Podcast Team Backstory

DisneyKingpin

Mouseketeer
So, listening to Old Key West 7-in-7 podcast today, I really enjoyed listening to Pete talk about his introduction to the resort years ago. He even mentioned how he and John used to be a couple and gave the backstory on how he bought into the DVC there. I really enjoyed his story and learning more about him.

Anyway, it got me to think about how I wish I knew more about the podcast team and each of their backgrounds. I've only been listening for a year and a half and I still can't quite figure out their backgrounds and relationships to each other.

For example, I hear them talk from time to time about a "welcome center" and it seems to have some significance but I have no idea what it's all about. Also, I love all the talk about Bob Varley, but again, I don't know how this man had come into thier lives. And it seems like some folks - like Dustin and Craig - entered the fold later. But I often wonder how they came to be on the team.

I have a whole bunch of questions like this, but have no time to go back and listen to years worth of podcasts to figure it out. Even simple things like what they all do for a living, and how many kids they have. Etc. It'd be nice to have some sort of "about us" page for newcomers like me. And if such a page exists, I'd love to know where to find it.

Last edited:
There is a podcast that covers most of what you're looking for. I'm sure someone will post exactly which one it is. There is also a link somewhere on the website that will take you to the Bawb Memorial show ...I believe.

Sounds like a DIS timeline would be helpful....

The Bob Varley Memorial is April 27, 2011, the 5th Anniversary Show was 7/29/11 and worth a listen, the DIS 15th Anniversary show was 06/06/12 and the 6th Anniversary Show was 7/25/12. Those ought to get you going - though I don't think any of the new team was included in these

there is an older episode from 2010 or 11 titled something like "introduction to the dis" and it covers all of the team at that time's history.

long story short without all the details, and possibly out of order:

Pete (who worked for UPS) and John (who at one time was a food scientist) lived in NJ...they came down for a trip...saw a job fair sign at WDW..John applied on a whim...got an interview the next day (resulting in them having to go but interview clothes since they were on vacation), got an IT job, they moved to FL, started DreamsUnlimited, as the boards grew Bob, a long-time user of the boards, moved to FL to help Pete (wheter Pete asked or Bob invited himself is one of the great stories that takes to long to type), at some point Pete and John seperated and John and Kevin started dating, Corey joined to help on the coputer side and Kevin (who used to teach kindergarten at one point) who was dating John began to work for DU also and they started a podcast (after trying to hire "professionals" to do it for them that didn't work out)...after a trip to CA Julie (Corey's wife of course) joined the team and the "roundtable" was born...after Bob passsed away unexpectly Kathy and Theresa (Pete's sister-in-law, her husband is Walter's brother..Walter being Pete's husband who used to be on the show but has returned to his old line of work) began on the show to fill-in (not replace) Bob's chair..Dustin and Craig joined as Pete really started expanding the scope of the Dis and DreamsUnlimted, including opening a visitor center in Cocoa Beach and JL has been the most recent addition...there have been numerous other producers/interns that have come and gone (Will, Shaun, Max, etc)

Pete (who worked for UPS) and John (who at one time was a food scientist) lived in NJ...they came down for a trip...saw a job fair sign at WDW..John applied on a whim...got an interview the next day (resulting in them having to go but interview clothes since they were on vacation), got an IT job, they moved to FL, started DreamsUnlimited, as the boards grew Bob, a long-time user of the boards, moved to FL to help Pete (wheter Pete asked or Bob invited himself is one of the great stories that takes to long to type), at some point Pete and John seperated and John and Kevin started dating, Corey joined to help on the coputer side and Kevin (who used to teach kindergarten at one point) who was dating John began to work for DU also and they started a podcast (after trying to hire "professionals" to do it for them that didn't work out)...after a trip to CA Julie (Corey's wife of course) joined the team and the "roundtable" was born...after Bob passsed away unexpectly Kathy and Theresa (Pete's sister-in-law, her husband is Walter's brother..Walter being Pete's husband who used to be on the show but has returned to his old line of work) began on the show to fill-in (not replace) Bob's chair..Dustin and Craig joined as Pete really started expanding the scope of the Dis and DreamsUnlimted, including opening a visitor center in Cocoa Beach and JL has been the most recent addition...there have been numerous other producers/interns that have come and gone (Will, Shaun, Max, etc)

John was a food scientist???? Is that true?

i didn't know Pete and John dated before. I just knew they both came from NJ.

themoreyouknow.gif

I had my meeting to join the team a few days before Bob died. Bob, Kevin, John and I were at AK to see Joe Rohde.

John was a food scientist???? Is that true?

Do you ever listen to me?

LOL...he's mentioned it once or twice, usually during a dining review to point something out about the food...why that has always stuck with me (besides being one of those jobs that sounds really cool but in reality is prob really tedious) is becuase of a really old dining review of 50's PrimeTime Cafe where they ordered the fried chicken and John could tell they were using previously frozen chicken becuase the bone was darker/redder which doesn't happen when you use fresh/never frozen chicken....I never knew that before so now when I eat out and order chicken I pay attention to the bone as I eat it (not that it really matters but it's a interesting fact)

Walter being Pete's husband who used to be on the show but has returned to his old line of work)

So Pete and Walter are still together? Since I haven't heard anything about Walter in a long time and Pete doesn't talk about him, I assumed they are no longer together.

Thank you so much for the "vignette" of the team's lives, that was so interesting to me. As I've said before, they feel like "friends of mine discussing Disney" every week, not just "random people" to me, and I've always wanted to know ore about them (of course - only as much as they are comfortable sharing) as I would with any friends. I'd tell them about me too in return, but I'm sure they wouldn't care. LOL Hopefully someday I'll get to meet at least some of the people who have brightened my life personally.

It would be neat to make a list of everyone who has ever been on the podcast.
Some are truly missed

So Pete and Walter are still together? Since I haven't heard anything about Walter in a long time and Pete doesn't talk about him, I assumed they are no longer together.

I don't know what their personal situation is now either way, I was just trying to establish Theresa's connection to the podcast when she joined and who Walter is as he was on the older podcasts

Thanks for the crib notes. I have so many questions.

So what is the welcome center? Is it like a tourist info center?

Who is Walter, and why doesn't he do the podcast anymore?

Where did this new guy, Ryno, come from?

Who is the guy on Skype in the 7-in-7 and what is his relationship to the group? (It's like he appeared out of nowhere without explanation. I must have missed the episode introducing him.)

How is the round table chosen each week? Seems like a different cast each week. Is there a rotation?

Are John and Kevin married?

Why does Pete only do the first show but not the second show each week? All the other cast members stay for both shows.

How did JL, Dustin and Craig join the team?

LOL...he's mentioned it once or twice, usually during a dining review to point something out about the food...why that has always stuck with me (besides being one of those jobs that sounds really cool but in reality is prob really tedious) is becuase of a really old dining review of 50's PrimeTime Cafe where they ordered the fried chicken and John could tell they were using previously frozen chicken becuase the bone was darker/redder which doesn't happen when you use fresh/never frozen chicken....I never knew that before so now when I eat out and order chicken I pay attention to the bone as I eat it (not that it really matters but it's a interesting fact)

That 50's Chicken part has totally changed my life and how I know if chicken is good or not

I love all the talk about Bob Varley, but again, I don't know how this man had come into thier lives.

You really should take the time to listen to some Bob episodes. The Bob shenanigans are some of the funniest moments ever. There was also a really great connection between the crew back then. Those were really great times.

The DIS came before Dreams Unlimited Travel. Pete started the DIS back in 1997, and it was the Dis Information Station in those days. I think Dreams Unlimited Travel began in 2000, when Pete, John, and Donna collaborated to start the company. The first travel agents were all moderators. If I remember correctly, the podcast started in 2006.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter