PTR: A Spring Fling on the Dark Side ...2 Muggles Celebrate in Diagon Alley!

So close!! You will be in single digits before you know it! Been tryng to catch up with your news - been obsessed with the Star Wars portion of our trip at WDW. Did finally get our Universal tickets. I was going to wait but hubs wanted to get them now . I also booked (and paid for) our one night at universal hotel - splurged on a club level at RPR. Had all these Orbucks from booking Disney hotels through orbitz. May have to upgrade one of our tix to an AP if it's true the AAA discount is changing...and our friends who live there have APs(excuse to plan an adults only trip later??)

Hope the car repair is nothing big!! My check engine light is on for third time in 2 weeks- was supposed to have been fixed last week...
Looking forward to some live-on-the-scene reporting soon:thumbsup2

fingers crossed. Last month my brake light went on. Took back to the dealer, as new brakes (all 4!) were put on last summer. Apparently the cold weather decreased the fluid in the brakes, so that's why the light was on. No charge, as brakes were less than a year old. Thank goodness. Last year, I put 4 new brakes on, new water pump, new transmission and new universal. That about broke my bank. At least I can say I will be driving that car for several more years. It's almost 8 years old now.

On a pleasant note, did our taxes, and we don't owe as much as thought, with some coming back from one of the taxing entities. Yes, we have federal tax, state tax, and local income taxes. Oh and property tax was paid the other day. It's been an expensive April.

On the vacation front, DD has now said several times visiting museums will be boring. Well, maybe, but I hope to get other things to do in there too. She wants to learn to surf, so I will be seeing if there's a groupon or other and I will be looking for a discounted wetsuit, as her current one is almost too small. That kid costs me too much! LOL

Hope the weather warms for you. Today, we're still cool, with thunder and lightning, but at least the week-end looks to be no rain.

Sorry to hear this month has been so "taxing" on the budget!! (pardon the pun!!) Its rotten when everything seems to hit all at one time.

I will seriously have a stroke if my car needs anything even close to what you put on yours last year. Holy moly, you have virtually rebuilt that thing!!

I always thought the wetsuits from Discovery Cove were quite decently priced (or at least, they seemed to be.....weren't they about $80?....that always seemed like a pretty good price to me, especially when ladies swimwear at Sears here in Canada is often priced well above that). Would it be worth emailing them to see if you could order your DD one from there?

We got some sunshine here today, and its been marvelous :sunny: . Still kind of cool, but at least its not rainy or dreary. Hope the weather in your neck of the woods has been just as pleasant too!

And wow! Diamond Lane request coming soon. It's getting closer! :rainbow:

That's really when it starts to feel close for me. I can't explain it, but there's something exhilarating about hitting the send button on the Diamond Lane form :banana: .

less than 3 weeks for you now !!

so exciting...

I must admit, I'm getting rather giggly and antsy. I feel like a kid waiting for Santa. You'd think after this many family vacations in Orlando, it would seem rather run-of-the-mill. Yet it always seems special and just as exciting as our first trip :goodvibes.

So happy it is getting closer for you. I can not imagine knowing I had three trips coming up to Florida! I so wish that was me, but I did book tentatively next February. One possible is better than none. Can't wait to read all about how much fun you will have enjoying a honeymoon trip again. That has to be very exciting to think about too since you have had your son with you for so long! I am also hoping that Spring arrives here to the North sometime soon- the temps. have warmed up some but it has been gray and rainy everyday this week. What I wouldn't do for some sun! What I wouldn't do to go to Orlando in 20 days!

I will keep my fingers crossed for you that February works out for a trip! Its always so fun to have something in the planning stage. Better than a therapist in my book :thumbsup2 (Lord knows I could use one of those too, some days! :rotfl:).

We are very blessed to have three trips scheduled. We did this once before, in 2012, but a tad more spaced out (January, August and Christmas). Hard on the budget, but awesome for the soul. There's something rejuvenating about being "down south" ::yes::.

Keeping my fingers crossed there is nothing wrong with the car!

Thanks, my friend! :goodvibes

So close!! You will be in single digits before you know it! Been tryng to catch up with your news - been obsessed with the Star Wars portion of our trip at WDW. Did finally get our Universal tickets. I was going to wait but hubs wanted to get them now . I also booked (and paid for) our one night at universal hotel - splurged on a club level at RPR. Had all these Orbucks from booking Disney hotels through orbitz. May have to upgrade one of our tix to an AP if it's true the AAA discount is changing...and our friends who live there have APs(excuse to plan an adults only trip later??)

Hope the car repair is nothing big!! My check engine light is on for third time in 2 weeks- was supposed to have been fixed last week...
Looking forward to some live-on-the-scene reporting soon:thumbsup2

Yay for purchasing your Uni tickets and hotel! :cheer2: And club level, to boot! What a fabulous splurge :thumbsup2 ..... and even nicer when its covered by rewards bucks versus money from your wallet :cool1: .

You've got the dreaded light on too, huh? I sure hope my fix doesn't turn out to be as pesky as yours sounds......3rd time in 2 weeks?!? Fingers crossed that both of us can get things back on track!! (without going broke in the process :rolleyes2)

Good luck with the car Gina.......hope it's an easy fix :thumbsup2

Thank you schumi :goodvibes . Perhaps I fret more than most people do, but truth is....I know NOTHING about cars. With such limited knowledge, my mind often jumps to the worst (and sometimes the least plausible) case scenario. Probably not the most constructive way of thinking, but alas.....I can't help it :o .

We're officially in the teens today!! 19 days! :yay:

I can't wait for your trip to start....you have the best reports. Currently planning an Orlando trip and am going to try the sheraton Vistana due to your reports. Unfortunately, I am fighting cancer now and I thought I would be done everything by the week prior to Labour Day. Now my Dr is saying it may be the new year before I'm done with everything (I still need to have chemo and then one more surgery )
Once the kids are back in school, they don't have any holiday weeks at the same time. I might have to take my DD who will be in grade 12 out for the week of Halloween so we can go when DS is on fall break ( he will be in grade 8 but is in a specialized school and is it allowed to miss except for illness....since each year he has to be reaccepted I'm not pushing it ) hopefully first semester will be easy for DD.

Maybe the chemo won't knock me out too much and I can keep the week before labour day

sk8jdgca, prayers for your successful treatment and best wishes for a great vacation in your very near future!

I can't wait for your trip to start....you have the best reports. Currently planning an Orlando trip and am going to try the sheraton Vistana due to your reports. Unfortunately, I am fighting cancer now and I thought I would be done everything by the week prior to Labour Day. Now my Dr is saying it may be the new year before I'm done with everything (I still need to have chemo and then one more surgery )
Once the kids are back in school, they don't have any holiday weeks at the same time. I might have to take my DD who will be in grade 12 out for the week of Halloween so we can go when DS is on fall break ( he will be in grade 8 but is in a specialized school and is it allowed to miss except for illness....since each year he has to be reaccepted I'm not pushing it ) hopefully first semester will be easy for DD.

Maybe the chemo won't knock me out too much and I can keep the week before labour day

Oh, my friend.....big hugs to you :hug: .

So sorry to hear about your health struggles, sk8jdgca . May it help a little to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Fingers crossed that your treatment goes even better than expected, and that you will be able to plan a wonderful family holiday in celebration of your renewed good health! I can't think of a better reason for an Orlando vacation :goodvibes .

Thanks so much for your kind comments on my trip reporting :) . I am so blessed to have a fun selection of Dis-friends who enjoy reading about our experiences and sharing our memories.

Its definitely tougher to schedule trips when the kids are in school. That's one thing I am currently enjoying now that Jake is in college....no more restrictive school year calendar!! We always put education first, so we were pretty reluctant to ever pull the boy out of class to take a trip (just once, in Grade 7.....after that, we sucked it up and traveled on summer or Christmas break). Time passes quickly, though, and your young grade 8 DS will be off to college or university before you know it, and travel freedom will be yours too!

Just dropping in to say hello Gina! I haven't been on the boards much at all but I was thinking today that you don't have too long to go now!!!
Finally the weather is lifting after this horrible winter and you've got a trip around the corner. I bet you are feeling good!:goodvibes

We are very blessed to have three trips scheduled. We did this once before, in 2012, but a tad more spaced out (January, August and Christmas). Hard on the budget, but awesome for the soul. There's something rejuvenating about being "down south" ::yes::.

Nothing better than having several trips booked. We have
May - London and Majorca
June - Cruise on Queen Mary
August - Orlando
Feb - Rome

I just cant stop looking at holidays and planning. Already thinking about Florida next year and maybe Longboat Key. I drive my husband crazy.He has never actually booked a holiday in his entire life, I am not sure he would know how to! Just aswell he has me. I always think theres a million and one things we could do to the house but on the day my sons leaves home to go off into the big wide world, I definitely wont be thinking, oh I wish we had done a bit more decorating, I will be thinking, I hope he still wants to come on holiday with us and thinking about all the wonderful holidays we had while he was growing up.

Just dropping in to say hello Gina! I haven't been on the boards much at all but I was thinking today that you don't have too long to go now!!!
Finally the weather is lifting after this horrible winter and you've got a trip around the corner. I bet you are feeling good!:goodvibes

Yes, it is getting VERY close. Confession time....I really enjoy the "anticipation" of the last couple of weeks before we travel. Sounds silly, but for me, its exciting. And its rather fun. ::yes:: Lots to do before we travel, though, so I can't allow myself to succumb to a case of vacation brain just yet.

This weather is simply marvellous. I have laundry on the line today :laundy: so you know spring has officially arrived! There's nothing nicer in this world than crawling into a bed that is freshly made with sheets hung to dry on the line. And the sunshine! :sunny: It is rather uplifting. I hate being stuck inside, at a desk, all day today when its soooo nice outside!

I always think theres a million and one things we could do to the house but on the day my sons leaves home to go off into the big wide world, I definitely wont be thinking, oh I wish we had done a bit more decorating, I will be thinking, I hope he still wants to come on holiday with us and thinking about all the wonderful holidays we had while he was growing up.

Amen, sister! :worship:

This weather is simply marvellous. I have laundry on the line today :laundy: so you know spring has officially arrived! There's nothing nicer in this world than crawling into a bed that is freshly made with sheets hung to dry on the line. And the sunshine! :sunny: It is rather uplifting. I hate being stuck inside, at a desk, all day today when its soooo nice outside!

I agree about the laundry, my husband thinks I'm a washaholic! What surprises me is how little washing you see hung out to dry in that lovely Florida sunshine, such a waste.

I agree about the laundry, my husband thinks I'm a washaholic! What surprises me is how little washing you see hung out to dry in that lovely Florida sunshine, such a waste.

Come to think of it :scratchin...you're right. I can't say I've ever seen a clothesline full of fresh laundry on any of our drives around the Orlando area.

I wonder why Florida folks don't dry their laundry on the line? Its hot and sunny enough in the summer that it would be dry in an hour or two!!

Perhaps many of the communities don't allow outdoor clotheslines? I know a lot of the more upscale subdivisions in neighbouring cities around here have passed bylaws to prohibit them (calling them "eyesores"). I have a friend in Edmonton who is not allowed to have one for that reason as well.

Hydro is ridiculously expensive here in Canada, so I'm always thankful for the opportunity to save a little $$ while doing the right thing for the environment AND giving me the best smelling laundry on the block :teeth: .

Gina-
Where do you look for the best deals on rental cars? I am trying to book one right now for a trip to North Carolina in May and the prices are very high. I know you are very good at finding deals and that you have certain companies you like better so any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Gina-
Where do you look for the best deals on rental cars? I am trying to book one right now for a trip to North Carolina in May and the prices are very high. I know you are very good at finding deals and that you have certain companies you like better so any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

I usually just follow the month-specific thread on the Transportation board for my rental dates. People are awesome about sharing their best codes, coupons and offers.

I have a Visa, I have a Mastercard and I have an Entertainment Book (thank you bankr63!) so I can utililze all of those codes in my efforts to find a good rental car price. About the only thing that frequently offers great rates that I don't have is a Costco membership. I also check Expedia.ca regularly, because its worked out in our favour too. Ditto for Hotwire......we got a decent price on a two-week minivan rental for last August (best we could find).

For our May rental, I actually went through my credit card rewards site. Got our fullsize for 8 days for $114 Canadian. Until fellow Diser pigletto shared that as an option, I didn't even know it existed. It will be another avenue that I take into consideration for future rentals from now on.

So far, we've ended up with only Alamo or Budget. This May, we'll be trying Dollar for the first time. Alamo tends to be our preference because we enjoy picking a vehicle (okay, the GUYS enjoy picking the vehicle....as long as its clean, I honestly don't give a hoot).

So basically, I do a lot of searching. I secure an initial, cancellable reservation as soon as my travel dates are set, then keep looking to lower than initial cost as the months pass (rebooking and cancelling multiple times along the way). And most of the time, we do okay :) . I hope that rings true for the next two trips this year, too!!

My car goes in at 1 pm. That dang check engine light is still on. Hopefully we will have a resolution (covered under the warranty) this afternoon!

hope you get a "green" on the car repairs

that way you can save your money for your vacation!

hope you get a "green" on the car repairs

that way you can save your money for your vacation!

Thanks, mac! :goodvibes

Just back from the dealership now. Apparently its the Knock Sensor causing the issue (a knock sensor regulates the timing, they tell me). They have to order in a part, so I'm back to the service department tomorrow for the replacement. Everything is covered by the warranty so there should be no money out of pocket :thumbsup2 .

Thanks, mac! :goodvibes

Just back from the dealership now. Apparently its the Knock Sensor causing the issue (a knock sensor regulates the timing, they tell me). They have to order in a part, so I'm back to the service department tomorrow for the replacement. Everything is covered by the warranty so there should be no money out of pocket :thumbsup2 .
Yay!! Good car Karma day then-my service engine light is likely a defective repair part (from last time) also under warranty!

I think that is "Good vacation" karma for you too with trip so close!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter