!!! PLEASE READ!!! Important News Regarding Swaps & Shares!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would still like a REAL explination as to why DVC gets to be an exception and no one else does. There is a lot more money and risk involved there than in a ten dollar stroller swap. What makes DVC so special that they get to d owhat no one else is allowed to do, and for much higher stakes. It just does not make sense to me that the only exception to the rule should be the one that has the most potental to go horribly wrong and needs to be the most closely watched and policed. If you guys are going to allow this service to DVC owners to promote their product and make money on the deal. I feel that the same courtesy should be extended to people who are only trying to help one another. I have said before and i will say agian the the right thing to do here would to be to set up a section for swaps the is policed like the DVC board. Otherwise you are giving one group special treatment, and I just don't feel that this is fair.
To be completely honest I feel like people with more money and influence (DVC owners) are being allowed to dictate policy here. I realize this is a generalization, but I feel like it is a fairly valid one. It is not fair that they get to do something the people on a buget are denyed just because they own DVC.

Oh oh oh - let me answer.

With a DVC swap - people are getting an actual commodity with a real value. They get a villa which exists and is not going to vanish, be lost by luggage services or damaged beyond repair.

Just dumbfounded that some people do not understand the difference?:confused3

I replied back on page 1 to help keep this on the first page. Somehow I walked away from my computer and I came back to see 24 pages of conversation!! Yikes!! I guess we didn't have to worry about it staying bumped to the first page!! ;)

Can I ask people to PM me if they're interested in a share, or is that against the rules? BTW, I love DIS and will respect the rules here always. :love:

As stated throughout this thread, that's fine as long as no money is changing hands.

SOLUTIONS:

Photopass -- bring your camera; buy a camera; borrow a camera. In all our trips, I've never used Photopass and have tons of photos with our entire group in all the photos. Its so easy to just ask someone, even a Photopass CM, to take a photo using your camera. EVERYONE DOES IT.

Frig -- bring a collapsible cooler & get ice from the hotel. We do this on every trip.

I really don't see why no swaps is such a big deal. We travel many places. No need to rent strollers, frigs or pay for photos at ANY travel destination.
Trust me. You will all live and enjoy your trip even if you don't swap a frig.

Moving on...
so Speed -- let's get back to discussion about this mug swap --- Will it be washed regularly? If so, by whom? (I'll need photos first so I can see if the color clashes with my tshirts.)
A new mug style or old?
Can I get a picture of me in the pools without submerging if the water's chilly or I'm having a bad hair day or does that void the agreement?

Inquiring minds need to know...:idea:

Not weighing in on the decision...if the rules have changed, that's the way it is.

The fridge swap I participated in last trip took great pains to ensure that Disney was in no way inconvenienced by having to store our fridge. Each of us met the person prior to and after us to pass the fridge along. I know I enjoyed meeting those people face-to-face! That said, I meet many people at WDW throughout our trip but it was fun to meet those DIS'ers and to easily pass on some additional items that I then didn't have to take home.

I was told when I inquired with Disney that there was no guarantee that I would get a fridge as there are limited supplies and that there was no issue with the swaps - this was a viable option at the time to ensure we had a fridge...the option will continue for people who want to swap in the future, just not here at the DISboards.

I will say that I don't understand why people have been so nasty in this thread. Final comment: The swaps they are gone so the nastier comments made by some people were unnecessary and unkind and are really out of the spirit of the DISboards...thanks to the moderators for dealing with all of this kerfuffle today...you deserve medals or at the least a :grouphug:

It's not that hard to set up a yahoo group or even a yuku board. Call it "Disney Swaps" or "Disney Swappers". If you (general you, not specific you) have half a brain in your head you can have it set up in less than 10 minutes. Would one of you (again, general you, not specific you) please just take a few minutes and do it and the rest of you go search for it. You can continue your swaps and complain about how unfair it is that you're not allowed to do that on the Dis anymore. Those of us who have always thought the swaps were a bit nuts can just go about our regular lives, you can all keep swapping. Win-Win :thumbsup2

Noone required anyone (of course a general anyone, not a specific anyone) to read this thread or post an irreverent reply. Anyone (again a general any one, not a specific anyone) with half a brain who thinks swaps are nuts and discussing them interferes with their regular lives would probably not invest the time to read and comment.

We were part of a double stroller swap in January. We drove down to WDW w/ our 4 kids and there's no way a double jogger could have fit into our van.

We paid $15 to swap a top of the line double jogger -- that was the best $15 I spent all week!!!!!

I think this decision sucks. Instead of getting all paranoid that swaps are breaking rules, why not CHANGE THE RULES? I see no reason why well-meaning people can't organize swaps to save each other a few bucks. I participated in the swap at my own risk, and I knew what I was getting into and what would happen if it didn't work out. (I'd lose $15 bucks. BIG FLIPPIN DEAL!)

Swap organizers are not selling anything. They are organizing a service in which others can choose whether or not to participate.

WE ARE GROWN-UPS, PEOPLE!!! We can make our own decisions about how to "risk" our money. And frankly, this puts a sour taste in my mouth about the budget board. This board is about how to maximize our time and dollars, especially as these topics pertain to our Disney trips. The swaps were a GREAT idea and should be continued. I'm extremely disappointed, and I DON'T understand, support, or otherwise agree with the decision, no matter what "it's breaking the rules" rhetoric you choose to flame me with.

:sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2:

Here, here!!!!!:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

:rotfl2:

Can I sign up? I will be traveling in Jan 2010!!! I hope my dates will be available.

Moving on...
so Speed -- let's get back to discussion about this mug swap --- Will it be washed regularly? If so, by whom? (I'll need photos first so I can see if the color clashes with my tshirts.)
A new mug style or old?
Can I get a picture of me in the pools without submerging if the water's chilly or I'm having a bad hair day or does that void the agreement?

Inquiring minds need to know...:idea:

If people are so concerned about the extra money to have to buy a cheap umbrella stroller or bring their own in these hard economic times, maybe you should be rethinking spending the money to go in the first place.

Harsh, very harsh....sad that you can't be more understanding of people who may not have as much money as you...why can't we be more tolerant instead of so angry?:confused3

I am disappointed but understand as well. I have led both the Photoshare joins I've participated in so I haven't had to deal with a scam or even the possibility of it, and I am sad for anyone who may have been scammed here in the name of saving a little money at Disney too!

This is not a debate, and the arguments and insults need to stop.

For as long as I've been on the DISboards, we've had a healthy DVC forum. That is the ONLY place on the DISboards that renting/selling/financial transactions are permitted.

The swaps here began as no-charge, pass-it-along arrangements. They grew into "let's go in together and buy this stroller/fridge/whatever." The dollar amounts at first were nominal and there were not a lot of participants, and it pretty much flew under our radar.

Recently, there have been a LOT more swaps, and a lot of money seems to be changing hands. The rules for the swaps look like business contracts, and some of the swaps go bad. The merchandise goes missing or is never delivered, participants disappear and the handoffs don't happen, or the amounts of money collected look suspiciously large.

There is a lot of opportunity for fraud, and there are enough problems and complaints that we can no longer ignore what's happening here. Rules on the DISboards have always prohibiting buying/selling or otherwise doing business on our forums (with the notable exception of our DVC Rent/Trade forums). These rules will be enforced.

This decision has nothing at all to do with Disney or any policies or communications from Disney.

Again, swaps are fine. Monetary transactions are not.

No more fighting, insulting or attacks on other posters here, please.

Thank you. This is what should have been stated from the beginning. It seemed likely that it was more than just sudden enforecement of a "no money changing hands" policy.

I want in on the mug swap!!! I wonder if luggage services will store them between swaps? We can put a ton of stickers on them to make them stand out!!! Or should we just hide them in the drawer maybe? We would have to request..no..DEMAND..that we have the same room as the previous DISer in order to get the mugs.

There has to be a way to make this work!

Harsh, very harsh....sad that you can't be more understanding of people who may not have as much money as you...why can't we be more tolerant instead of so angry?:confused3

I stand by what I said. Nobody is entitled to a vacation, let alone a Disney vacation. If the reason you are concerned about the swap not happening anymore is because financially it makes it difficult, then logically, yes, you should rethink spending the money on a pricey vacation.

I wish I would have known I had a lot of money :laughing:. We have not been to Disney for several years because we couldn't afford it. We "needed" it just as bad as anyone with everything we have been through but there was just no way. We can finally afford to go next year, bringing our own stroller and staying offsite. But we certainly would not be going if renting or buying a stroller would put a strain on our finances... I guess everyone has their own priorities.

For those complaining it's just a matter of convenience, well, I also stand by opinion that people need to move on. I can't imagine gate checking your own stroller is any more inconvenient then keeping track of the swap, picking it up from the hotel, making any necessary repairs, keeping it clean, packing it back up and bringing it back to the front desk (or wherever you take it). But again, just my opinion.

It's not often I've seen DIS'ers getting so nasty. Hmmm, maybe I take that back. Just try suggesting that you're going to have a 5 year old use a stroller at the parks.
Or pool hopping. Or refillable mugs. Or lying about your 3 year olds age.:rolleyes1

I am saddened by this decision. We were suppose to take a trip in January (which we canceled for various reasons) and I had joined a frig swap for $10. Yes I was out $10 since we did NOT go, but it would have been worth it not to have to worry with the ice chest for a week :thumbsup2

I also wish that DIS had given more notice than just a few days...clearly this has been discussed and debated, but those of us who planned to use these swaps in the near future had NO IDEA they were going to be banned:sad2:

I'm sure it's not going to do any good but I just wanted to voice my opinion that a swap board would be a wonderful thing.

As far as bashing parkers*momma, how many people bothered to read the thread before posting about her "business"? Each of the people who joined the swap knew before they joined what they were getting into and no rules have been broken to date. As far as the price of the strollers goes, they each come with several accessories that weren't factored into her "profits".

I will never understand why people think that just because something works for them it will work for everyone, or why because they make a certain decision everyone should make the same decision, whatever it may be. :confused3

Live and let live! :hippie:

Kind of wanted to give my .02, although I've been terrified of this thread because of all the insulting, so just to put it out there in advance.....not wanting to debate and sorry if I offend anyone, not meaning to.

I am really sad that these are going away. Personally, I have only participated in the photopass share, and haven't participated in the stroller or fridge swap. So I can't really have much of an opinion on those. But I will say that I think everyone has their reasons for wanting to do a swap for whatever it is, and whatever those reasons are, they have every right to have those reasons without feeling as though they have to justify themselves to others.

Whether you scrimp and save for a disney vacation or can take one every year easily, it's always nice to save some money when and where you can, and so of course people are going to be saddened that they can't save money in a particular area anymore.

Now, that being said, as for myself, I love the photopass pictures because it gives us a chance to have a professional picture of all of us (I like my camera but the CM's is much nicer!), but I really feel like it's not worth it to pay the 100 dollars for the CD. So the photopass share is a really great opportunity for me.

I am sure that those who run the Dis have their reasons, and since this is a free forum to us, I'm not going to be too mad at them. I do wish there was a way to make some compromise, but honestly, the moderators and everyone who works dilligently on this site has a lot going on already, I'm sure.

I am sad to see it go, though. Not mad, but sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter