PSA for those who use childcare

I posted this on the community board but thought I would also post it here because I know most of us single people are using daycare...

Please make sure the people watching your child know how to handle a medical emergency and keep supplies with them! Friday I was off work and took my son to a large park. There was a daycare there and one of their children fell off the top of a play structure and very clearly broke their leg likely in more than one place. 3 adults with the daycare moved the child over to the side and I assumed they had it under control. After a few minutes, being a nurse, I decided to make sure they didn't need any help. I walked over to where they had the child and found all three standing around, wringing their hands unsure of what to do. Luckily I had cold packs from our packed lunch and keep a first aid kit in my car. I was able to stop bleeding and splint the child's leg until the child's mother arrived.

I was pretty horrified at how ill equipped that day care was to handle the issue. After everything was cleared up, one of the adults thanked me and explained that the person who was trained in first aid had called in that day and they had forgotten to bring first aid supplies with them as that was the girl who called in's responsibility :confused3. This prompted me to call my son's childcare and check on their policies. I was happy to find out that every teacher is CPR/first aid certified and that each adult is required to carry their own first aid kit on field trips plus there is one on the bus. So there are multiple first aid kits available in case someone forgets to bring theirs. I would suggest other parents do the same....just my little PSA for the day!

I thought every legitimate daycare had to ensure everyone was certified in CPR/first aid. That's crazy. I'm so glad you were there!

I work for a very large daycare( over 200 children). In our state in order to be a licensed daycare everyone who works in any capacity (even kitchen staff) with the children needs CPR/ first aid training. The catch there is licensed. Some operations aren't, but they're cheaper so they stlll get business.

I posted this on the community board but thought I would also post it here because I know most of us single people are using daycare...

Please make sure the people watching your child know how to handle a medical emergency and keep supplies with them! Friday I was off work and took my son to a large park. There was a daycare there and one of their children fell off the top of a play structure and very clearly broke their leg likely in more than one place. 3 adults with the daycare moved the child over to the side and I assumed they had it under control. After a few minutes, being a nurse, I decided to make sure they didn't need any help. I walked over to where they had the child and found all three standing around, wringing their hands unsure of what to do. Luckily I had cold packs from our packed lunch and keep a first aid kit in my car. I was able to stop bleeding and splint the child's leg until the child's mother arrived.

I was pretty horrified at how ill equipped that day care was to handle the issue. After everything was cleared up, one of the adults thanked me and explained that the person who was trained in first aid had called in that day and they had forgotten to bring first aid supplies with them as that was the girl who called in's responsibility :confused3. This prompted me to call my son's childcare and check on their policies. I was happy to find out that every teacher is CPR/first aid certified and that each adult is required to carry their own first aid kit on field trips plus there is one on the bus. So there are multiple first aid kits available in case someone forgets to bring theirs. I would suggest other parents do the same....just my little PSA for the day!

WHAT!? I teach Ga Pre-K at my daughter's center and we have to be certified in CPR. I can't believe they just sat there til the mom came! No one called 911?? That is truly scary!

Wow! I clicked on this because I thought it was about the kids clubs at Disney and we're thinking about the older kids going to Simba's Clubhouse at AKL while we eat at Boma. Anyway, I'm a working mom and have 3 kids in daycare (2 in school during school year). We go to a state licensed center and all of the teachers are trained annually for first aid, cpr + other continuing ed things like nutrition, etc. I can't imagine my center doing this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter