• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poll: How did it feel the first time you wore a mask out in public

How does it feel wearing a mask out in public

• Awkward! (Or other emotion/embarrassment)

Votes: 116 30.0%
  • Physically Stressed! (Coughing, claustrophobic)

Votes: 58 15.0%
  • Resentful! (This is America, dammit!)

Votes: 15 3.9%
  • Love it! (Always wanted to try it!)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Whatever! (Doesn't bother me at all)

Votes: 128 33.1%
  • Wouldn't know, haven't been out!

Votes: 18 4.7%
  • Absolutely REFUSE to wear one!

Votes: 18 4.7%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 30 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wore a mask for the first time the other day at Walmart and decided it definitely wasn’t for me and I’m not going to wear one again unless it becomes mandatory.

I felt much more at risk with the mask on than without it.

I went to Sam’s and Kroger today and more people weren’t wearing masks than were. I think people are just done here (Texas) and are starting to get back to normal. The stay at home order ended last week. I guess we will see what happens. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I haven’t worn one yet. I hope not to have to wear one, but I do have travel this summer (hopefully) and I heard American Airlines is now requiring them. I’m usually a big snacker on the plane, so I’m not sure how that will work...Grocery stores here in the Midwest are requiring them, but I usually just shop at Walmart. Some people are wearing them there, I’d say it’s 50/50. Other than that I just go hiking and go to work (as a nanny).

My first time out was really awkward but I think that was mostly the type of mask. My ears can't hold the over the ear ones that well, so it was really uncomfortable and I felt like it was going to fly off my face most of the time. I since bought some that go around my head and those are totally fine, they are comfortable and perfectly OK for a short trip out. It is really weird not being able to read people's facial expressions though, definitely not used to that yet. In the bay area, CA it is the vast majority that are wearing masks.

We have masks but haven’t left the house since mid March so haven’t had to wear them yet.

We live in NJ and go for walks in our area but we stay away from people. We get all of our food delivered from Costco or Whole Foods.

If we decide to go out to a store, we will need to wear masks. I put a few in the glove compartments of each car.

Honestly, I feel like we’re on an extended vacation and have no interest in going anywhere. With places like Disney and Broadway closed and concerts being cancelled, there’s nowhere that I want to go anyway. It’s nice to be home with the people I love most. It’s comfortable here. We opened the pool and have a gym for workouts... all is good.

My high schooler and middle schooler are psyched to have school online for the rest of the year but my son who had to come home from college wishes he could have finished the year there and hopes campus opens up in the fall.

Stay safe and healthy everyone!!

Felt like I wanted to run with some varmints and rob the nearest stagecoach.

Nah, I voted 'Whatever.' I live where it's mandatory so why have any other opinion if I have to wear it anyway? The thing I find *weird* is the total silence I found when I went to the pharmacy. No music over the loudspeakers and people chatting as usual. It's like the masks silence people.

I voted awkward because that's always how I've felt in the past. I haven't been out in public because I'm high risk, but have had to wear them in the past and have always felt awkward. My guess is that it won't feel awkward anymore because it will be more normal.

I’m in central Massachusetts where cases are pretty high. When you go to a store around here, people look strange if they aren’t wearing a mask. (I do and have been wearing one.). I have seen those without masks and others kind of walk by and shake their heads like they can’t believe someone won’t wear one to help prevent others from getting sick.

Starting Thursday, everyone in the state is supposed to wear one when out in public. I hope most people here will continue to do so to get our numbers to keep dropping and get back to a new normal much quicker.

Would like to keep this light if possible! 😷

I admit, though I wear one for work, it felt very awkward wearing one out in public the first time I did, which was several weeks ago. Many then weren't wearing them so that made it kind of worse.

Here in MA just a few days ago the Governer issued an order that it's mandatory to wear a mask in public now, so just about everyone is wearing them. Most establishments have a sign at the door that you are not allowed in without one. I have even seen police details at supermarkets making sure and keeping things civil, I guess.

Still, it seems almost surreal seeing everyone, of every age, walking around in masks. Makes me wonder what everyone is thinking under theirs!

What was it/is it like for you? Just for fun.

Include where you live and what style/type you're wearing.
I felt strange the very first time, but then got used to it, especially after it became a mandate in our area. Now everyone wears one and its no big deal.

But its true that sometimes, especially with the weather lately and my wearing baseball hats or hoodies and big Sunglasses, I look at my self and think that at any other time I would be mistaken for a robber.

Unfortunately, the numbers of cases and the death toll is still rising in my state so I will continue to wear a mask when I have to go out. It doesn't bother me one bit. Better to be safe than sorry. Also, I have a huge fabric stash and have been able to make some really cute masks. :)

And just to make it more awkward, the worker who helped me straighten the rack out told me she wasn't wearing a mask at all because it "gets in her way" and the girl who rang me up was wearing one over her mouth but below her nose "so she could still see what she was doing". But I wouldn't have been allowed to go into that store without a mask.

What store was this? I wouldn't be too impressed with a store that won't allow people in without a mask, but then don't make their employees wear a mask!!! Makes no sense!

I voted "whatever". If it helps at all with transmission, even a little bit, then I feel it is my responsibility to wear one.

I laughed at the "resentful" option.

I didn't feel awkward really as most people were also wearing them by the time I went out. Now they are mandatory in my state so it feels normal in a way.

One thing that I did realize is I am ALWAYS smiling. Even with my mask and sunglasses on during a walk home form the liquor store, I was smiling at people. Then I would laugh to myself because they clearly could not see me smiling, even by my eyes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter