• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Phrases you hate

Am I the only one that started singing the song from "Les Mis" when I saw this?

No! I did too lol. :cool1:

Wow, just wow

This one bugs me too. And it is usually followed by a long rant so why say "just wow." That gets my hope up that they will have nothing to say but at least it will be brief, and then they go and dash my hopes anyway. It is also annoying and ridiculous. I think this one bugs me more than I realized.

"Taking it to the next level". I guess it's because I don't really understand it. I mean, what's this "level" stuff?

And on the subject of levels, that reminds me of the other one I hate "That is wrong on so many levels" Instead of repeating meaningless phrases how about elaborating on what they feel is wrong instead of leaving me to try and imagine all the great depths and bredths that they are referring to. Ugh - Just say what you mean instead of stupid clichés.

for all intensive purposes.... its all intents and purposes!!

This one actually strikes me as hilarious and I can barely keep from laughing in the face of anyone who says it. :rotfl2:

Spin-Off Thread: Should You Correct Someone Who's Misuse of Words Makes Them Sound Like a Goof?

"Think outside the box" - I LIKE the box....it's comfortable....familiar...almost cozy.:hug:

Ginormous - Why doesn't anyone ever say Egantic?:confused3

"Think outside the box" - I LIKE the box....it's comfortable....familiar...almost cozy.:hug:

Ginormous - Why doesn't anyone ever say Egantic?:confused3

I do too, in fact "think inside the box" is actually a line in our company manual! And as for Egantic? LOVE IT!! Off to try and wok it into a sentence now...:thumbsup2

That being said

All in all

the word "like"

My fave:

With all due respect - because what ever follows will not be due nor respectful.

This is a great thread! I have some to add that are repeats, I'm sure:

"Okaaaaay?" -when you are telling something to someone and they clearly don't understand what you saying.

I seen

Not for nothin' but...

I'm not a _______ist but...

I ain't gots none

Youse guys

Supposebly

And, although not a phrase, anytime I see this, 23$ instead of $23. Drives me crazy!

".....speaks volumes..." Nothing wrong with, I'm just tired of seeing it on every DIS marriage thread.

Yummy. I know, again, nothing wrong with it and I've caught myself using it sometimes too. I try to stop. Nothing worse than listening and reading grown women calling everything yummy.

..........."that decision was made at a higher pay grade"...............

"For the fact that...."

My ex husband said this so much it was like nails on a chalk board. :rolleyes1 He had no facts! Unfortunately, I was married to him so long, I sometimes make no sense either. Go figure.

Not a phrase, but using the word "they" as a non-gender specific third person singular pronoun. There needs to be a new word for it. "They" is plural. :headache:

Something sort of related, are the "clever quotes" that people put in their sigs on e-mails.

YOU may find them cute or inspirational, but often I think they are just annoying.

It's silly, but I really don't like it when signs say "Bridges Freeze Before Road" when there is only one bridge...and then somewhere else a sign says "Bridge Freezes Before Road" when there is more than one bridge.:headache:

This one actually strikes me as hilarious and I can barely keep from laughing in the face of anyone who says it. :rotfl2:

Spin-Off Thread: Should You Correct Someone Who's Misuse of Words Makes Them Sound Like a Goof?

Nope, I would never correct someone whom I suspect intentionally misused a word. ;)

It's silly, but I really don't like it when signs say "Bridges Freeze Before Road" when there is only one bridge...and then somewhere else a sign says "Bridge Freezes Before Road" when there is more than one bridge.:headache:

I don't know why, but this one strikes me as hilarious. I love it. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter