• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

People smoking in line

maxiesmom said:
I agree that this part could have been left out. What does the fact that he was overweight have to do with anything? And don't say it was for descriptive purposes. You didn't say if he was black, white, asian, bald, had hair growing out of his nose. Being overweight and inconsiderate do not go hand in hand.

My apologies. I was wrong for saying that. I was once overweight myself.

I too have been assaulted by smoke while at Disneyworld. It's very frustrating and those of us who have conditions such as asthma or are pregnant or have children or just generally want to protect their health have to readjust where we stand or sit b/c of others inconsiderate and deadly habit.

A lot of the CM's don't want to confront anyone and risk an unhappy customer. My college roommate worked at DW every summer and she said that confronting a smoker was always a catch 22...if they did nothing then they weren't following the "direct all smokers to the designated areas" rule and could get into trouble for it. If they did confront the smoker and the person complained about being confronted (at which time they would usually throw in that they were "rudely confronted" even if they weren't) the CM who did the confronting would get hauled in and questioned and made to feel that they had confronted the person in a "less than appropriate manner". It was a huge hassle and a lot of the CM's would rather be on bathroom cleaning duty near the throw up rides than confront someone smoking. A lot of them ignore it unless someone complains.

and just so you know, these threads ALWAYS turn into something other than what they were originally about. Already people are trying to turn it into a "the OP hates overweight people" post as opposed to a "People who smoke in line and other areas not designated for smoking are inconsiderate jerks" post as it was originally intended! :rolleyes:

I agree with OP the smoking at the parks can be a bit out of control!

I will speak up - My kids will speak up. There is so much evidence of the dangers of second hand smoke - YES EVEN OUTDOORS- My daughter has fought hard to have smoke free areas at outdoor family events here in our small town. We are not thrilled with confronting strangers but we will do it

MissyPrissy said:
and just so you know, these threads ALWAYS turn into something other than what they were originally about. Already people are trying to turn it into a "the OP hates overweight people" post as opposed to a "People who smoke in line and other areas not designated for smoking are inconsiderate jerks" post as it was originally intended! :rolleyes:
I agree with OP the smoking at the parks can be a bit out of control!

Indeed and I really mean to say is that I wish WDW was more smoke free, meaning people smoking where they shouldn't be. To all the smokers who obey the rules, we thank you. The worst types of offenses are when someone smokes in line. Again, that's very inconsiderate.

yellownovawife said:
I will speak up - My kids will speak up. There is so much evidence of the dangers of second hand smoke - YES EVEN OUTDOORS- My daughter has fought hard to have smoke free areas at outdoor family events here in our small town. We are not thrilled with confronting strangers but we will do it

Good for you and your daughter!

I was really sad to find this thread. I am a smoker. I hate it but it's true. But, I smoke, not those around me. If you have a cold or the flu, please don't sneeze on me. If I smoke, I certainly won't insist that you do simply by proximity.

Thanks for bringing this issue up and for confronting the smokers (and the litterers). My sister is a severe asthmatic who is, according to her pulmonologist, fatally allergic to cigarette/cigar/pipe smoke. WDW is one place where she usually doesn't have a problem, but I guess there are inconsiderate people everywhere.
Also, thanks to you considerate smokers here. I, for one, really, really appreciate it!

mouseketeer_mom said:
I was really sad to find this thread. I am a smoker. I hate it but it's true. But, I smoke, not those around me. If you have a cold or the flu, please don't sneeze on me. If I smoke, I certainly won't insist that you do simply by proximity.

I agree, that's only fair. BTW, while we're on the topic, my thoughts on sneezing and caughing is that people should sneeze/cough into their sleeve, not their hand. Doing so on the hand just helps spread germs more.

I'm a smoker and use the designated areas(some of which are quite nice, especially in AK). I've seen those that smoke where they want, but that has nothing to do with being a smoker. This is a case of where people have no common sense and think of themselves only. Banning smoking will not get rid of the problem. You will still have people who smoke, cut lines, throw garbage, and pretty much do what they want.

alite said:
I'm a smoker and use the designated areas(some of which are quite nice, especially in AK). I've seen those that smoke where they want, but that has nothing to do with being a smoker. This is a case of where people have no common sense and think of themselves only. Banning smoking will not get rid of the problem. You will still have people who smoke, cut lines, throw garbage, and pretty much do what they want.

Good point. Just venting about the people who didn't have common sense. I just couldn't believe my eyes.

I am not a smoker, but on behalf of smokers everywhere I have to say that in my experience there are just as many inconsiderate jerks among non-smokers as there are among smokers, such as foul talkers, litter bugs,
line cutters, snot slingers, those who don't flush toilets, those who let their
kids run wild, those who think rules do not apply to them, those who like to judge others without knowing anything about them, etc. etc.

I have found that most smokers ARE considerate of others. They weren't very visible, though, because they were IN the smoking areas. Only the ones who are not get noticed.

Saw a CM enforcing the no-smoking policy outside of Exp Everest this weekend. She was good, the smoker questioned it, she told him policy was printed on all the maps, tix, etc. Nice to see, boy they have a tough job dealing with John Q. Public every day.

alfredromero1975 said:
Congrats! And I completely agree with you. Have a great trip! BTW, it was 84 degrees today :)

I quit smoking 5 years ago and I completely agree with you! I watched once as a lady let her dog poop on the walking path by my house and then attempted to walk away. We have strict doggy poo laws in Calgary and I handed her a poop bag and said "here is a bag for your waste since you dont have one" she was so mad but she picked it up. This is a walkway used a lot by moms with strollers and young children...yucky! eh!

My DH and I are both smokers and we are always commenting on how nice it is that WDW (A) offers plenty of designated smoking areas and (B) makes them as pleasant as possible..meaning usually in a nice, shaded area, seating and ashtrays, etc. We LOVE the break!!! IMHO, I think that it is brilliant strategy on their part because I'm sure there would be ALOT more smokers lighting up outside these areas if they were located far out of the way or in a rotten environment, too few,etc.

Nonetheless, we would never dream of lighting up anywhere but in a smoking area!!! I don't even like to walk around 'outside' the parks and smoke (heading to bus area, etc.) as I am very aware of how unpleasant it is forthe majority of people!!

The biggest problem is those darn smoking areas change! I once sat down in what had been a regular bench in Epcot and someone next to me lit up a cigarette. I made a comment to him and he pointed out that the area was smoking and if I didn't like it I could leave. It was only then I saw the ash trays. I had to eat crow and apologize! Then, he and the other people there made fun of me and said a lot of rude comments. From now on I make double-dog sure that it's not a smoking area before I say anything to someone with a lit cigarette!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter