Port Orleans French Quarter FAQ thread - Refurbished for 2011 - Now CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
we have stayed at POFQ a few times, we actually like the "street view", since it is a view of the cobblestone streets, and you can hear and see the horse drawn carriage

hubby and i agree, the one thing POFQ realy needs is another pool!!! theycould put a "quiet pool" in that whole, useless courtyard next to bldg, 6, is it? or put one between bldg, 7 and the walkway to POR. not everyone wants to be around little kids. that is the WHOLE idea of the MODERATE resorts. having a child themed pool as the main pool , and then, one (or more) "quiet " pools . buyt, sincie they "did away with" the the TS restaurant "Bon Famile", I think it was, I can't beleive they charge as much for the resort, that does not have a TS restuarant.

since they NOW charge MORE for CSR, should they not charge LESS for POFQ, since there is only one pool, AND NO sit down TS restaurant.? after all, it is only one step up from a value resort.

Perhaps at some point, they will build a new pool - it would be nice for those that want to be around a little less action. But you have to remember that you have access to POR's pools as well (although I personally wouldn't walk all the way over there just for the pool) - this would probably be Disney's "argument" as well - if you don't like the FQ pool, go to a quiet pool at POR. POFQ charges the same for standard rooms as POR, and I'm pretty sure CBR. This is total guess, but I think CSR charges more because it is also a convention hotel :confused3

Wow, three pages in just 2 days!
Thanks Andre for starting a new thread. I'm excited to read about the refurbs and look forward to seeing them when we go next January. Even though I'm excitedly planning our Alaskan cruise this summer, Disney is always at that back of my mind.:goodvibes

I think once all moderate resorts go to queen beds that the prices will even out between the moderates. I noticed that when CSR finished their refurb the prices went up higher than the rest of the moderates. Just a thought I had, but I could be wrong.

I leave in 5 days, so I can give an update soon. I really don't actually get to POFQ until next Sunday. I will take pictures. I need an assisted room (hand-rails in the bathroom and bathtub/shower area) so I hope to get some pictures that have not been shown yet. I don't know if the room will be in the refurb area. I would hope so though. It seems to be a type of room hard to get so maybe they considered it during the changes.

First time visitor at POFQ so I should have lots of pictures and new eyes insight!

So excited to see this thread- we leave for POFQ in 20 days!! I originally had requested building 2, but now seeing that there's a refurb, we asked our TA to change it to request building 6 top floor, though I'll be happy with any newly refurbed room- DH and I *need* a queen bed to sleep well or else we'll be very grumpy! ;)

Just switched today from Pop to POFQ. This will be our second time there. We really loved it last time. Can't wait!:yay:

we did something kinda weird last year. we did a split stay between POFQ and POR. we took the boat downt o riverside our first night to eat at Boatwrights, even tho we were staying there 5 nights later. we also walked down to riverside one evening with a cocktail to check out possible room choices.
we like taking the boat to DTD!

we also walked down to riverside one evening with a cocktail to check out possible room choices.

I love the idea of scouting out the nicest room views, then asking the current occupants for a little tour to make sure everything is clean and tidy, and finding out when they are checking out of course. Then just let the Front Desk know what time you'd like your luggage delivered. :) :) :)

Andre

I love the idea of scouting out the nicest room views, then asking the current occupants for a little tour to make sure everything is clean and tidy, and finding out when they are checking out of course. Then just let the Front Desk know what time you'd like your luggage delivered. :) :) :)

Andre

wow. we didn't go THAT far! (don't give hubby any ideas!!!)

Andre

You would really ask someone to go in their room just to "scout" it out? I would NOT let you in my room for this purpose, and actually find it very selfish and rude.

Just stayed there Jan 27-Feb 3. We politely asked for a refurbished room when we checked in (we decided this took priority over our request for a ground-floor room & connecting rooms) and we ended up in building 4 with a brand-spanking new room. We were the first occupants. We also got ground-floor and connecting. I was absolutely thrilled. We were right near the short-cut to the bus stop.

Beds are comfy, although the sheets were very scratchy. I think that improved after the first night b/c they were brand-new sheets, too, and got softer after they were changed/washed. Privacy curtain is a nice touch and the gold material is beautiful. Plenty of counter space by the sinks. We rented a full-sized crib and it fit perfectly between the TV cabinet/drawers and the wall. Queen-sized beds are a big plus.

Our heating/cooling unit didn't work, but we didn't even notice that until the last night because the temperature was so moderate until then. I assume they will fix that.

I loved, loved, loved POFQ and I thank you all for your reviews because that is why we decided to stay there. I loved how close everything was. I hated other moderates where you have to walk a mile to get coffee in the morning, and this was wonderful. Unfortunately, I think our family will be priced out of this resort in June after my son turns 3 b/c then we will be a family of 5. :sad2: Unless we go with my Mom and share rooms with her, we'll have to look elsewhere. Makes me very sad because I really loved this resort.

You would really ask someone to go in their room just to "scout" it out? I would NOT let you in my room for this purpose, and actually find it very selfish and rude.

And I even added THREE smilies to my posting to make the point that I wasn't being serious...

Perhaps I need [joke][/joke] tags? :rolleyes1

Andre

Just stayed there Jan 27-Feb 3. We politely asked for a refurbished room when we checked in (we decided this took priority over our request for a ground-floor room & connecting rooms) and we ended up in building 4 with a brand-spanking new room. We were the first occupants. We also got ground-floor and connecting. I was absolutely thrilled. We were right near the short-cut to the bus stop.

Beds are comfy, although the sheets were very scratchy. I think that improved after the first night b/c they were brand-new sheets, too, and got softer after they were changed/washed. Privacy curtain is a nice touch and the gold material is beautiful. Plenty of counter space by the sinks. We rented a full-sized crib and it fit perfectly between the TV cabinet/drawers and the wall. Queen-sized beds are a big plus.

Our heating/cooling unit didn't work, but we didn't even notice that until the last night because the temperature was so moderate until then. I assume they will fix that.

I loved, loved, loved POFQ and I thank you all for your reviews because that is why we decided to stay there. I loved how close everything was. I hated other moderates where you have to walk a mile to get coffee in the morning, and this was wonderful. Unfortunately, I think our family will be priced out of this resort in June after my son turns 3 b/c then we will be a family of 5. :sad2: Unless we go with my Mom and share rooms with her, we'll have to look elsewhere. Makes me very sad because I really loved this resort.

What room were you in?

I have requested connecting rooms, ground floor, in building 4 for our June trip. Where is the bus stop short cut?

Thanks!!!!:thumbsup2

Just back from 8 days at the Beautiful POFQ!

WOW! From the moment we checked in until our sad goodbye 8 days later everything was so WONDERFUL at the POFQ! We checked in ay 11AM and our room was ready! Groceries and Magical Express bags were brought up by noon. We were in building 6 and had a room facing the river and a REFURB room! LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!! I took some pics that I will post soon. I loved the ceramic tile floor and the new carpet. The beds were SO comfy!!! The comforter was stiff (but I never use them anyway) and the blanket was SO soft! The room was just very pretty and didnt feel small with the queen size beds- I was amazed! Buses stopped at POR and all 5 or so stops on most days but we were always the first stop after leaving the parks. It was crazy how POFQ always had the longest line of people... Disney is so great though and even when we saw a line crazy long and thought we would never get back, they would send a second bus and we would be back in no time.

We would head back in the afternoon most days for lunch- loved the foodcourt- po boys were SO GOOD! We did have one CRAZY thing happen- one day while having lunch this lady came over to have my son decorate cookies. Well she kind of dragged him away and I saw that she was grabbing his hands and kind of talking very loudly and right in his face. He kept looking over at me and I was holding my other son who was sleeping so I sent my Brother in law over to check on my son. He burst out into tears and ran to me and was hysterical. Said he told the woman that he wanted to go back to his mommy and the woman said NO, not until your done decorating. She came over to us and asked if he was ok and I told her he was shy and got scared and to not worry about it- well she wouldnt leave and kept trying to touch him and he was hysterical- it was quite a scene. She was calling my husband Daddy and just seemed "off". It was just a really bad experience for my son. He wouldnt go back in the foodcourt the rest of the trip!!

So other than that, everything was wonderful! We had 14 people with us and EVERYONE kept saying how beautiful and peaceful the resort was. We took the boat to DTD a few times. We ran to the POR a couple of times. We went in the hot tub and used the pool and the pool bar. The kids all had races every day in the big courtyard and had a blast one day running thru when the sprinklers were on!! It was a GREAT trip!!!!!

We requested a refurb and were so happy we got building 6! I forgot to mention Maria! She was our WONDERFUL Mousekeeper. I loved her. I couldnt believe what we would come home to each day. She was AWESOME!

Towel Animals
DSCN0666.jpg

DSCN0664.jpg

DSCN0650.jpg

DSCN0575.jpg

DSCN0473.jpg

DSCN0470.jpg

DSCN0245.jpg

REFURB Room and View

DSCN0702.jpg

DSCN0698.jpg

DSCN0697.jpg

DSCN0704.jpg

DSCN0705.jpg

DSCN0706.jpg

The Grounds..... so pretty!

DSCN0701.jpg

DSCN0694.jpg

DSCN0678.jpg

DSCN0677.jpg

DSCN0675.jpg

DSCN0687.jpg

not only was it said with tongue firmly planted in cheek, I responded with a joke about not giving my hubby any ideas!

I was the one who started the whole train of thought, when hubby and I DID walk over to POR while staying at FQ, cause we had 5 nights at each resort, and we wanted to scout out dif. room views, bldg. numbers, locations to pools, etc, so we had a better idea at check -in. (if we don't like the location of the room they offer us, we often say, "what else ya got?" nah, don't like that, what else?" frinedly, of course.

and it helps if you have a fresh idea of what that room would be like. of course we never knocked on any doors or anything!:laughing:

I guess we are either easily amused or have too much time on our hands!!

when we have to wait for our room, and know the "general" area, (but not the room number) we like to walk around that area and guess at which room it might be. "ooh! it could be this room!!! uh-oh, hope it's not this room with the view of the generators!"

Once at CBR, our "best choice" room turned out to be ours!!! corner room, lagoon view on one side, pool view on the other!! Nebo was a happy boy!

Love the updated thread. I changed our Oct ressie from CBR to POFQ last week to take advantage of the queen beds. Since we are going to be 3 adults, it will be much nicer having queen beds instead of doubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter