Purchased our 1st DVC yesterday and already worried...should I be?

I say this as a happy Poly owner: rescind, research, rebuy.

After 10 days, you cannot change your mind.

Example. Let's say for argument that you bought 150 points and received 10 extra points. $171/point.

$25,650 for 160 points or $160/point essentially.

Here's an alternative: rescind and rebuy 50 points at Poly for $171:

$8,550. This also makes you a member and let's you keep the important perks.

And. It leaves you with $18,100 to buy AKV resale.

Deduct $1000 for the additional closing costs and let's assume a very reasonable $92/point for AKV: 186 points.

Round up to 200 and for an equivalent price you could own both, 50 Poly points that you can bank/borrow into a 150 point visit every 3 yrs and enough AKV points to be in business.

250 total points to leverage vs 160 now for about the same price.

Best of both worlds.

One caveat. Prices for Poly go up 1/18, to $176. If you rescind and rebuy after Jan 18th, it'll cost you more.

Can you buy 50 points as initial purchaser?
Kerri

Supposedly you can buy as small as 25 points as a current owner and as small as 50 as a new owner.

I'm sure if a guide believes he can hold out for more, then YMMV.

Last edited:
Yes, they've sold 50 point master contracts at Poly.

Source: I know someone who has one.

Why would you by just 50 points?

For the OP: We have been members (BW & VWL) since 1999. Only once have I booked at the 11mo window (BWV Week of Christmas of '13). Most times we book inside 7mos. I booked a 2br at OKW for 12/15-12/26 2016 inside 5mos no wait list. We've only stayed at our home resorts 6 times. Only once did I have to book at a resort that I didn't necessarily want (SSR 3rd week of Jan. 2013 2br). If you intend to use studios most of the time buy where you want to stay as they fill up first. If I had to do it again I would ask which resort has the lowest dues and buy there.

Why would you by just 50 points?

For the OP: We have been members (BW & VWL) since 1999. Only once have I booked at the 11mo window (BWV Week of Christmas of '13). Most times we book inside 7mos. I booked a 2br at OKW for 12/15-12/26 2016 inside 5mos no wait list. We've only stayed at our home resorts 6 times. Only once did I have to book at a resort that I didn't necessarily want (SSR 3rd week of Jan. 2013 2br). If you intend to use studios most of the time buy where you want to stay as they fill up first. If I had to do it again I would ask which resort has the lowest dues and buy there.

I'm thinking buy direct for 50 pts to get some benefits, then buy resale same resort and use year. Easiest and cheapest way I'm thinking.
Kerri

I'm thinking buy direct for 50 pts to get some benefits, then buy resale same resort and use year. Easiest and cheapest way I'm thinking.
Kerri

That's exactly our plan! We bought 50pts at Poly direct this past year before our trip and absolutely loved it. The studio is perfect for us and I love the look and feel of it all. 50 points will allow us a week stay in the fall every other year with 100 points from borrowing. However, I'm now looking at resales so we can go every year. If we buy resale it will be for Animal Kingdom Lodge or Poly again. Good luck!!

Kerri
Buy resale first and then a 25 point contract as an add on.

About $50/point cheaper for 25 points or $1250 more savings or about 15 extra points for same price (equal to current incentive).

Buy resale first and then a 25 point contract as an add on.

About $50/point cheaper for 25 points or $1250 more savings or about 15 extra points for same price (equal to current incentive).

Nice.....even better:-)
Gotta love this place....all the good info!
Kerri

We decided to stay with the contract and now we are HAPPY full DVC members. Hubby is ecstatic. I'm standing behind him and making reservations to check it all out. Coming soon to a villa near Disney. :tongue: :love:
Congrats and Happy planning. My 1st phone call to MS involved booking 3 trips and using all my points including the extra year it came with.
DH couldn't believe it LOL.
Kerri

We decided to stay with the contract and now we are HAPPY full DVC members. Hubby is ecstatic. I'm standing behind him and making reservations to check it all out. Coming soon to a villa near Disney. :tongue: :love:

Thank you for the update!! Congratulations and Welcome Home!! Happy Planning!

Congratulations and welcome to DVC. If you ever get tired of staying at your home resort and want to try out the other DVC resorts at WDW, try booking your home resort at the 11 month window and then wait listing (if needed) the resort you want at 7 months out. I just did that exact thing and was able to book Grand Floridian for July at 7 months out. I couldn't believe it was still available. Over the years, I've stayed at just about every WDW DVC resort using this technique.

Last edited:
I'm now at Universal Cabana Bay after 12 nights at DVC, a split stay at SSR, BWV and finally the Poly. I'm suffering a bit of withdrawn syndrom from DVC already :)
I loved the Poly, I think the studios are gorgeous, the resort is fantastic and I'm sure you'll love it. Welcome home!

1st I didn't have access to computer until last night. LOL

We came down to enjoy our vacation at Bonnet Creek. After the sales presentation, we left very upset with the way they treated us as we were not first buyers into Wyndham, but from a resale purchase. We've been coming to Florida for years, on pretty much a yearly basis. We love Disney everything--from the parks, shopping, to the cruises (3 of them) that we decided to check out the DVC.

They sold us into Poly villas and now after reading a few reviews, I am a little concerned. I asked about Animal Kingdom and the sales rep really stressed Poly advantages over the AK citing longevity in contract (as we would lose 9 years out of the 50) and higher MFs. So with that in mind, should I be worried? I read that Poly has had issues with sewer and a/c in the villas. And the smallness of the units.

Should we cancel our contract since we signed yesterday and try instead to get into AK? Or does it really matter where your contract is as long as you have one?

Thanks in advance. I could be worried for nothing, right?
1st I didn't have access to computer until last night. LOL

We came down to enjoy our vacation at Bonnet Creek. After the sales presentation, we left very upset with the way they treated us as we were not first buyers into Wyndham, but from a resale purchase. We've been coming to Florida for years, on pretty much a yearly basis. We love Disney everything--from the parks, shopping, to the cruises (3 of them) that we decided to check out the DVC.

They sold us into Poly villas and now after reading a few reviews, I am a little concerned. I asked about Animal Kingdom and the sales rep really stressed Poly advantages over the AK citing longevity in contract (as we would lose 9 years out of the 50) and higher MFs. So with that in mind, should I be worried? I read that Poly has had issues with sewer and a/c in the villas. And the smallness of the units.

Should we cancel our contract since we signed yesterday and try instead to get into AK? Or does it really matter where your contract is as long as you have one?

Thanks in advance. I could be worried for nothing, right?

I am hoping that you purchased directly from DVC and not a re-seller. If purchased points through a re-seller you are excluded from all the DVC perks and can only stay at the Disney properties. (Can't book cruises, stay at some of the Disney Collection resorts with points.) We have Saratoga Springs and Polynesian as our home resorts and have not been disappointed. The Polynesian is beautiful and the Deluxe Studio Villas sleeps 5 and is actually on the larger studio size than some of the other resorts. The added bonus to the Polynesian is being on the Monorail line which takes you directly to Magic Kingdom (MK) and its right next to the Ticket and Transportation Center, (TTC) where you can get on the Monorail and go directly to Epcot. Animal Kingdom is a beautiful resort and we stay at Jambo House and Kidani Village quite frequently, it is the best per point value accommodation, the only draw back is it is the farthest resort from the parks and Disney Springs. So...when it comes to popular bookings, the hotels on the monorail line, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, and BayLake fill up quickly that is why people buy into those home resorts as they can book 11 months out vs 7 months. Next, would be the hotels around Epcot like Boardwalk and Beach Club. Those resorts book up quickly especially around the time of the Flower and Garden Festival and Food and Wine Festival as you can walk over to the park. These are very hard to book if not your home resort. Saratoga Springs is nice as you can walkover the bridge to Disney Springs. With all that being said, I went through the, did I make a mistake, should I cancel phase as well. This is very overwhelming at first. You need to sit and make a list of the importance of the items I listed above and see if the Poly is the right choice for you. And... I have stayed at the Poly and have never had an issue with the a/c or the sewer. As for the size of the unit, it has plenty of room and we love the split bathroom, there is one with a toilet, vanity and tub/shower and the other with a vanity and a rainfall shower. (Two people can get ready at one time) If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help! Welcome Home!

Can you buy 50 points as initial purchaser?
Kerri
Another Caveat to remember is lets say you buy 50 points into POLY and 100 points into AKL and decide to book a stay at POLY and the stay will cost you 55 points, you can borrow across contracts, but here is the clincher since the points will be coming from a different "HOME" resort you will have to wait for the 7th month booking window to get those other 5 points. Hope that makes sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter