• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PUSH may be leaving tomorrowland

We will really miss PUSH if he goes away. Haven't seen him in a while but back when dd was smaller she had a really funny encounter with him. To this day she still talks about it. Sad to lose another little piece of Disney magic.

Rumor comes out that PUSH is leaving.

Jason Garcia Orlando reporter talks to disney representative that says those rumors are nothing PUSH is staying.

Easywdw screenshots a photo of the hub a website for cast members that says PUSH is cancelled and has not plans to come back. Cast members are now to promote the incredible seance party in tomorrow land.

What is going on with disney. To me all of those little things have always made them top notch but now they are getting rid of a lot of it. I don't understand the reasoning to get rid of a trash can that moves and talks. It's no different than a character walking around with a cast member following it. Last year disney increased profits, and this first quarter disney increased profits. Why are they getting rid of things that don't have a large impact on anything especially when they aren't losing money?

If you really look back you can see Disney gradually chipping away at these little extras without replacing them. Someone mentioned that the two Frozen princesses came in as Push is going away. That's not the same thing at all. The princesses appeal to small children (mostly) and stand to make Disney a lot of money. Something like Push wasn't like that.

Something I saw on Facebook intrigued me about this. Maybe Disney will add a R2D2 or some droid type thing to tomorrow land at some point? Having both would be kind of redundant but that's only if that actually happens.

I got to see PUSH about 2 years ago.

My wife asked me what I thought of him. I said I thought he was garbage.

We finally got to see Push for the first time on our last trip in Jan. and I can't tell you how much my kids enjoyed it. There were so many smiling, intrigued children who were in utter amazement. I can wait in line or see a show at any amusement park but this was one of those special things you could just come across that was part of Disney magic. We will miss PUSH!

from today's Sentinel:

Three days after Walt Disney World said that PUSH the Talking Trash Can "isn't going anywhere," the resort acknowledged Monday that the popular Magic Kingdom animatronic figure had been removed.

Disney said its contract with Real Simple Ideas LLC, the Orlando product-development company that owns PUSH, expired over the weekend and was not renewed.

Disney would not say why the contract lapsed. But Daniel Deutsch, the inventor of PUSH and co-owner of Real Simple Ideas, said he had some concerns about revised intellectual-property rights provisions that Disney had inserted into the proposed contract renewal.

There was "some ambiguity to the verbiage as to what they owned and what I owned," Deutsch said.

Deutsch said he had proposed revised terms to Disney but had not received a response.

"As far as I'm concerned, I would love to have PUSH remain and continue entertaining guests," he said.

Built to look like a simple silver-and-blue trash can, PUSH made surprise appearances each day inside the Tomorrowland section of the Magic Kingdom. The robot would wheel around and speak to guests.

Deutsch said Disney paid Real Simple Ideas — which owns the robot and employed the human operator that accompanied him in Disney's theme park — to have PUSH perform seven times a day, seven days a week. He declined to say how much Disney paid for the attraction.

PUSH had been a Tomorrowland staple for 19 years, developing a loyal following among the millions of visitors to the Magic Kingdom who stumbled on one of its performances. Rumors began circulating last week that Disney was preparing to remove the attraction, prompting a firestorm of online protests that included a #SavePush Twitter campaign and a Facebook page that had attracted more than 8,000 "likes" by Monday.

On Friday, Disney said there was "nothing to" rumors that PUSH might be removed. On Monday, it said only that there had been "additional communication" since then and that the contract was allowed to lapse over the weekend.

The company would not elaborate.

"While our contract discussions are confidential, there was additional communication since Friday and we were unable to reach agreement to extend the contract," Disney spokeswoman Andrea Finger said.

jrgarcia@tribune.com or 407-420-5414

Its actually getting to the point where I'm worried about going back to WDW because I just know I'm going to be disappointed.

Its been 4 years since we've been and over that time so many of the little things have disappeared from what I've read. I'm sure those that go at least once a year maybe do not notice the changes as they are so gradual. Likewise, the first time visitors will not know what they have missed in the past. But people like us, who haven't been for a few years will definitely notice the difference and I'm sure will be very disappointed.

Meanwhile... down the road, Universal continues to add those little things it seems.

Its actually getting to the point where I'm worried about going back to WDW because I just know I'm going to be disappointed. Its been 4 years since we've been and over that time so many of the little things have disappeared from what I've read. I'm sure those that go at least once a year maybe do not notice the changes as they are so gradual. Likewise, the first time visitors will not know what they have missed in the past. But people like us, who haven't been for a few years will definitely notice the difference and I'm sure will be very disappointed. Meanwhile... down the road, Universal continues to add those little things it seems.
well of you base you vacation on a trash can. I loved PUSH myself but it's not something that I spent more than a few minutes with while walking to another ride or some place I was going. Universal isn't really adding little things they are adding big things. I can also understand those who miss acts from Epcot but they do get new ones and sometimes the act themselves is the one that wants to leave not that disney wants to get rid of them.

well of you base you vacation on a trash can. I loved PUSH myself but it's not something that I spent more than a few minutes with while walking to another ride or some place I was going. Universal isn't really adding little things they are adding big things. I can also understand those who miss acts from Epcot but they do get new ones and sometimes the act themselves is the one that wants to leave not that disney wants to get rid of them.

Its not just PUSH thought, its various other streetmosphere/entertainment extras. Its also big things like no parade at DHS and declining dining standards. All the things that made the parks that little bit more special.

I wonder if anyone has actually made a list of all the cuts that have been made in the last few years anywhere? I suspect quite a few people would be shocked when they saw a full list of just how much had been cut.

How disappointing! My oldest has had a couple memorable exchanges with PUSH. Although after watching the video she took of their visit with PUSH a couple weeks ago, I'm not surprised. People just let their kids crowd around him and constantly put their hands in him the entire time. It was annoying to watch.
He's a talking trash can what else do you think the kids would do?

It really can't be all that difficult to make a new Push-like device. All it takes is a standard remote controller like what is used for radio controlled cars plus a separate radio link for the voice portion. The mobile end would be pretty standard too, with two independently controlled drive wheels (plus a couple of outriggers) that will enable it to go forward/back/pivot. Stack a couple of batteries on top and add the radio receiver and speaker for the voice and you're done.

Finish it off with whatever "personality" you'd like to give it; a trash can, a potted plant, R2D2, etc.

It really can't be all that difficult to make a new Push-like device. All it takes is a standard remote controller like what is used for radio controlled cars plus a separate radio link for the voice portion. The mobile end would be pretty standard too, with two independently controlled drive wheels (plus a couple of outriggers) that will enable it to go forward/back/pivot. Stack a couple of batteries on top and add the radio receiver and speaker for the voice and you're done. Finish it off with whatever "personality" you'd like to give it; a trash can, a potted plant, R2D2, etc.
I'm sure if Disney wants to we will see a new one that they have made themselves show up. I guess the guy didn't like his new contract so he walked.

It really can't be all that difficult to make a new Push-like device. All it takes is a standard remote controller like what is used for radio controlled cars plus a separate radio link for the voice portion. The mobile end would be pretty standard too, with two independently controlled drive wheels (plus a couple of outriggers) that will enable it to go forward/back/pivot. Stack a couple of batteries on top and add the radio receiver and speaker for the voice and you're done.

Finish it off with whatever "personality" you'd like to give it; a trash can, a potted plant, R2D2, etc.

Assuming there are no patent/rights issues that this guy may own?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter