Purchased our 1st DVC yesterday and already worried...should I be?

Off topic, but I take a different approach to the Parking Pass Tango.

First, I play along right up until they are ready to ask me when my "update" will be. At that point, I say: "Wow, that was really good! How long have you been working in lead development? That long, really? Do you also work the sales floor? No! Well, you should work on getting your license and move over, you're a natural! Unfortunately, I won't be able to help fill your quota today, but I bet you'll fly right by it. You're really good!"

Unless they are old pros, the are too flustered at this point to do anything but hand me my pass.

Fairly new owner at Poly. Purchased in April 2016. Since my purchase I have stayed in a two bed room @ OKW. In two weeks I'll be @ SSR in a studio. In May staying @ Poly in a studio. Then in July staying @ VGC in a studio. Planning to stay in a 1bedroom in January of 2018. It is what you make it. I like the option of staying different place and different room types. I was nervous at first after purchasing but that soon changed with my first DVC stay. Good luck in your decision.

I also recommend to rescind. You have this one tiny 10 day window to step back and evaluate how you want to use DVC so take it, study up on DVC, and make a better informed decision that you will go in feeling comfortable with.

PVB is the most expensive option to buy and one that is limited to studios and over priced 2BR bungalows. If it's the resort you HAVE to stay at then buy there. If it isn't it's likely going to be the most expensive way to own DVC if you're going to use the points to stay at other resorts that you could have bought for half the price.

Every single resort is for sale - both direct and resale but guides will rarely tell you that. But other than PVB the other resorts are best bought resale - you'll save thousands of dollars. And if any of the perks that are not available to resale buyers do make sense for you then a small 25 points add on direct will make them available. Trade outs that guides push can be better accomplished just renting your points and paying cash so don't worry about that "loss" as it's really a blessing.

If PVB is what you ultimately decide upon a phone call to your guide will have you set up as members within a day or two. Don't be swayed by talk about "missing out on bonus points" which almost always are just current points that you would receive anyway. At this point anyone buying any UY would start out with 2016 points - they are not a bonus.

Off topic, but I take a different approach to the Parking Pass Tango.

First, I play along right up until they are ready to ask me when my "update" will be. At that point, I say: "Wow, that was really good! How long have you been working in lead development? That long, really? Do you also work the sales floor? No! Well, you should work on getting your license and move over, you're a natural! Unfortunately, I won't be able to help fill your quota today, but I bet you'll fly right by it. You're really good!"

Unless they are old pros, the are too flustered at this point to do anything but hand me my pass.
I don't think it's off-topic because it was mentioned in OP.

Best way out of the parking pass que I've ever heard (here maybe??) was guy points at his wife and tells the parking pass guy, "Hey I would, but I'm here with my mistress..."

I don't think it's off-topic because it was mentioned in OP.

Best way out of the parking pass que I've ever heard (here maybe??) was guy points at his wife and tells the parking pass guy, "Hey I would, but I'm here with my mistress..."
On a similar note, my daughter and SIL did a tour on their honeymoon, I think it was Fairfield (Wyndham). When they got to the point of being asked to buy, my SIL answered the question with a question. He asked, why would I want to buy when I could mooch off my FIL? The salesman didn't have an answer and they were done right then.

Fairly new owner at Poly. Purchased in April 2016. Since my purchase I have stayed in a two bed room @ OKW. In two weeks I'll be @ SSR in a studio. In May staying @ Poly in a studio. Then in July staying @ VGC in a studio. Planning to stay in a 1bedroom in January of 2018. It is what you make it. I like the option of staying different place and different room types. I was nervous at first after purchasing but that soon changed with my first DVC stay. Good luck in your decision.

just to be clear, though, the OP could do all of this as well with AKL points bought through resale.

I did the freak out when we bought poly and my husband was cool as a cucumber lol. If you really love AKL you may want to reconsider. I have always been torn between beach club and poly. Ultimately poly won because of its location and dining options. We have one child who is 2 and no plans for more so do not need more than a studio. Before dvc we would always go to the poly and say this is perfect and always wanted to pack up and move to Florida lol. So what resort gives you that special feeling or works best for your family?

I did the freak out when we bought poly and my husband was cool as a cucumber lol. If you really love AKL you may want to reconsider. I have always been torn between beach club and poly. Ultimately poly won because of its location and dining options. We have one child who is 2 and no plans for more so do not need more than a studio. Before dvc we would always go to the poly and say this is perfect and always wanted to pack up and move to Florida lol. So what resort gives you that special feeling or works best for your family?
We own points at Poly and BCV.

Best of all DVC worlds.

Funny. We bought BCV first and I didn't dare ask DW about Poly points so soon after. I resigned myself to admiring from afar and maybe snagging a 7 month reservation here or there.

But. I was participating in a big discussion here about guaranteed weeks and I was telling her about the thread that I was involved in and:

DW, "Ooohh! I'd be interested in Poly if we could get a guaranteed week there."

Me: "We can. Let's talk about it."

For the next 15 min, I assure you that I was more knowledgeable than any guide about guaranteed weeks at Poly and which Week might suit our needs best and why.

15 min later, DW, "I'm in."

Last edited:
just to be clear, though, the OP could do all of this as well with AKL points bought through resale.

And, to be clearer still, those points would be $80-90 per point, versus $165 per point.

Generally, using direct points at Poly to stay at SSR or OKW regularly is a poor value. Poly points cost twice as much per point, and have non-rounding error higher dues than SSR. (Probably OKW too; I don't know OKW's dues because I don't pay those.) AKV has higher dues, but is generally the third best value among resort points based on buy-in cost+dues over life of contract.

I agree with others, rescind and research. They will still be there if you decide to buy Poly direct again.

I agree with everyone that you should rescind unless poly is your primary choice, and you can make reservations 7-11mo in advance.

Otherwise buy resale. You are not treated any differently as a resale buyer (except no discounts for certain things, trading points for cruises, etc). I considered purchasing poly after my first stay there, but it's thus far been easy to get a room at the 7 mo mark, so there's no reason for me.

I bought resale twice and no regrets.

In general, if you aren't primarily staying at a resort, and are, to use a phrase, "sleeping around," you are almost always better off buying cheap points with low dues. Premium points with high dues work best if you are primarily using home resort advantage, need Fall Frenzy, and/or are truly devoted to that single resort. Even in resale, buying where you want to stay is essential unless you are truly chill about taking what you can get (and are okay if that's Saratoga or OKW).

For instance, you want a Boardwalk Studio for Food & Wine? You buy Boardwalk, period, resale.

You want to try to book AKV Value? Requires home resort booking, you need AKV points.

You want to go to Disneyland 2x/year? Buy VGC, where home resort matters bigly.

You need 1/2BR units? Buy somewhere that has them with an 11-month priority.

Exactly. I own at OKW and SSR (bought through resale). I've been able to book BWV, BCV and Polynesian at 7 months.

In general, if you aren't primarily staying at a resort, and are, to use a phrase, "sleeping around," you are almost always better off buying cheap points with low dues. Premium points with high dues work best if you are primarily using home resort advantage, need Fall Frenzy, and/or are truly devoted to that single resort. Even in resale, buying where you want to stay is essential unless you are truly chill about taking what you can get (and are okay if that's Saratoga or OKW).

For instance, you want a Boardwalk Studio for Food & Wine? You buy Boardwalk, period, resale.

You want to try to book AKV Value? Requires home resort booking, you need AKV points.

You want to go to Disneyland 2x/year? Buy VGC, where home resort matters bigly.

You need 1/2BR units? Buy somewhere that has them with an 11-month priority.

Idk I think this only apply to cheaper point rooms those are what goes quick . I have gotten the resort I wanted every time I boooked . I needed to get the upgraded view room at BLT but it wasn't really much more points . But I am flexible.

If you want specific room and resort and not flexible I'd do as she said and buy where you want to be

Idk I think this only apply to cheaper point rooms those are what goes quick . I have gotten the resort I wanted every time I boooked . I needed to get the upgraded view room at BLT but it wasn't really much more points . But I am flexible.

If you want specific room and resort and not flexible I'd do as she said and buy where you want to be
You must not be traveling during Fall Frenzy.

Genius. I will have to try that next time.

All of these stays could have been accomplished by buying into SSR at a fraction of the price, which is why most people are recommending the OP rescind and do their research.

Someone should buy direct from Disney at the Poly if, and only if, (1) the buying direct perks would have a substantial impact on the purchaser so as to make up the price difference from buying resale (this is unlikely given the price differences) and/or (2) the OP intends to stay at the Poly most of the time, particularly during times when the resort is difficult to book (October-December) AND can generally plan their vacations at least 7.5 months in advance.

Curious what the OP did.

If you really want to purchase another resort, rescind. If you want to go direct (and many of us have for one reason or another), tell your guide you want another resort. Might have to wait but those points pop up fast.

If you want to save a ton of money, rescind and go the resale route.

Good luck.

Thank you for all responses. Our family went to Magic Kingdom yesterday. It was such a great time.

I am happy overall with our purchasing into DVC. My solution, in my head at least, is to rescind the initial contract, and renegotiate concerning the Polynesian and to place the bulk of our points for where we want to be instead of it all in one place.

Now if if can get the spouse to agree. He is happy that we are DVC members! And that's it!! lol

You want all your points in one place ideally. I technically have 3 contracts worth 250 points at "WLV" but they are all in April use year so it is essentially one "bag" of points.
If you want to book at 11 months you will want your points together.... If you always book at 7 or later it doesn't matter..(which means poly price not worth it)
Same use year isn't necessary but totally removes all complications.
Happy planning
Kerri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter