Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread - Royally Refurbished for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
That all depends on what your definition of a "bad" location is. For example, do your children complain when they must walk some distance? If so, request a building that's close to the amenities that interest you (main building, pool, bus stop).

In my opinion, there's no such thing as a bad location at POR! It's all beautiful.

I agree with this. There are some buildings that some may consider far, but they are still close to a bus depot. If you don't mind walking, you've got nothing to worry about.

I have a few questions about our upcoming trip and I was hoping someone here might have an answer. We will be arriving at Port Orleans Riverside Dec. 15 and staying until the 21st. There are 6 of us (one being our then 8 month old) and I know I read that we will be staying in AB. My question is will any of the rooms with the queen beds and pull down beds be available then? Hubby and I are Pooh sized (though we are working on becoming less Pooh sized :laughing:) and would love to have queen beds instead of fulls. I don't mind paying for preferred if I have to, but location isn't all that important to me.

If the tentative schedule holds true, they are supposed to work on some AB buildings beginning at the end of October lasting 8 weeks. So, by the time you arrive in December, some AB buildings should be done. Keep tabs on this thread for updates and certainly add a request for a renovated room. I wouldn't upgrade to preferred just yet, in case none of the preferred buildings are the ones that are done by then.

I have a question for you all. We will be staying at POR 2 weeks from today:cool1::cool1:. We booked a preferred room not knowing that the only preferred rooms are in the AB section. We really want to be the mansion section. Our travel agent has requested a water view room in the mansion section. What are the chances we'll actually get that? I'm also thinking of skipping the online check in so that I might be able to get a CM to find us a room in the mansion side. Any other suggestions???

Did your TA cancel preferred and switch the room category? If not, I'm pretty sure you will definitely be placed in AB. They go by whats guaranteed and if you're booked preferred, preferred is guaranteed. If you don't want to be in AB, change your reservation from preferred to water view if available, and then request Magnolia Bend.

I would skip the online check in too given that you want the mansions, there might be a better shot at switching rooms if you don't like where you were placed.

I'm not an expert by any means but I would think that if you paid for preferred and want a water view, wouldn't you either have to pay for the "upgrade" or get refunded depending on how much preferred vs. water view is?

Either way, enjoy yourself!!!! I have to wait another 379 days.. lol

Preferred and water view are the same price, to my knowledge. But even so, I think they would still be placed in AB since that's where the preferred buildings are. They'd be better off asking their TA to switch their reservation to water view if available. I don't know how it would work if they ask to not be in preferred when they get there, especially if water view is not available.

I have a question for you all. We will be staying at POR 2 weeks from today:cool1::cool1:. We booked a preferred room not knowing that the only preferred rooms are in the AB section. We really want to be the mansion section. Our travel agent has requested a water view room in the mansion section. What are the chances we'll actually get that? I'm also thinking of skipping the online check in so that I might be able to get a CM to find us a room in the mansion side. Any other suggestions???

You are actually in luck, since water view and preferred are the exact same price per night.

Requests are just that; with the refurbs in the mansion section right now, room availability may be tight. They may tell you waterview rooms are only available in AB for the moment.

However, with AB rooms for a family of 5, if there are a lot of families needing AB rooms, more mansion rooms will be available.

With the current refurb, it is hard to tell what is available.

Trying to get my plans in order. I am familiar with AB, stayed there in December. Just booked for Oct 7. We only four this time. So if I want a refurbed room and close to main building, what request should I make??

THANKS!!:woohoo:

My little girl is sitting here with me and wants to pick smiley faces and tell me what to write!! She begs to do this!! Just a little over 30 days to go!! She says, We were going Oct 29, :sad:, but got to move up our dates!!:rainbow:

That all depends on what your definition of a "bad" location is. For example, do your children complain when they must walk some distance? If so, request a building that's close to the amenities that interest you (main building, pool, bus stop).

In my opinion, there's no such thing as a bad location at POR! It's all beautiful.

We are also a family of five (coming from New Zealand) and will be checking into POR on 29 Sep for our first WDW holiday. We will have AB I'm sure as we need the trundle but did not pay for preferred. Now I know that my children will complain if they have to walk some distance in our hotel because the size of these theme parks are going to be enormous to them (and to DH and I) and I suspect they will have little energy left when we return to the resort after our park days. I do have a few 3/4 days planned where we will be eating at the hotel food court for dinner. I also understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that the main bus stop is the best one to use. So, given that we are not preferred, what AB building should I request so that we are as close as possible to the food court and main bus stop? From the map, it looks like building 16 - would that be right or is the map a bit deceptive from reality? Thanks heaps for any advice you can give :)

My question is will any of the rooms with the queen beds and pull down beds be available then?

... but I was curious to see where everyone left their tips.

Yes, several Alligator Bayou buildings should be complete by mid-December.

As for tips, we usually leave them on the table tucked into the little card that the maids leave.

Andre

Subscribing! Just booked our first Riverside stay from an in room bounce back offer at the Wilderness Lodge. (Free dining for August 2012).

This will be our first stay at Riverside. Looking forward to reading all the info in this thread!

Trying to get my plans in order. I am familiar with AB, stayed there in December. Just booked for Oct 7. We only four this time. So if I want a refurbed room and close to main building, what request should I make??

There are no refurbed rooms currently in AB; which is where the preferred rooms are located (close to the main building).

Only Acadian House is completed and some of their rooms, depending on location, are not close to the main building.

The next building to open is Magnolia Terrace. They do have rooms close to the main building.

I would suggest listing your requests in order of importance to you and they will attempt to fulfull them as much as they can.

AB refurbs don't start until the end of October. So, decide which is more important to you is what I would do - if its being close to the main building, you can book preferred and be in AB and not worry about anything, or you can stay with your current booking and request a refurbished room in the mansions which at that time in October will be in either Magnolia Terrace or Acadian House.

We are headed here for the first time on the 12th. We have always stayed at All Star. Our youngest will be rocking the trundle!

We are also a family of five (coming from New Zealand) and will be checking into POR on 29 Sep for our first WDW holiday. We will have AB I'm sure as we need the trundle but did not pay for preferred. Now I know that my children will complain if they have to walk some distance in our hotel because the size of these theme parks are going to be enormous to them (and to DH and I) and I suspect they will have little energy left when we return to the resort after our park days. I do have a few 3/4 days planned where we will be eating at the hotel food court for dinner. I also understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that the main bus stop is the best one to use. So, given that we are not preferred, what AB building should I request so that we are as close as possible to the food court and main bus stop? From the map, it looks like building 16 - would that be right or is the map a bit deceptive from reality? Thanks heaps for any advice you can give :)

Bldg 16 does look like 1 of the closest ones. I don't know what your kids might consider a long walk, but when you walk the grounds at POR, you can't help but walk at a more leisurely pace. I stayed in 1 of the furthest bldg's from the main bldg, and loved the walk every morning. Especially if the Sun is still coming up. You can't help but want to leave your room in a rush, but as soon as you get to 1 of the main pathways, you seem to walk a little slower.

At night, when you are exhausted, it's a different story. That is when you are thankful that there are 4 bus depots. You ride the bus with your feet and muscles aching until you get to the depot closest to your room. My bldg was right next to a depot; Thankfully. :woohoo: :worship:

Bldg 16 does look like 1 of the closest ones. I don't know what your kids might consider a long walk, but when you walk the grounds at POR, you can't help but walk at a more leisurely pace. I stayed in 1 of the furthest bldg's from the main bldg, and loved the walk every morning. Especially if the Sun is still coming up. You can't help but want to leave your room in a rush, but as soon as you get to 1 of the main pathways, you seem to walk a little slower.

At night, when you are exhausted, it's a different story. That is when you are thankful that there are 4 bus depots. You ride the bus with your feet and muscles aching until you get to the depot closest to your room. My bldg was right next to a depot; Thankfully. :woohoo: :worship:

I think that is a great way of putting it.

In the morning, I also appreciate that leisurely walk to the food court and at night, I appreciate the short walk from one of the perimeter bus stops.

You get the best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter