Poll: How did it feel the first time you wore a mask out in public

How does it feel wearing a mask out in public

• Awkward! (Or other emotion/embarrassment)

Votes: 116 30.0%
  • Physically Stressed! (Coughing, claustrophobic)

Votes: 58 15.0%
  • Resentful! (This is America, dammit!)

Votes: 15 3.9%
  • Love it! (Always wanted to try it!)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Whatever! (Doesn't bother me at all)

Votes: 128 33.1%
  • Wouldn't know, haven't been out!

Votes: 18 4.7%
  • Absolutely REFUSE to wear one!

Votes: 18 4.7%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 30 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
Would like to keep this light if possible! 😷

I admit, though I wear one for work, it felt very awkward wearing one out in public the first time I did, which was several weeks ago. Many then weren't wearing them so that made it kind of worse.

Here in MA just a few days ago the Governer issued an order that it's mandatory to wear a mask in public now, so just about everyone is wearing them. Most establishments have a sign at the door that you are not allowed in without one. I have even seen police details at supermarkets making sure and keeping things civil, I guess.

Still, it seems almost surreal seeing everyone, of every age, walking around in masks. Makes me wonder what everyone is thinking under theirs!

What was it/is it like for you? Just for fun.

Include where you live and what style/type you're wearing.

Last edited:
I started out with a paper mask but I've since gotten some cute Disney and other cloth masks that friends have made. I keep a variety in the car and in my pocketbook.

Don't love wearing them, but doing my part.

I like some of the bandana styles that have ear loops but I feel as if they'll be too hot in the warmer weather that's coming. If this heads into the cooler months (which I hope NOT!), I'll probably get some of those.

Last edited:
I didn't feel like a clown, but I sure was looked at like a clown. I started wearing masks in public before it was "cool". :crazy:

Masks became mandatory in our county last month -- a little over 2 weeks ago. DH was already wearing a mask as the designated shopper/errand runner and had been for about 3 weeks already. The first time he went out with a mask, he got lots of stares because no one else was wearing one. By the time it became mandatory, it was no big deal -- some people were approaching him in stores to ask where he got his mask because they liked it.
For me, wearing a mask in public was sort of weird the first time. It was already mandatory, so I wasn't exactly alone. But it just felt uncomfortable. And the 90* weather didn't help either.

Other. I’m neither pro or anti mask. Masks are not mandatory here. I don’t have one. If they were required I’d figure something out. We have a very limited number of certified N95’s at work for use in certain high-risk settings but such an occurrence has not come up for me yet.

The very first time I wore it, I felt awkward, but that quickly went away.

I have one or two paper/surgical masks that I've been "baking" after use. Got some cloth masks also, but when i wear them, I guess the fibers start tickling my nose and I get a HORRIBLE urge to touch my face.

Slightly awkward. But it didn't take long at all to get over it. You definitely start noticing quickly who is and who isn't wearing masks. Initially *none* of the employees at our grocery store were wearing them. I had heard the company wasn't allowing it because they didn't have the supply to give all employees a mask. That changed shortly after though and I believe they are all provided masks if they don't have one now.

The most annoying thing is the only thing I do out right now is grocery shop. I use my phone to mark off items on my shopping list. Face Id does not work while wearing a mask, so I have to type in my passcode every time I want to mark something off or find out what is next. I know, first world problems right?

My vote is that I haven’t been out. We go out for walks and don’t use one. Our neighborhood has been good with social distancing, as people walk when passing someone, people move into the street, etc..
Our DS has done our food shopping and if anything else is needed, we do curbside pick up. However, I have no problem wearing one and will do so. If it can help, even the slightest bit, I want to do my part. We are working from home, for that I am grateful. When we go back, if we need to wear one, that is fine by me. We are in our 60s, DH has health issues. We live in NJ.

I chose awkward but really what I felt was sad when I went in a store last week for the first time with a mask. I know it is for the greater good, but reminded me of a dystopian novel to see everyone wearing them and everyone appearing to be fearful of each other.

I haven't worn one. I have to wear them at work sometimes, but haven't been into a public place or work since March 13th.

I do go out with DH and sit in the car when he runs errands for us, and I've been watching folks as they wear masks. In my area more than 50% of masks are being worn incorrectly and aren't really providing protection to others. A week ago I saw 12 people wearing masks and none of them were being worn correctly. :(

I chose the resentful. I honestly didn't care wearing it, especially just to run in a store. However, I am annoyed at being forced to do so. I work in a restaurant and when I have to wear one all day I'll be even more so I'm sure.

I haven't worn one. I have to wear them at work sometimes, but haven't been into a public place or work since March 13th.

I do go out with DH and sit in the car when he runs errands for us, and I've been watching folks as they wear masks. In my area more than 50% of masks are being worn incorrectly and aren't really providing protection to others. A week ago I saw 12 people wearing masks and none of them were being worn correctly. :(
I have seen that too. Grocery workers had masks and shields on, but the masks were off their noses. A lot of people are wearing masks off their noses even without the shield.

I chose the resentful. I honestly didn't care wearing it, especially just to run in a store. However, I am annoyed at being forced to do so. I work in a restaurant and when I have to wear one all day I'll be even more so I'm sure.
Well, since you work around people in a restaurant, it's doubly important that you get used to it for (hopefully) the short-term. It's for the health of those you are serving - sorry you feel you are being 'forced'.

It wouldn't let me vote for two choices... If it had, I would have voted for awkward and physically stressed.

I made my own masks. The first set I made was the pleated style similar to a surgical mask. I tried it on at home for a while (because I am kind of claustrophobic) and thought it wasn't TOO bad, but actually wearing it while trying to shop and push a cart is a totally different story. It was not very pleasant at all (and my glasses kept steaming up.) I have since made more masks in a more shaped style, and they're slightly better from a claustrophobia standpoint, but only a little. I'll keep wearing one while they're recommended though.

I started wearing a mask when the governor started recommending it, but it's still not mandatory here. The first time, I felt very awkward because not too many people were wearing masks and everyone else's was a "real" mask. I felt like people were looking at me and wondering if I was sick. Now, most people are wearing masks and many are homemade, so I'm just one of the crowd.

Last edited:
Somewhat awkward, but generally speaking, fine. A relative had made some cloth masks for us, so that's what I've worn so far. My biggest problem is my glasses fogging up. Fortunately, I can go without my glasses at times, so I just leave my glasses in the car when I've shopped lately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter