Jackie Kennedy (NOT what she wore exactly to the 1961 Inauguration but her "style"), then that's fine. Not everyone is going to agree on everything.

No one is trying to prove anyone wrong, but, instead, attempting to explain the difference between "overall style" & an exact comparison of the 2 outfits. And, again, I think most of us are only talking about the wardrobe - not what either one of them did or does while she's in or out of her clothes.

Women are going to be judged - and, sadly, probably most harshly by other women.

Last edited:
I think to add to the Jackie Kennedy comparison, Melania herself said one of the First Ladies she really admired was Jackie Kennedy & that she hoped to emulate her.

I don't think anyone made any erroneous comments about Jackie Kennedy's inaugural outfit as compared to Melania's outfit. No one said their outfits were the exact same or exact color - just that the Ralph Lauren outfit evoked an overall feeling of a style similar to the kinds of outfits Jackie Kennedy wore.

That's all.

If the Ralph Lauren dress didn't remind everyone of Jackie Kennedy (NOT what she wore exactly to the 1963 Inauguration but her "style"), then that's fine. Not everyone is going to agree on everything.

No one is trying to prove anyone wrong, but, instead, attempting to explain the difference between "overall style" & an exact comparison of the 2 outfits. And, again, I think most of us are only talking about the wardrobe - not what either one of them did or does while she's in or out of her clothes.

Women are going to be judged - and, sadly, probably most harshly by other women.

To be exact, it was probably better to state that the style of the dress was a throwback to the late-50s/early 60s style of womens' dress. If you've ever watch the show "Masters of Sex" and see the styles that Lizzy Caplan wears, it would be totally expected to see her in that style of dress (although probably would not have been cashmere).

Believe me, if there were nude photos of Justin Trudeau we definitely would have heard about it...the news would have had a field day with it.

I also don't think her job was necessarily her style.

She showcased her style in British GQ in a photoshoot aboard Trump's private jet. You can google it if interested. I can't post them here. Then there was the photoshoot before they married taken in her native country. Those can easily be found also. You have to google a certain key word, that I probably can't say.

OMG to everyone googling to find nude pics of Justin Trudeau! LOL

We all know this thread isn't about a nice dress. It's a way for some to get a thread on the DIS. And the other side knows it, and just wants you to know they know.

So, how about that cake? :cake:

Believe me, if there were nude photos of Justin Trudeau we definitely would have heard about it...the news would have had a field day with it.

I know! I remember a big deal being made of his shirtless picture of him boxing but no nude ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter