Pictures of things No Longer Seen at WDW

OK. I'm cheating here. But back when the MK was the only park, you had to look outside the property to find other things to do.....like....

tumblr_l3iu0nfB3F1qaivw8.jpg

Xanadu: Home of the Future!

Hahahaha - saw one of these in gatlinburg tn a million years ago! Didn't know there was one near Disney - funny!

Hahahaha - saw one of these in gatlinburg tn a million years ago! Didn't know there was one near Disney - funny!
Yup gatlinburg, main strip. Never went in it though. When you have Ripley's and Guiness on the next block a house tour didn't seem like much fun. lol

We had a great time!
That's all that matters, right?

Disney got quite a few complaints that the Big Red Boat experience was far, far from what people had come to expect from anything with Disney's name on it. The quality just wasn't there. So with the true Disney spirit, they decided that if they were going to have their name on something, they had better control the content and the quality. Hence, the birth of DCL at a cost of billions. The "low budget" comment wasn't meant to imply "inexpensive" so much as it was "done on the cheap". Disney's synergy with the Big Red Boat was about as cheesy as Warner Brothers or Hanna Barbera's characters roaming around your local amusement park.

I would literally have to scan the photos in, but in summer of 93 or maybe 94 they had an election (going along with Bush vs Clinton... Funny we may see that again!) going on between Captain Hook or Winnie the Pooh

I'll have to find my parents pics from then and post them. Share any you guys have!

I went through my photos from the last decade or so and found some things that are gone or have changed.

Kim Possible in Epcot is gone, but was replaced with a similar game based on Agent P.
DSC_0134_zpskiwjxvzs.jpg

Spoodles is long gone...it was replaced by Kouzzina, which is also gone!
DSC00069_zps8gvz5wji.jpg

Two-thirds of this sign has changed. The Bistro de Paris is now Monsieur Paul and the Boulangerie Patisserie is now Les Halles.
DSC_0383_zps4meiyzfn.jpg

I know it's already been mentioned, but Toontown is gone.
DSC_0155_zpsjmv8r2fh.jpg

Over in DTD there used to be a store for pets: Disney Tails.
DSC_0164_zps0xd1f9s0.jpg

Push and his Animal Kingdom equivalent are no longer greeting guests in Tomorrowland or Conservation Station.
DSC_0031_zpsnvfhbel7.jpg

DSC_0495_zpsfqp7lxrn.jpg

Over in Animal Kingdom, Camp Minnie and Mickey is no longer accessible to guests.
DSC_0113_zpsvjwehzx9.jpg

DSC_0118_zpsncvysgwh.jpg

In honor of Epcot's 25th Anniversary, they had a retrospective exhibit featuring items from the original attractions. There was a Figment maquette, a miniature Dream Machine, and the butler from Horizons.
DSC_0154_zpsfeu6et3m.jpg

DSC_0149_zpsd4szpjzb.jpg

DSC_0236_zpskr1nnkju.jpg

Figment is no longer meeting guests at "his place" up by the leap frog fountains.
DSC_0101_zpsbwa9l9ls.jpg

DSC_0091_zps4g0cj2y8.jpg

DSCN1224_zpst50xwwae.jpg

That's all that matters, right?

Disney got quite a few complaints that the Big Red Boat experience was far, far from what people had come to expect from anything with Disney's name on it. The quality just wasn't there. So with the true Disney spirit, they decided that if they were going to have their name on something, they had better control the content and the quality. Hence, the birth of DCL at a cost of billions. The "low budget" comment wasn't meant to imply "inexpensive" so much as it was "done on the cheap". Disney's synergy with the Big Red Boat was about as cheesy as Warner Brothers or Hanna Barbera's characters roaming around your local amusement park.

That is interesting they did it so badly at first. I'd love to go on a Disney cruise now. I do not remember having characters on the boats like they do now. And, I don't remember the pool being that great. I do remember that the entertainment was good.

Last edited:
image.jpg Animatronic walking dinosaur at AK. We only saw it once. image.jpg Robot Race at Innoventions- we really miss this. image.jpg Rolie Polie Ollie and Jo Jo image.jpg Mighty Morphin Power Rangers- my DD stood out in the 100 degree heat in the costume. She refused to take it off!

I went through my photos from the last decade or so and found some things that are gone or have changed.

In honor of Epcot's 25th Anniversary, they had a retrospective exhibit featuring items from the original attractions. There was a Figment maquette, a miniature Dream Machine, and the butler from Horizons.
DSC_0154_zpsfeu6et3m.jpg

DSC_0149_zpsd4szpjzb.jpg

DSC_0236_zpskr1nnkju.jpg

Figment is no longer meeting guests at "his place" up by the leap frog fountains.
DSC_0101_zpsbwa9l9ls.jpg

DSC_0091_zps4g0cj2y8.jpg

DSCN1224_zpst50xwwae.jpg

My 4 year old loved Figment last year. He can't wait to ride it again.

What ride was the dream machine on?

Couldn't find a photo of this but the veggie chili in Columbia Harbour House used to be served in a crusty bread bowl. It rocked!

That is interesting they did it so badly at first.
It wasn't that they did it "badly". It really had more to do with the fact that the Oceanic (which became the flagship of the Big Red Boat fleet) was built in 1965 and that other cruise lines at the time were trotting out new ships with the latest features seemingly one every other month. (By way of example, Royal Caribbean introduced 6 "Vision Class" ships between 1995 and 1998.) Disney, understandably, wanted "state of the art" once it decided that the cruise business was viable. The fact that the Oceanic was taken out of service in 2000, (just two years after the Magic debuted) speaks to just how ready she was for retirement when she was operating as the Big Red Boat. Oceanic was repositioned and repurposed after that. But it could never attract U.S. based customers given how many new cruise ships were coming on line then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter