Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread - Royally Refurbished for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are also a family of five (coming from New Zealand) and will be checking into POR on 29 Sep for our first WDW holiday. We will have AB I'm sure as we need the trundle but did not pay for preferred. Now I know that my children will complain if they have to walk some distance in our hotel because the size of these theme parks are going to be enormous to them (and to DH and I) and I suspect they will have little energy left when we return to the resort after our park days. I do have a few 3/4 days planned where we will be eating at the hotel food court for dinner. I also understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that the main bus stop is the best one to use. So, given that we are not preferred, what AB building should I request so that we are as close as possible to the food court and main bus stop? From the map, it looks like building 16 - would that be right or is the map a bit deceptive from reality? Thanks heaps for any advice you can give :)

I chose building 16 on our last trip in March for the same reasons. Our rooms were on the corner and if you came out the door and looked to the right you could see the parking lot in the distance. Many people don't like this but we always went to the left towards the resort and I thought it was a PERFECT location. We were close to the bus stop, pool and main buildings and it was just far enough away for a lovely walk through paths. We have 3 kids and when we're in the room, we don't spend alot of time looking out the window so it's not as important to me.
Having said all that, I am a very visual person and my surroundings are important and I love love POR. Building 16 is IMO a great choice.;)

Bldg 16 does look like 1 of the closest ones. I don't know what your kids might consider a long walk, but when you walk the grounds at POR, you can't help but walk at a more leisurely pace. I stayed in 1 of the furthest bldg's from the main bldg, and loved the walk every morning. Especially if the Sun is still coming up. You can't help but want to leave your room in a rush, but as soon as you get to 1 of the main pathways, you seem to walk a little slower.

At night, when you are exhausted, it's a different story. That is when you are thankful that there are 4 bus depots. You ride the bus with your feet and muscles aching until you get to the depot closest to your room. My bldg was right next to a depot; Thankfully. :woohoo: :worship:

This is so so true and well put!:worship:

staying spring break but have a preferred room

Not sure when to tell the kids ages 16 and 12 they will be thrilled!!
got free dining before they changed the dates!!:yay:

I cant wait to go! 3 months and 1 day! Seems so long though!

Sounds like we will be there the same week.

My dilemma is that one of our crew is the five year old daughter of my neighbors' roommates and she isn't going to find out until the day before we leave. Big surprise.

Every night I come home and she gives me a big hug and I just want to whisper in her ear.....

"Guess what, we are all going to Disney World."

I swear last night, I had a couple of glasses of wine and watched the beginning of the new DVD where they surprise the kids about a trip. I had tears in my eyes; I just cannot wait to see her face.

I will just have to wait.

Just returned from a great trip! We did four days at POR and the 4 at AKL - Kidani. For those of you concerned about AB rooms not yet redone - don't worry, they are fine. Our room was great. Booked preferred and requested and got bldg 18. It was perfect! We had a corner room close to everything. With two windows, it felt spacious and light. The room was in perfect condition and well kept. It even had a flat panel TV! We absolutely loved this resort. It is so pretty and the CMs were so nice!:thumbsup2

I am getting more and more excited to stay in a refurbed room at POR. Only 32 days to go.

I so hope everything goes well this trip or my youngest will forever refuse to stay on Disney property again. I can't wait to tell her we will be back at one of her favorite resorts. She refuses to ever go back to POFQ because it made her sick. :sad1: :sad2:

We're going to POR for the first time over my Spring Break(teacher) on April 9 through 14. Loving the pictures of the resort and really looking forward to relaxing to celebrate my little girls first birthday. It's for the wife and I, not for her :) I was wondering if some of you folks could recommend a good location for us to try and request? I'm thinking somewhere a little quiet, first floor(stroller), but not too far of a walk. I personally would like the somewhere in the mansions for the atmosphere, but not a huge deal. Thanks for any help!

Edit: Forgot to add that we will need a room that is suitable for a Pack and Play as well.

We're going to POR for the first time over my Spring Break(teacher) on April 9 through 14. Loving the pictures of the resort and really looking forward to relaxing to celebrate my little girls first birthday. It's for the wife and I, not for her :) I was wondering if some of you folks could recommend a good location for us to try and request? I'm thinking somewhere a little quiet, first floor(stroller), but not too far of a walk. I personally would like the somewhere in the mansions for the atmosphere, but not a huge deal. Thanks for any help!

Edit: Forgot to add that we will need a room that is suitable for a Pack and Play as well.

Any of the rooms come with a pack 'n play.

In the mansions, two buildings will be "royal rooms" and two buildings will be standard rooms.

In all of the buildings, there are king bed rooms, courtyard view, waterview, and riverview. They are also booking categories.

Preferred rooms closest to the main building are a booking category, and are only in AB.

I feel Oak Manor is close to the main building and I always requested it and paid for a waterview room; now they are Royal rooms and come at a premium. I haven't decided if that is what I want next year.

You can check out the resort map and details on Andre's website, who also maintains this thread, at portorleans.org to get a better idea of the layout of the resort.

Any of the rooms come with a pack 'n play.

In the mansions, two buildings will be "royal rooms" and two buildings will be standard rooms.

In all of the buildings, there are king bed rooms, courtyard view, waterview, and riverview. They are also booking categories.

Preferred rooms closest to the main building are a booking category, and are only in AB.

I feel Oak Manor is close to the main building and I always requested it and paid for a waterview room; now they are Royal rooms and come at a premium. I haven't decided if that is what I want next year.

You can check out the resort map and details on Andre's website, who also maintains this thread, at portorleans.org to get a better idea of the layout of the resort.

Well Missytara, I have one of the first reservations for the royal rooms river-view with two queens, reserved so Ill snap some pics and then make your decision.

Can I bring a "cheap" DVD player to hook up in the room? Anyone does this at POR? We have Kids Nite out coming the night of the half oct 1st. I thought it might be nice to be able to let the kids watch a movie that night since they'll be harder to put to bed since we're gone.

Can I bring a "cheap" DVD player to hook up in the room? Anyone does this at POR? We have Kids Nite out coming the night of the half oct 1st. I thought it might be nice to be able to let the kids watch a movie that night since they'll be harder to put to bed since we're gone.

The refurbished rooms have av-input jacks in them.

Well Missytara, I have one of the first reservations for the royal rooms river-view with two queens, reserved so Ill snap some pics and then make your decision.

We need a 'Like' button cuz I cant wait to see pics of the royal themed rooms! We are staying in one next November

We need a 'Like' button cuz I cant wait to see pics of the royal themed rooms! We are staying in one next November

Yeah I agree so people don't just keep posting thanks to the pics. Don't get me wrong I love to tell people how good these pics are. They deserve the credit. I am not there or I would think people would love my pics as well.

Yeah I will most likely buy a 24hr pass an upload immediately to the forums pics within the first day.

Yes, several Alligator Bayou buildings should be complete by mid-December.

As for tips, we usually leave them on the table tucked into the little card that the maids leave.

Andre

THANKS!!!!!!

We leave soon for POFQ but are returning in August 2012 to POR.....I will be so appreciative if someone will post new pics of the 5 person room when refurb is complete

IMG_1555.jpg

I love all the pics! POR has a certain smell and I can almost smell it looking at the pics! :rotfl2:

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I can't pinpoint what it is, but I could recognize it anywhere!

Just got back from a fantastic vacation. Checked into POR on the 20th for 6 nights before going to the Beach Club. Drove home north following Irene Sunday afternoon/Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter