Post family Disney-theme night ideas HERE!

Thanks for all the super great ideas! I love the Elvis angle! MeMom, DH is begging me to ask you for your turkey leg recipe! Please share!!!!

Okay, so I asked the kids.

DS suggests the following:

Movie: Cinderella
Activity: SLipper Hunt (hide all of mom's high heels all around the house. SEPERATE the pairs. See how many pairs each person can find)
Meal: Royal banquest: anything fancy served on the good china, cloth napkins, the works!

Movie: ToyStory
Food: Pizza (pizza planet)
Activity: play with potato heads, army men, etc

Movie: The Jungle Book
Food: "ape food" bananas, "bear food" berries, etc
Activity: practice walking with a bucket on your head like the village girl (plastic bucket:thumbsup2 )

DD suggests:

Movie: The Parent Trap (she says to tell you the orginal is best but both are good:upsidedow )
Meal: hot dogs and s'mores made over a campfire
Activity: "camp" in the backyard or living room and play any "camp like" games you know. Sing silly camp songs around a real or pretend campfire

Movie: The Lion King
Snack: Pumba's ants on a log (celery filled with peanut butter toped with raisen "ants")
Activity: Make Lion masks from paper plates

Movie: Alladin
Food: kabobs and cous cous
Activity: make "magic carpets" (cut a piece of felt big enough to sit on and cut some slits on each end for "fringe" have the kids decorate their carpets with sticky backed felt or fabric paint)

Okay, the kids won't stop throwing ideas at me, here's another:

Movie: Mulan
Food: Chineese Take Out
Activities: Learn to eat with chopsticks! And make paper chineese style dragons and paper lanterns (search familyfun.com for chineese new years activites and pick anything really)

:cool1: Subscribing, LOVE these ideas! I'm going to try to compile enough ideas for every Friday night until our trip (May 10th...so I only need to pick 13 ideas!!!)

This is great!

Movie - Pocahontas

Menu - An abbreviated Thanksgiving feast!
Turkey (of course!)
Canned cranberries
Corn on the cob
Native American fry bread

Activities - Read a real letter written by John Smith to the Queen of England
about his friend Pocahontas, encouraging her to be greeted with
the greatest respect! www.easyfunschool.com/article2150.html

Make toilet paper tube totem poles

Fry bread recipe: 4 C flour/1 T powdered milk/1 T baking powder/1 tsp salt/1 1/2 C warm water/oil for frying

Mix all dry ingredients thoroughly. Add water. Knead until soft, then set aside for one hour. Shape into small balls. Flatten each ball into a circle with a rolling pin or by hand. Fry in a skillet half-full of oil until golden brown on both sides. (Really good with jam too!)

Thanks for all the super great ideas! I love the Elvis angle! MeMom, DH is begging me to ask you for your turkey leg recipe! Please share!!!!

These are all fun ideas. We'll definitely add them to our list of pre-trip parties...as well as post-trip 'getting over the Disney blues' times.

As for the turkey legs, my daughter found them at the store and just baked them on a broiler pan in the oven. Just rub them with butter and bake at a low temperature for a long time so they're extra tender. They were delicious!

Our next trip is in March, so I may try to get a party in before then and invite the family friend who will be going with us this time to join us. She's only been twice in her life - once to Magic Kingdom and once to MGM, and each for only one day. We're going to show her how to do Disney the right way!!!

Movie - Dumbo

Menu - Circus food, i.e. hotdogs, popcorn, peanuts (I suppose we should
round it out with some sort of vegetable, eh?!)
Make Elephant Ears (see recipe below)

Activities - Pin the feather on Dumbo's trunk, Pin Timothy on Dumbo's hat
Family Circus (each family member has to perform a trick or act,
don't forget a Ring Leader! Maybe you can train your dog or cat
to jump through a hoop!)

OOPS! Forget to include it in the last post!

1/4 C butter, melted
1 C flour
2 T sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 C milk
3 T sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
sugar

(Did I mention sugar?)

Stir flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Stir in milk and 3 T melted butter until dough forms. Knead 10 times on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a rectangle, 9x5 inches. Brush with remaining butter, using a pastry brush. Sprinkle with mixture of sugar and cinnamon. Roll up tightly, beginning at narrow end. Pinch edges of dought into roll to seal. Cut into 4 equal pieces. Place cut sides up on cookie sheet. Pat into 6 inch circles. Sprinkle with more sugar. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Makes 4 elephant ears.

Thakns to everyone for their feedback and comments! I keep wondering if others are enjoying these as much as me, and if I should continue posting more!

Movie - Pinocchio

Menu - Stromboli's Pepperoni Stromboli
Cleo Cake http://kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/recipedetail.htm?recipe_id=91921

Activity - Puppets naturally! Make paper lunch bag puppets for each of the main characters in the movie (Pinocchio, Geppeto, Jiminy Cricket, Stromboli, Blue Fairy, Monstro, etc.)

Pepperoni Stromboli recipe
1 tube refrigerated pizza dough
3 T brown mustard
1/4 lb pepperoni, thinly sliced
1/4 lb mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 375. Unroll dough onto a large baking sheet and flatten into a rectangle. Layer the mustard, cheese, and pepperoni on the dough within 1/2" of all edges. Roll up from the long side and pinch the seam to seal. Seal the ends and turn seam-side down. Bake 25 minutes until golden brown.
Serves 4.

Movie - The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Menu - Chicken tenders and fresh vegetables with Pooh's honey mustard dip
Rabbit's honey glazed carrots
Pooh's MuddyPuddle Pudding (chocolate pudding)

Activities - If you live near a bridge over water, go play Poohsticks!
Pooh's Big Red Balloon Pinata (use a balloon, newspaper strips, and watered down glue. Dip strips in water/glue mixture and lay on top of balloon, covering completely for a couple of layers. Leave to dry completely. When dry, cut a small square out of the pinata to pop inside balloon and also stuff with goodies. When filled, patch over hole with paper or cardboard and paint with acrylic paint. When dry attach a string to balloon bottom. *Note: the drying is time consuming, and you would probably do best to start the project the day before you want to play*

See next post for dip and carrot recipes :)

Pooh's Honey Mustard Dip
Use for crudites and chicken tenders

1/2 C sour cream
2 T dijon mustard
1 T honey
salt & pepper to taste

In a small bowl, mix together sour cream, dijon mustard, and honey. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.

Rabbit's Honey Glazed "Karits"

2-3 C peeled baby carrots
1/2 C butter
1 T brwon sugar
1 T honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

In a medium skillet melt butter. Add brown sugar, honey, nutmeg and cinnamon; mix together. Add carrots, cover and cook on med low to med heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. When done carrots should be firm and not mushy.

Food:
"Apple Juice Ale" in pirate goblets
turkey or chicken legs OR fish sticks
fruit salad or fruit skewers

Dessert: Pirate Treasure
Crumble graham crackers to make a "beach" and give each person several chocolate coins...serve alongside blue Jello for effect.

Activities:

Pin the eyepatch on the pirate
make a treasure map and have a treasure hunt (could maybe do some disney dollars or more chocolate coins)
make costumes for Pirate/Princess party

We always celebrate Walt's birthday on December 5th.

We eat Chili with Beans (his favourtie meal according to Cooking with Mickey and the Disney Chefs) and Lemon Chiffon Pie (his fav. dessert according to the same source).

We find directions for drawing Mickey (and others) online and try our hands at it.

We pull out the model train and set it up around the Christmas tree (he loved trains) and set up our Disney themed smaller tree in the dining room.

I know this is not really the same thing as the other posts--but it is a fun evening.

Awww that is really nice. What a wonderful thing to do for a man that gave so much happiness!

Movie - Hercules

Menu - Greek salad with red onions, feta, and Kalamata olives
Spanakopita (Greek spinach pie) http://www.recipegoldmine.com/worldgreekH/spanakopita.html

Activities - Make your own Olympic medals (wide width ribbon, cardboard circles, tin foil)
Backyard Mount Olympus Course (an obstacle course that coordinates with the personalities of the Gods; hammer a cardboard lightning bolt for Zeus, Discus throw with a frisbee for Herc, Primping in front of a mirror for Aphrodite, running through hula hoops with a messenger bag for Hermes, etc.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter