Port Orleans French Quarter FAQ thread - Refurbished for 2011 - Now CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm jumping on!! Our trip is planned for August this year, with Free Dining!!! Can't wait!!!! :love:

We're checking in tomorrow morning for our last minute weekend getaway! :lovestruc Hoping we get a refurb room, I adore the new bedding, I'm passionate about purple! Other than that I'm not too picky about location...the resort is one of our favorites and I enjoy the walk to the shop and ferry and etc. :thumbsup2

So excited!! We check in March 26th for five nights. Would like to put in a "request" for a building/view. Any particular building that is best? I would love a river view that is near the main lobby and the pool. Looks like 5 is good. I think it will be completely refurbished by then too. Any thoughts??

So excited for our stay! we had CBR booked, but decided to switch for multiple reasons, so this is our first POFQ stay! :thumbsup2

great thread - i will be following all the tips with interest!

we're booked at POFQ for our november trip ... sadly a long time to wait, but i am so excited about staying at this resort! :yay:

So excited!! We check in March 26th for five nights. Would like to put in a "request" for a building/view. Any particular building that is best? I would love a river view that is near the main lobby and the pool. Looks like 5 is good. I think it will be completely refurbished by then too. Any thoughts??

My mom and I are checking in that day as well! Only 4 nights though.

I am also planning on requesting a refurbed room, but I'm going to leave it up to the Disney Gods as to what bldg its in. I did think 5 looked like a pretty good spot, although the resort is small, like people say, and the walk from any bldg did not seem bad (walked around here a few times since we stay at POR often). Did you book a river view? That is a special category so unless a magical upgrade happens, you may be stuck on the inside. Although bldg 5 doesn't seem like it would have a bad view since its completely on the inside.

I *think* about half of the bldgs will be done by then, based on what I read on another site (I think the unoffical port orleans site). By then, bldgs 7, 6, 5, and 4 should be done (half the resort).

YAY! New POFQ thread! I am jealous of those of you going so soon! We have to wait until June...and with the horrible weather we have been having, it feels like June will never come! :)

It looks like we will be staying at POFQ in late July. Our plans are not set in stone just waiting on my husband’s block leave to be approved. Our original plan was CSR in October and if the trip is moved to July there is no availability at CSR for our time frame. So right now we have reservations at both waiting to cancel one until we know for sure. We were thinking of CBR but have stayed at POFQ before and liked it plus we got a lot of mixed reviews on CBR so we decided not to switch. When we did stay at POFQ it was March/April we did not use the pool so if anyone wants to share their experiences or helpful hints I would appreciate it.

Thanks for starting the new thread. We are so excited to stay here. Would love to see pics of new rooms. Someone, who is there now, said they would be posting, so I'm waiting to see any and all.

In addition, how warm is the pool right now? Did you swim at night to relax?

We leave all this snow in approximately 2 weeks so can't wait to hear.

Is anyone staying in a nonrefurb room?

Thanks again for all your help!:worship::worship:

Here now in building 7! We did online check in with no prior room requests made and when we got to the desk I asked for a refurb room. They had been about to assign us to building 3 but happily changed us to 7. Our room was ready by noon. Gorgeous corner king room! Our last trip here we stayed in building 1 and I think I prefer that, but 7 is a
bit closer to everything. The new bedspreads and carpeting are gorgeous! The work on building 5 is not
at all loud or distracting either. :)

oooh! so excited for the refurb. cant wait to see pics of new rooms. we will be there for a 3 day post cruise stay in June 2012!!!:cloud9:

I'll be following this thread with interest too-I'm staying at POFQ for the first time in September!

We will be there April 13-20th:cool1: Does anyone think it will be necessary to request a referb room at that time or will the odds be in my favor?

there is a free pay it forward at both port orleans resorts. there are many openings for feb. and mar. if you are interested please click the link below in my signature.

We will be there April 13-20th:cool1: Does anyone think it will be necessary to request a referb room at that time or will the odds be in my favor?

I think the odds will be very much in your favour, the whole resort will either be completed by then, or just at the end of work on the last building.

Andre

we have stayed at POFQ a few times, we actually like the "street view", since it is a view of the cobblestone streets, and you can hear and see the horse drawn carriage

hubby and i agree, the one thing POFQ realy needs is another pool!!! theycould put a "quiet pool" in that whole, useless courtyard next to bldg, 6, is it? or put one between bldg, 7 and the walkway to POR. not everyone wants to be around little kids. that is the WHOLE idea of the MODERATE resorts. having a child themed pool as the main pool , and then, one (or more) "quiet " pools . buyt, sincie they "did away with" the the TS restaurant "Bon Famile", I think it was, I can't beleive they charge as much for the resort, that does not have a TS restuarant.

since they NOW charge MORE for CSR, should they not charge LESS for POFQ, since there is only one pool, AND NO sit down TS restaurant.? after all, it is only one step up from a value resort.

Just back from a week at FQ. Had requested Bldg 7 (getting a refurbed room being my priority) thinking it would be easier to get that bldg since it is far away from the main lobby, but got the newly refurbed Bldg 4. Pleasant surprise since the room was just steps away from the food court.
Liked the room as it was time for FQ to be refreshed. One observation - it seems like the headboard was for the doubles, maybe they are using the same ones as before, because the queen mattress "hangs over" on both sides, and there is a gap between headboard and mattress at the top. I stuffed a pillow partially into the gap and was fine.
I think Bldg 4 was the newest refurb. The room still smelled of paint. There were a couple of issues. The DVD Audio In connection was not working with the TV. I could get Video, but no sound out of the TV. Also, the light "bar" in the bathroom started turning off on it's own the last night. I reported both to the front desk so the issues could be looked at/fixed. Liked that the sinks are now in a cabinet instead of the pedestal, and that there is storage underneath. The fridge also has a light! The dresser now has 3 big drawers. Odd that the trend seems to be going to less drawers. I noticed less drawers after the Pop refurb also.
Major construction going on in Bldg 5. I could hear some of it while in my room since I was right across from it. But they didn't start making noise until 7:30-8:00am.
Loved my stay at FQ, as usual, and enjoyed my new room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter