• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poll: If you are a previous user of DDP, what will you do in 2008?

For previous users of DDP, what will you do in 2008 if the proposed changes occur?

• I will still get the DDP.

• I will get the new DDP Deluxe.

• I will no longer get the DDP.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Diznut84

SoCal
Please only answer this poll question either if a) you have previously used the DDP, or b) you would have used the DDP as the program existed in 2007. If you have never used DDP or would not have used it under the 2007 plan terms, please do not take the poll. Feel free to comment below, though!

The reason for this is I'm interested in determining what percent of people will quit using the DDP in 2008 that otherwise would have used it. Of course, this is all unscientific, but nevertheless interesting! :)

Thanks for participating!

I certainly won't consider my options until DISNEY has released complete details. Will room service be included with the deluxe plan? How many credits? Will the number of extra items included as snacks be reduced?

Will the price of the dining plan be discounted if we book through AAA? Will the dining plan be discounted if we book through a PIN code? The new pricing may give Disney enough margin to discount the plan, particularly if sales drop more then anticipated.

Based on the unofficial information I wouldn't book the basic DDP and I probably wouldn't book the deluxe plan unless I was planning on staying in a deluxe resort.

If I don't book a Disney dining plan I'll probably look to stay offsite or at the S/D. I'll probably try a restaurant like blueZoo.

I figure as it stands our 2008 Deluxe DDP would cost our family of 4 about $280 a day (+ $50 or so in tips).:eek:
I am not going to try and compare the value to the current DDP. Yes there are alot of extra's thrown in (mug, snack, and as I understand it you could do 3 table meals a day if you want to...) However when I am in WDW I definitely don't want to do that many sit downs in a day...JMO...so from a cost per day standpoint this plan would make no sense for my family.
We could probably easily do a sit down meal for $150-$180. We LIKE to eat breakfast our hotel room to save time, and lunch and snack won't come near to making up the $100 difference so no Deluxe plan for this family!

As far as the regular DDP in 2008, who knows?? I think it will be a wash for us so we will probably won't purchase it either. I am thinking we may just start doing 2 or 3 sit downs at our favorite restaurants during our trip, and spend more time doing other things!:)

We go to WDW too often to go all out on the spending..BUT if I only went once every 5 years or so, I might consider the Deluxe Plan..hopefully I'll never find out!:cool1:

I can't imagine using the deluxe plan we already feel like 1 TS a day takes up a great deal of time. As for the basic plan if they took off the appetizer (I'm not saying I wouldn't miss it) I would still keep it but if as rumored it will no longer include tips we will do without the DDP. I like the current plan as it allows me to have a bulk of my vacation prepaid and it is a good deal.

I would consider the deluxe plan. Honestly I would probably do a split stay, spend 4 or 5 days in Disney and let DGD get her fill of the character meals, enjoy some nice meals and perhaps a dinner show, then a few days off site visiting some area attractions.

Where is the info on the deluxe DDP? I have not seen anything about it. Does anyone have a link?

Thanks!

I've used the DDP twice, and have loved it both times. I don't care so much about the appetizer (there was WAAAYYY too much food for one meal anyway), but the tip bugs me. I won't get it again. The dining plan was already more than I would have spent because I normally wouldn't choose a sitdown meal every day.

We've used the DDP the past 3 years and quite frankly with these changes we probably will not even go to disney next year. It's hard to convince my boyfriend who is not as disney crazed as me to go year after year, and with the changes to the dining situation he probably wont be as interested. We can go to an all inclusive somewhere else. Before the dining plan it was pretty impossible to get him to even go. I think he liked knowing we would be getting decent food (we're vegetarian so that's hard to come by!), not paying a fortune for it, and everthing was taken care of aside from an extra tip that we would be giving the better servers. That will sort of go down the tubes now.

tricia.

I'll be getting the deluxe plan next time around. I love the variety of all the TS's but I'm usually a light eater, so don't get the full appie, entree and dessert anyway. The no gratuity is no problem, as so many people leave an additional tip anyway.

with the basic dining plan they are charging almost the same price but you do not get an appetizer and still have to pay tip. Sure Disney charge me the same but give me less. Um no thank you.

The deluxe is way too much food and I never get a refillable mug anyway.

I hope Disney see's this and doesn't change it. Or Disney take a survey on it first.They should definately keep the tip with this deal. The only thing they should do instead of cutting out the appetizer they should give you a choice of appetizer or dessert. I don't think anybody in my family will ever get it again.

:mickeyjum :tinker: :mickeyjum :mickeyjum :mickeyjum :mickeyjum :mickeyjum :goofy:

From a rough analysis (I am sure that I made some mistakes) using our ADRs for 2 adults and 2 children, we still come out ahead with the new unofficial 2008 DDP. So, after the official 2008 DDP is released and I crunch numbers to make sure that I am fairly accurate, we will probably do DDP for our January trip.

From what I can tell, we come out ahead simply because we are doing 4 buffets (3 dinners and 1 breakfast), and the children's buffet prices are usually $11 - $13. Since the child's DDP is only $10 per day, we come out ahead. I even dropped one of the TS meals (non buffet) that I could do without, and we still come out ahead. For just 2 adults, I would probably skip the DDP. I don't see how you could come out ahead (or break even, which would be fine with me because of the convenience of the DDP).

I agree with one of the other posters. It doesn't bother me much that they may drop the appetizer, but it does bother me about not including tip. Part of the benefit of the DDP is not having to mess with the bill. If they don't include tip in the DDP, much of the convenience (not just the value) disappears. I don't want to keep track of every tip on every bill and did they charge it to my room correctly or what, etc.

I hope Disney see's this and doesn't change it. Or Disney take a survey on it first.They should definately keep the tip with this deal. The only thing they should do instead of cutting out the appetizer they should give you a choice of appetizer or dessert. I don't think anybody in my family will ever get it again.

:mickeyjum :tinker: :mickeyjum :mickeyjum :mickeyjum :mickeyjum :mickeyjum :goofy:

Actually in the past year there have been at least 2 disney survey's my DH has participated in which referenced similar plans to the ones rumored. Those 2 probably weren't the only ones conducted to find out what changes people wanted. Just remember, the DIS is not representative of the average disney guest.

I couldn't answer because I don't know. We're going to run the numbers with these possibilities:

1. the DDP as it will look next year;
2. the deluxe DDP;
3. buying an AP and DDE and staying onsite and eating onsite;
4. buying an AP and DDE and staying offsite and eating onsite;
5. staying offsite and eating TS offsite.

Whichever works best for us is what we'll end up doing. If the changes as rumored on Deb Wills' site are true, I'm guessing it's most likely to be #5.

We were on the free ddp last year and have it again for 4 days of our stay this year. IMHO you get way too much food. Even though the CSs and the TSs were/are free, I don't like waste, and that's what we ended up doing, wasting food. That bothers me - wierd, I know, but it does.

With the addition of healthy options on the menus, including the CSs, meals don't necessarily mean fingers and fries or burgers and fries. There's salads, wraps, etc. to choose from.

So, with that, the next time we go we will dine OOP, because oftentimes "winging" it is easier, and it also puts the spontenaeity back in the vacation. There are also times when the kids just like to get a pie and some frozen Cokes and eat either in the room and veg in front of the telly, or poolside, putting their feet up. If there's a restaurant we really really really want to eat in we will, and I'll budget for it. Other than that, a CS in whatever park we're in will work out, too.

I like the convenience of the DP the way it is now. The fact that is was prepaid and you didn't have to worry about carrying cash for the tip was nice. We liked the variety of new things we could try. Normally we wouldn't do that many sit down meals, but the convenience of the DP made it so easy. With the new changes, I don't think we'll do it again next year.

Based on the unofficial information, we would be skipping the dining plan next year. We LOVED it last year, and are taking advantage of it again in 43 days! BUT, with DD being 10 next year, AND being a very picky eater, it wouldn't be worth it for us to spend the money.
This gives us other choices at places we wouldn't normally go off the DDP, and maybe even some OFF-SITE places that have been recommended. :confused3
I'd be happy with Disney taking away our app, and even raising it a dollar, but taking out the app and the tip (we additionally tipped anyone and everyone who deserves it)...plus DD being an "adult", doesn't make it worthwhile for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter