Potatoes, So Many Potatoes!

some potato ideas from Ireland

Roast Potatoes
Peal, cut into chunks, sprinkle with rosemary, sea salt and olive oil

Mash Potatoes
Peel, and boil, then mash. Chop half an onion very finely. Heat some milk mixed with salt and pepper and and add the onions. Stir into the mashed potato and beat with a wooden spoon until the mash takes on a creamy consistency.

Option 1
Use above mash as it is

Option 2
Put above mash into a piping bag, pipe into nests. Chop some tomatoes finely. Spoon into potato nests. Brush beaten egg over top of potato nest side. Bake in the oven for a few minutes until the tomato heats and the top of the nests turn a golden brown

Option 3
Fry some pork sausages, make some brown onion gravy (google English brown onion gravy) serve the masg with sausages and pour over the gravy - called bangers and mash

Option 4
shape the mash into sausage like shapes, roll in flour, then beaten egg, then in breadcrumbs and deep fry - called potato croquettes

Option 5
Cook some cabbage, add to the mash - called Colcannon

Option 6
Shape Colcannon into pattys and fry on a frying pan - called Bubble and Squeak :)

Option 7
Fish pie - similar to cottage pie (made with ground beef) shephards pie (made with ground lamb) steamed white fish in a bechamel sauce with peas and carrots topped with mash potato

Cant remember the recipes but Google
  1. Potato Gratin
  2. Souffle Potatos
  3. Boxty Potatoes
  4. Coddle
  5. Knocchi (potato pasta made with semolina)
  6. Potato dumplings
  7. Lyonnaise potatoes
  8. Russian Potato salad
  9. English Pastys
  10. Pommes Anna
  11. Irish savoury potato cakes
  12. Savoury potato waffles
  13. Spanish Omelette (Frittata)

No oil wedges.

Cut the potatoes into wedges and microwave them for 6 minutes. Mix in spices such as garlic salt, paprika and cumin. Oven bake for 30 mins at 200 C on baking paper so the wedges don't stick to the baking pan. Turn half way through. They're done when they're crispy on the outside and golden brown.

They taste delicious and are very healthy too! We have ours with hummus, guacamole and salad.

Hamburger Soup - fry beef in a non stick pan with a 1/4 teaspoon heart health olive oil, till done. Add to your Big Pot of pre cook potatoes, cook corn, cook green bean, and your sauce.

I use canned veggies. I dump 2 can of potatoes sliced and water, 1 can corn and 2 green beans with the water. With a beef cube. Salt. Onion powder.

You can use frozen veggies that are frozen at the top of there freshness! As are canned veggies. You get canned veggies with out salt or with sea salt!

"boil 'em mash 'em put them in a stew":rotfl2: Ok I don't feel like 15 pounds is a large amount lol and there are 3 of us at home now..... That said, you can dice, toss with good oil,salt pepper and spices (turmeric,curry,whatever) and roast in a hot oven till golden(mmmmm) make a potato soup using a broth base and lots of warming spices for flavor,(sprinkle some freshly cooked bacon crisps on top) mashed potatoes are delicious, I like using leftover mashed or boiled potatoes for thickening soups and stews, just puree in a blender and add to whatever needs it.... (I make mashed potatoes using almond milk, butter,garlic,and lots of spices) again, the real secret to using less 'junky' flavorings is learning to combine (lots of) spices for real flavor.....
make hashbrowns....make a nice lentil soup,dice some potatoes in there for added texture and flavor.... bake them and have them as your main meal one night with various yummy toppings.... (homemade chili)

I bake 10 or more pounds at a time to make twice-baked potatoes. When soft, cut in half, scoop out insides and mix with bits of broccoli or spinach and/or green pepper and onion and/or cheese. May add milk. Place mixture in shells, pressing cheese into mixture if desired, and freeze for later enjoyment.

I wondered if anyone Irish would offer up fish pie! That's a classic Irish potluck dish, though it's one of those things that is Irish-Irish, not Irish-American. The classic fish to use in it is cod. (You need something with firm flesh; mahi, trout or sole crumbles too easily.) If you like spicy, though, you'll definitely find a typical recipe to be bland, the primary flavoring is onion. I'm a hybrid, I use low-salt Cajun seasoning and a lot of garlic in mine.

Note that any recipe that calls for cream can be made with evaporated skim milk. (I know, it comes in a can, but it's a staple of low-fat recipe adaptation.)

Potatoes are also great salt-removers. If you over-salt something, toss in a few large chunks of spud; it will help to absorb the excess salt.

Here is something to think about re: warehouse club spuds. Based on price per lb. at grocery stores vs. club pricing, even if half the bag rots you will probably come out ahead price-wise.

I wondered if anyone Irish would offer up fish pie! That's a classic Irish potluck dish, though it's one of those things that is Irish-Irish, not Irish-American. The classic fish to use in it is cod. (You need something with firm flesh; mahi, trout or sole crumbles too easily.)

My gran used to make fish pie with smoked haddock. She would cook the fish in milk, remove the fish, and use the cooking milk to make the sauce. Then ad the fish back in with carrots and peas and then top it with mash potato.

Twice baked potatoes with whatever filling you like
Stuffed baked potatoes with leftovers as filling. I like to mix leftover shredded chicken with BBQ sauce and stuff the potato with it.
If you have a mandolin or just cut them thinly, you could make homemade potato chips

Potato soup! I saute a diced leek and chopped garlic in butter then add cubed potatoes, diced carrots, a couple of cans of vegetable broth, and water to cover it all. Boil until tender then use an immersion blender to get it to whatever consistency you want...I like lots of potato chunks. If you want it thicker, then you can use a little corn starch. Add salt and pepper to taste.

We love to roast potatoes in the over with Rosemary and olive oil. Cube the potatoes and coat in oil and rosemary mixture. Sprinkle with salt an pepper. About 20 min at 425.

I cut them in about 1/2 inch cubes, put them in baking dish, toss them in some olive oil, garlic salt, dried onion flakes. 450 for 20-30 min

Also, I make wedge "fries". Wedge the length wise, on the skinnier side (1/4 ince at widest part) toss them with some olive oil and salt, lay them flat on a baking tray (no overlapping), 450 for 20-30 minutes flipping them over half way through.

Other options, potato soup, potatoes au gratin, mashed potatoes, baked potato, etc, etc.

These two (oven fries and roasted potatoes) were going to be my suggestions.

We love hobo dinners. A seasoned hamburger patty, topped with potato, onion and tomato slices. Wrap in foil and cook for about an hour.
You could also make twice baked potatoes, they freeze well and will come in handy over the holiday.

Thanks everyone! So far it's only been mashed and baked but I am going to branch out-I promise!

My gran used to make fish pie with smoked haddock. She would cook the fish in milk, remove the fish, and use the cooking milk to make the sauce. Then ad the fish back in with carrots and peas and then top it with mash potato.

That's the classic technique all right, you poach the fish in milk to start. Smoked haddock is pretty hard to come by in the States, though. Even in Ireland it sort of depends on where you are. My mother's family, farmers who live inland, tend to use smoked fish in the recipe, while my father's family, who live in a northwest fishing village, always use fresh. I'm not really a fan of using smoked fish, as it tends to be quite salty as well, but that's a matter of personal taste.

I read your post as we are *rich* people, but in a fit of frugality.

Dyslexics Untie!

I read your post as we are *rich* people, but in a fit of frugality.

Dyslexics Untie!
:joker:

Nope, definitely not rich! At the moment we're slowly recovering from a fairly hefty hit to our income so these days I'm stalking the Budget Board looking regular non-vacation type savings ideas!

I am a dyed in the wool Cajun and, as a cook, potatoes that don't come out of a crawfish boil pot are wildly exotic! I thought about pouring gumbo over baked potatoes but then, again, gumbo takes a lot of time-why spoil it with a potato:rolleyes1

My favorite uses for potatoes are baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, potato leek soup (not a cream based soup), oven roasted potatoes, and foil dinners. With the foil dinners they are mostly potatoes with a little meat, carrots, and onions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter