• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poll: If you are a previous user of DDP, what will you do in 2008?

For previous users of DDP, what will you do in 2008 if the proposed changes occur?

• I will still get the DDP.

• I will get the new DDP Deluxe.

• I will no longer get the DDP.

Results are only viewable after voting.
We have not decided one way or other, waiting to see what restaurants will be on the plan and if there is a reduction on meal selects. Right now there are not many TS places.

We are doing the Deluxe DP when we go in April. We sat down and looked at the menus and prices of the restaurants we would like to visit. ASSUMING that I can get ADR's at the times we want
Wendi

I see a problem.....

If the Deluxe DP allows you to eat at 1 credit or 2 credit TS resturants....won't the signature resturants (2 credit) get way over booked and be impossable to get?

Who would want to eat the food at a 1 credit resturant if you can have "better food" at what use to be a 2 credit resturant or signature dinning?

Seems the hard rules of supply and demand are being ignored??? By this one detail for 2008

I see a problem.....

If the Deluxe DP allows you to eat at 1 credit or 2 credit TS resturants....won't the signature resturants (2 credit) get way over booked and be impossable to get?

Who would want to eat the food at a 1 credit resturant if you can have "better food" at what use to be a 2 credit resturant or signature dinning?

Seems the hard rules of supply and demand are being ignored??? By this one detail for 2008

As I understand it, Deluxe DDP yields 3 meal credits per day that may each be used at CS or TS. It will still take 2 of those credits to eat at a signature restaurant.

As I understand it, Deluxe DDP yields 3 meal credits per day that may each be used at CS or TS. It will still take 2 of those credits to eat at a signature restaurant.

Thanks.....for the help

I'd still beat that system and pay for breakfast witch is cheapest meal and then go to a signature restaurant every night.

Or have a big breakfast on the plan.... pay cash and grab a $6.00 hotdog for lunch.... and still eat at the signature restaurants every night.

LOL .... maybe they are counting on the tip to crush my master plan
$200x20%=$40 tip:eek:

Thanks.....for the help

I'd still beat that system and pay for breakfast witch is cheapest meal and then go to a signature restaurant every night.

Or have a big breakfast on the plan.... pay cash and grab a $6.00 hotdog for lunch.... and still eat at the signature restaurants every night.

LOL .... maybe they are counting on the tip to crush my master plan
$200x20%=$40 tip:eek:

:goodvibes

That, and the fact that it's a rather pricey plan. Using 2 credits for a signature restaurant has less value than using one of those for a normal TS dinner and a TS breakfast.

But I think your point is a valid one. To the extent that people buy the Deluxe DDP, it'll increase bookings at signature restaurants.

We'll see just how popular it is.

From Disney's perspective, it looks like there is some additional administration for this plan, since the credits are different than the regular DDP ones (because they include appetizer at lunch and dinner). So we'll see if it's worth it for them to keep it going year after year, or if they drop it.

One thing's for sure...the current DDP has been wonderful, and I'm grateful it's allowed DW and I to enjoy wonderful meals on the cheap for our first two WDW vacations. :)

(And, for what it's worth, I plan to get the Deluxe DDP next year if my parents are able to go, since it'll give them the freedom to eat whatever and whenever they want without worrying about cost. I don't know how many folks will be buying Deluxe DDP for their guests, but in that sort of situation it's unlikely anyone will be doing any maximization of credits.)

I hope Disney see's this and doesn't change it. Or Disney take a survey on it first.They should definately keep the tip with this deal. The only thing they should do instead of cutting out the appetizer they should give you a choice of appetizer or dessert. I don't think anybody in my family will ever get it again.

:mickeyjum :tinker: :mickeyjum :mickeyjum :mickeyjum :mickeyjum :mickeyjum :goofy:

I agree with you, I think if they are going to do away with something, at least let you choose whether or not you want the appetizer or the dessert. Most times after my meal, I'm not even hungry for the dessert. I usually eat it because its included, not because I need it or because I'm still hungry. Plus, I have a diabetic child and I know she'd rather be able to order an appetizer since she's limited on what she can have for dessert.:sad2:

We used the DDP in 2006 and really liked it. We also saved alot of money (especially since we rented points and stayed at a DVC resort and did not pay rack rate for our room).

I would never do the deluxe plan - WAY too much food. But the regular DDP fit our standard practice well (breakfast in room, CS lunch and TS dinner).

We will be going back to WDW in 2008 and I am disappointed by the very significant changes in the program. However, I am likely to use the DDP again for the following reasons: (1) it is still a decent deal since I plan to rent points again from DVC and not pay rack rates; and (2) my DD will turn 10 in the middle of our trip, and, since I will buy the DDP while she is still 9, she can be a child under the plan and eat the kids meals (something she would want to do anyway). If I cannot rent points, or am forced to change the plan for DD into an adult plan in the middle of our trip, I will not use the DDP (and will probably stay offsite for the first time ever).

I also wish they would make it appetizer or dessert. My guess is they won't since alot of people would get one of each and this would delay departure from restaurants (and therefore there will be fewer seatings for that restaurant).

The removal of the tip is not as bothersome - in 2006, we had three (of eight) TS meals where the service was very bad (Boma, LC and GG). Now that the tip is discretionary, I expect that will change (and, if not, I won't be leaving much of a tip). I will just carry extra cash around to pay for tips.

We will still get the dining plan. I didn't want to. I wanted to 'prove a point' about them messing with a good thing.

Then I ran the numbers. We do one sit down a day and use all of our CS meals. I figured what we would eat paying OOP, skipping desserts for all CS and skipping some desserts for TS. We never rarely order an appetizer as we have more of a sweet tooth.

Unfortunately we save $29.00 per person over the course of our trip before you factor in any treats. With two DS's we get almost one treat a day (at least)

I don't want to do it, but like Disney runs a business, I run a business in my house. If I can save us over $120 on vacation and get more for everyone while saving that money, then I am going to do it.

We'll probably do the deluxe - my DS loves to eat. 3 meals may be too much but if we decide to do Citricos or Flying Fish it'll be 2 credits each on a meal.

What will we do in 2008?

The dining plan was fun for our first trip to WDW, and it was a really good deal for us. We definitely wouldn't get the new version -- we would have been fine with them dropping the appetizer, or making it a choice of appetizer or dessert, and/or taking away the dessert from lunch. But dropping the appetizer AND the gratuity, and decreasing the plan a token -- almost insultingly pointless -- $1 per adult, is a huge, huge increase. And the hassle to have to carry cash for a tip again, which was one of the key selling points of the plan.

We're going to Disneyland instead. We'll save the airfare, and the trip will be much more affordable all around.

:rotfl:
mmc12.jpg

I'M NO FOOL:dance3:

No, we'll skip it next time. I won't eat TS every day and we'll be just fine. It may mean us staying off property as well.

For our trip next year we will purchase the deluxe dining plan. For a couple of reasons. It will be our "All Out" trip. We go all out every 4 years. Meaning we stay for 16 nights (usually at AKL our favorite resort). And we try and eat a TS meal 2x's a day. making sure we get all our favorite rest in and some new ones as well. And w/ having more TS cedits to play w/ I think we'll have a great time.

On the other hand for the following years trip I don't believe I would purchase any plan. It jut doesn't make sense too.

I wonder if Disney does offer the Free Dining next year if you can buy the upgrade to deluxe?

We'll still get the DDP. In fact, we jus booked with the new deluse DDP for next May. For us (my aunt and I), it's not just about saving money. My aunt is also very concerned about carrying cash around and having any in the room. Having meals already paid for was a huge plus in that regard. We easily could've spent close to $1000 on our trip this year, and she wasn't comfortable carrying that around and doesn't have a debit or credit card.

We'll planning on getting the basic plan again for the convenience and not having to carry that much cash with us. The deluxe plan is just to much food for us, won't even consider it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter