Poll-Will disney force you off site with their cuts?

Hobbes

DIS Veteran
DH and I were discussing the proposed cuts to EMH and he said perhaps its part of the plan to cut perks to those staying at the Value and Moderate resorts-I know theres long been conjecture that eventually FPs will be just for Deluxe guests. Which made us start to ponder-if Disney do remove fasptass for all but Deluxe guests and cut EMH altogether would we stop staying on site? (We are Value people and could not afford to stay Deluxe-even moderate was a splurge for our Disneymoon! )
So what do others think? Hopefully this is not the way its heading but who knows whats in the pipeline....

DH and I were discussing the proposed cuts to EMH and he said perhaps its part of the plan to cut perks to those staying at the Value and Moderate resorts-I know theres long been conjecture that eventually FPs will be just for Deluxe guests. Which made us start to ponder-if Disney do remove fasptass for all but Deluxe guests and cut EMH altogether would we stop staying on site? (We are Value people and could not afford to stay Deluxe-even moderate was a splurge for our Disneymoon! )
So what do others think? Hopefully this is not the way its heading but who knows whats in the pipeline....

We usually don't do evening EMH but are doing so this time kind of as an experiment. It'll make us less likely to use evening EMH in the future. We already stay kind of offsite, anyway (Shades of Green).

But when you add in this cut to the other cuts and changes in the last few years, it makes it more likely we'll look at other vacation destinations than we might have otherwise. I'm not saying we're never coming back, just that it's not the slam-dunk choice it used to be. I don't think we're really Disney's target demographic, anyway. They seem to be marketing pretty heavily to first-time visitors who don't really know any better.

Wow, I have not heard that about FP. If Disney does that, THAT will be what moves us away from Disney as our #1 pick for vacation, not the EMH.

Praying Colonel said:
But when you add in this cut to the other cuts and changes in the last few years, it makes it more likely we'll look at other vacation destinations than we might have otherwise. I'm not saying we're never coming back, just that it's not the slam-dunk choice it used to be. I don't think we're really Disney's target demographic, anyway. They seem to be marketing pretty heavily to first-time visitors who don't really know any better.

I agree with all of this!

Wow!
I have been fortunate to stay in Deluxe hotels the last several years. I think that limiting EMH and FP in that way would be sad (and dare I say elitist??). I was wondering what Disney was going to do about this though. If they are doing villas at the Grand Floridian and most likely at the Polynesian (and I'm sure not stopping there) that translates into an ever increasing amount of people getting EMH and FP. Eventually these "perks" won't be very effective. (Actually there is already a problem. Has anyone been to night EMH at Epcot? We don't even bother using them any more.) However, eliminating Value and Moderates from the perks is not the right choice!

I look at it the other way around, the trend seems to be higher crowds.

Being selfish and I hope they do ramp the prices up or cut the perks back to thin the crowds but the reality is they will just go for another demographic which brings in the most profit. Maybe catering more to the south American customer as that seems a growing market.

I hope they don't reserve FP for just onsite guests! As an Florida resident AP holder, that would make me pretty upset, as I don't stay in a hotel most of the time. Part of the reason I hold an AP for Disney and not Universal is because Fastpass is free. If they change it I would be seriously heartbroken.

I can't see it being eliminated entirely (fast pass), but I do think they will implement a policy of those who spend more to stay there will receive bigger perks. I don't know how it would work, but I could see value and moderate customers having less access to fast pass than deluxe.

It's hard to say what I'll do until we know exactly what the plan is. If I got twice year and stay at a moderate, I am likely spending far more than going once and staying deluxe so it doesn't seem like it would be in their best interest to alienate all of their value/mod customers. After the initial outcry, it's actually worked quite well for them to only offer counter service ddp during free dining to the Values. Many people pay to upgrade. I could see a system that allowed perks to the Deluxe guest that a value customer would get limited access to, unless they paid to upgrade.

All conjecture at this point. I know I do have a bottom line when it comes to what makes sense for us and vacations and the increase in AP's was it. We won't be renewing, and most likely will focus our attentions to other vacation spots.. which really isn't a bad thing.

To be quite honest, we don't FP and have only once taken advantage of EMH. With that being said, I don't think Disney would not allow those choosing to stay on property, even if it were the value resorts to be excluded from those perks. That IS the perk of staying on property, amongst other things of course.

We are DVC members, so we utilize the deluxe accomodations but I would like to pay cash and stay at a value resort just because they are really fun looking!!

As another poster stated, I don't feel Disney would try to target a single demographic of people, but I'm wondering if they are running into too many FP's early in the day. This is our problem. We usually sleep in a bit, get to the park with the attempt to FP a ride and it's hours from then or conflicts with our dining ressies that we just FORGET IT. Not worth the hassle of running accross the park.

Plus, we learned long ago we take Disney at a very slow pace and soak up all we can. Our philosophy is, if everyone get to do ONE thing at each park or they will croak, the MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! Every thing else is bonus!!:cheer2:

not certain why Disney is cutting anything. You cut when you are having problems. Never seem WDW so busy as this last year.

now during certain times of the year - summer when the Mk does not even close until midnight some nights - then EMH goes to 3am - yes these EMH hours could be cut. but not across the board.

when MK closes at 7pm - you sure need those 3 extra hours. now if they make MK close every night at 9 or 10pm - vs the size of the crowds - then would agreed to EMH being cut. this would have to be for Studios also.

before when they closed EMH - the outcry was pretty bad - they kept telling guests that they could use fast passes - but for the little ones their favorite Dumbo was not on fast pass and during the day that ride could be a wait of over 2 hours. So they decide to restart to the system to what it is now.

so hoping that either the new Dumbo will take fast passes - or something else.

We haven't really used the FP option all that much. We have been 4 times and the last trip was the first one we really used it. I would not miss it all that much. Now EMH are a big draw for us. There is just something being inside a mostly empty MK at 2 in the morning and walking up to anything you want. We have stayed at a moderate but actually prefer values. There is not a huge step up from the two in my eyes, and I would rather put that extra money to additional days or special things for the trip. We could not swing a deluxe and go every year as we have been. We also stay for the dining plan. We have paid for it and used free dining. I would think that is the biggest thing that keeps us on site. My husband and son are big foodies...and like fine food. It is just easier to have all the food either paid for in advance or better yet....free with that discount.

not certain why Disney is cutting anything. You cut when you are having problems. Never seem WDW so busy as this last year.

Actually they are under intense pressure on two fronts. First, their bankers have for sometime been very unhappy about the level if capital spending. What with building new ships, hotels, FLE, and Carsland at DLR the bankers feel the company is somewhat overextended and are insisting they reduce that.

On the other front, the major investors and the banks are pressuring for a reduction in operating expenses. Rightly or wrongly they feel that the costs, mostly staffing dollars, are way too high.

That's what's driving the reductions. As for FP, it will not be for deluxe guests only. There may be a perk for them, but FP is far too important for crowd movement for it ever to be completely removed from anyone.

We have used EMH and FastPasses on each of our trips, and like both of them. My Mom and I are usually the ones that take advantage of the evening EMH (we just don't get up early enough for the morning ones, lol), and I love running around a mostly empty park with her doing whatever we want because we don't have to wait. However, if they were eliminated, it wouldn't stop us from going or staying on site. We live in Orlando and stay on site, still, lol. I LOVE being on vacation at Disney, it is a complete break from reality which is what I want in a vacation. And, since we live in Orlando and have AP's (which we will renew next year even with the increase in price), we can go any time to do things that we might miss during our vacation. I know not everyone has that option or "luxury", but I'm really glad that we do.

I've not heard that rumor about WDW cutting FP perk. And it wouldn't benefit them. We use them a lot. I hate long lines so use FP for all the major attractions. If they eliminated this perk, and emh, they'd eliminate a huge reason for staying on site IMO and those DTD resorts would look a lot better to me. We stayed 1 night pre pkg at the Doubletree, 1 bdrm suite for the same price as a WDW value resort, and we got free breakfast too! Suite had fridge, coffee maker and microwave. So if Disney eliminated their on site perks I wouldn't have a problem going to Doubletree!

I would consider stayng at other hotels nearby that cost a fraction of the cost for days I am going to spend all day at the parks. I would then change my mind as I like not having to drive back to hotel. I also am a DVC member which saves me a lot of $$$ compared to paying cash prices.

I would be upset if Disney limited FP to Deluxe hotels only. I could understand if they made it Disney Hotels only to include DVC. That option would keep me on Disney property.

As far as evening EMH, Maybe just keep parks open later for everyone. I wish Epcot stayed open to 11 or 12 everynight. DHS could do the same. As far as Magic Kingdom, my children (in there 20's) can not stay up to 3 am with me then get back up to be at the parks by 9 ish with me. I thin3 is just too late. I would say that 1 am is late enough.
Magic Kingdom has been staying open longer for all guest. If they cut EMH to two hours maybe they will continue staying open until 11 or 12 for all guest and us EMH till 1 or 2.

Epcot and DHS should just stay open for everyone till 11 or 12 everynight and forget about EMH. Neither park has enough E-rides to handle the crowds for EMH.

I am also very fortunate to often stay at a Deluxe, but Disney resorts are just that - Disney Resorts. Lumped into one category for the purposes of allowing you to stay "in the World". Regardless of price, they are part of the "onsite" crowd, and Disney knows that. I can't imagine that Disney will ever separate out the Values and Moderates from the Deluxe to the level you're talking about. It would honestly be a marketing and PR nightmare for them. Part of the reason they can push onsite with so many deals is because they can talk abut the perks. I wouldn't even worry about this being a possibility.
That being said, cutting down the EMH doesn't really bother me. Last time I was there we stayed for EPCOTs EMH and by the middle of the second hour they were already shutting down things, which I thought was really annoying.

I won't go off-site. There haven't been that many cuts, and the few they have made don't affect me. I've never made it to the 3rd hour of a night time EMH, not matter how much I intended to.

I still find the dining plan to be a ton more food than I can eat, so I don't miss not being able to get an appetizer. And I like the fact that they added the refillable mug to the basic dining plan, because that I use!

People keep crying Cuts Cuts Cuts when Disney has added as much or more than they have cut.

Disney forced me offsite with their pricing.

They want WHAT for that quality hotel? Are they crazy?

Sorry, but for the prices they change they are so subpar. I don't like being ripped off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter