Planing Trip w/Mom in Scooter

prgal0715

Disney Princess-in-Training
I'm putting together a trip to celebrate my parents' 45th wedding anniversary this coming December. My mom hasn't been to WDW in almost ten years, mostly due to the arthritis she's developed in her hips and knee. I convinced her to make the trip after assuring her that many, many people use scooters and using one herself will ensure an enjoyable vacation.

Now, here's my question: for those of you who have rented scooters, what company do you recommend? I'm hesitant to rent directly through Disney because they seem very expensive. I appreciate any and all advice you might have.

Thank you!

ECVs rented through WDW are only available on a day-by-day basis and cannot leave the parks. You are correct that it's better to rent from an off-site vendor. It will cost less, plus she'll have it to get to/from buses and around your resort (whether onsite or off).

The disABILITIES FAQ thread near the top of this forum has information about rentals, I think it is post #2. Some are "preferred" which simply means those are a few who met specific criteria (hours, insurance or something) and are allowed to utilize Bell Services at the resorts for pick-up and drop-off. However, many DISers still use some of the non-preferred vendors who also have topnotch service. There are some reviews in that thread as well.

Enjoy your vacation!

I've travelled as a companion to a senior w/ mobility issues and all three times the family rented from Apple scooter with good results.

I rented a wheelchair last year from Walker mobility and had excellent service.

I have rented from both Randy's and Apple and had no trouble with either. I don't know where you are staying but I like to stay on the Boardwalk or where I have access to the boat or monorail. I don't like taking a scooter on the bus.

Apple is a Disney approved provider and will have your scooter waiting for you at Bell Services and you can leave it there when you go home. Randy's isn't so you have to meet them to get your scooter and give it back. But both were good. Renting off site is so much cheaper too. If you have a car, ask for one that fits in your size car.

If she hasn't driven a scooter before I would suggest going to a big department store and driving one as much as she can to get used to it. Hope you all have a good time. I don't know how I would make it for a week without one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter