Parents that Drive

vballnic3

Earning My Ears
We are leaving in about a month and want all your advice on driving with little ones. What did they like doing, favorite apps, favorite treats...

We are driving straight through from MN about 22 hours. (thought about stopping but kids stink in hotels the first night and we wouldn't get any sleep so why pay that much for less sleep then we'd get in the car.

4 year old boy and 1.5 year old girl

Thanks

We drive a lot. Our son is almost 3 years. He is very good in the car, and gives us very little difficulty, but we travel for work and so he's grown up being in the car. Mostly we just give him some books and occasionally the iPad, but we limit his exposure to this. Listening to music or audio books entertains him as well.

We stop frequently and let him play for 10 minutes at each rest stop we stop at either for bathroom or meals. We try to pick places like Chick-Fil-A that have play places for him to work off some energy.

As far as snacks, we always have pretzels, raisins, apple sauce pouches, peanuts, and chips. They're great for the car, and our son likes them.

We just drove from MN in December! 24 hours exactly. This is our 3rd drive down as a family. My kids are 2, 4, 6, and 8.

We did NOT stop often. We tried to get as far as we could between stops, and my kids were rock stars. We usually made it 4 hours at a time without stopping. A couple of times we stopped sooner because of bathroom issues but that was rare. And our stops were quick... we weren't playing at play areas. We were out, getting gas, taking bathroom breaks, running around for a couple minutes, and then right back in the car. When you have such a long drive, you really just can't stop as much or it'll take forever.

I had TONS of food. We don't like to eat at fast food places, because it slows us down, because it costs more, and because the greasy food isn't so great when you're in the car for that long. So we brought a cooler, and we put together a bunch of rolls with ham and cheese, homemade uncrustables (https://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Sandw...05&sr=8-2&keywords=uncrustable+sandwich+maker), breakfast crackers and pop tarts, granola bars, fruit snacks, bananas, grapes (sliced in half for the younger kids because I worried about choking in the car!), and we made cookies to bring.

I stocked up on inexpensive DVDs during the months leading up to our trip. Then I wrapped them, and let the kids take turns unwrapping the movies throughout the ride. They liked that. I also wrapped a couple small Disney stuffed animals for them to open. We did bring some activities but to be honest, the kids didn't do much except watch TV. Even the 2 year old was fine with that. Try to find TV shows rather than movies, as a 1.5 might prefer something like that. I brought Mickey Mouse Clubhouse seasons on DVD for him and my 4 year old, but had movies for the big kids. We took turns picking.

The 4 year old struggled the most with the trip I would say. He just couldn't wrap his head around how long of a drive it was, and there was a point during the trip that he was literally asking every 10 minutes if we were there yet. We were in like Wisconsin at that point, lol. It didn't make sense to him that we were going to sleep in the car. The way home was much better for him because I think he understood better at that point. But overall, I was shocked at how amazing the kids did.

We just drove from MN in December! 24 hours exactly. This is our 3rd drive down as a family. My kids are 2, 4, 6, and 8.

We did NOT stop often. We tried to get as far as we could between stops, and my kids were rock stars. We usually made it 4 hours at a time without stopping. A couple of times we stopped sooner because of bathroom issues but that was rare. And our stops were quick... we weren't playing at play areas. We were out, getting gas, taking bathroom breaks, running around for a couple minutes, and then right back in the car. When you have such a long drive, you really just can't stop as much or it'll take forever.

I had TONS of food. We don't like to eat at fast food places, because it slows us down, because it costs more, and because the greasy food isn't so great when you're in the car for that long. So we brought a cooler, and we put together a bunch of rolls with ham and cheese, homemade uncrustables (https://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Sandw...05&sr=8-2&keywords=uncrustable+sandwich+maker), breakfast crackers and pop tarts, granola bars, fruit snacks, bananas, grapes (sliced in half for the younger kids because I worried about choking in the car!), and we made cookies to bring.

I stocked up on inexpensive DVDs during the months leading up to our trip. Then I wrapped them, and let the kids take turns unwrapping the movies throughout the ride. They liked that. I also wrapped a couple small Disney stuffed animals for them to open. We did bring some activities but to be honest, the kids didn't do much except watch TV. Even the 2 year old was fine with that. Try to find TV shows rather than movies, as a 1.5 might prefer something like that. I brought Mickey Mouse Clubhouse seasons on DVD for him and my 4 year old, but had movies for the big kids. We took turns picking.

The 4 year old struggled the most with the trip I would say. He just couldn't wrap his head around how long of a drive it was, and there was a point during the trip that he was literally asking every 10 minutes if we were there yet. We were in like Wisconsin at that point, lol. It didn't make sense to him that we were going to sleep in the car. The way home was much better for him because I think he understood better at that point. But overall, I was shocked at how amazing the kids did.

Those are great tips!! We had plan to stop to run around but maybe it is unnecessary which would be amazing!! My almost 2 year is a crazy butt but hopefully she will sleep alot :) Have you every done a count down chart for counting down miles until you get there. We might try that with our 4 year old.

We have driven twice from Houston to Disney World. We did lots of movies, and games on the phone. The snacks that come in the little cups (like cookies or crackers from Target) are great because they fit in cup holders and can be refilled and closed with the lid. We also try to stop at a lunch place with a play ground, usually Chick Fil A. They the kids play while we eat. We give them their lunch once we are back in the car. Overall, my kids do much better on all day trips than on the shorter 3-5 hour trips. Something about telling them that we are going to be in the car all day keeps them from getting antsy.

When our kids were as young as yours we'd leave in the evening, around 5pm or so and drive through the night. We'd put them in their jammies and they'd fall asleep by around 7pm and sleep mostly until morning. It was so nice.

Now that our kids are a bit older they watch videos on the dvd player and eat and eat and eat. Seriously food keeps them entertained for some reason.

We would try to keep as much as a normal schedule as possible, meals and snacks at the same time as when we are at home. Also when we would stop I would let the girls run around like crazy kids for 10-15 mins! Totally worth the time spent, as an adult it is hard enough sitting in the car. It might sound weird but we do limit the amount to drink on drives as it saves on potty breaks. Also a lot of times "potty break" means get out of the carseat and play break! I would even sit in the back seat with them for some fun times. At least my girls thought it was funny that mommy was in the back seat!

When our kids were as young as yours we'd leave in the evening, around 5pm or so and drive through the night. We'd put them in their jammies and they'd fall asleep by around 7pm and sleep mostly until morning. It was so nice.

Now that our kids are a bit older they watch videos on the dvd player and eat and eat and eat. Seriously food keeps them entertained for some reason.

Yes we are planning on leaving late afternoon. I was thinking of changing at a stop right around bedtime hopefully that will trigger it is time to sleep.

When we lived in Montana, our son was little from 0-3, almost 4. Since the closest Target and Taco Bell were about 160 miles away, he started road trips at a very young age. It was about 2.5 to 3 hours there and the same amount to get back home again. He and I'd get up on Saturday morning, make the drive there and be back home before dark. Dad would stay home. Those trips helped when we moved only 14 hours from WDW and he was already a great car rider.

We're from NY, but recently moved to FL. We did the drive quite a few times if we didn't fly. After every trip, I swore we would never do it again, lol. We drove straight through last summer when we were coming down searching for an area to move to....but for disney trips, we always stopped overnight. Driving straight through was hell. We would drive about 15 or so hours, and then only have about 4 hours the following day....so we'd get to our resort around lunch. We brought plenty of books, small travel games, DVDs, their tablets, workbooks. We'd also play ispy games, etc. Just take plenty of breaks, snacks, and drinks and expect meltdowns. My kids have done the trip so many times that they're pretty good travelers. :)

I will never recommend driving thru the night without stopping. We were almost in a crash when my brother in law fell asleep at the wheel. I was sleeping in the back seat and woke up to my sister screaming.

Sleeping in the car is no where near as restful as sleeping at a hotel. Maybe find someplace to stop that has a nice swimming pool or play area. Make the stop part of the fun, get the kids good and tired, and then get a good rest.

We had planned to drive through the night on our first trip with our kids....until another group from Texas was killed in a car accident doing that exact thing, on their way to WDW. This was a month or two before our trip. It shook us up enough to decide to never, ever do that.

Thanks for your input. We have driven through the night before just not with the children. We are just under a month out!!

I will never recommend driving thru the night without stopping. We were almost in a crash when my brother in law fell asleep at the wheel. I was sleeping in the back seat and woke up to my sister screaming.

Sleeping in the car is no where near as restful as sleeping at a hotel. Maybe find someplace to stop that has a nice swimming pool or play area. Make the stop part of the fun, get the kids good and tired, and then get a good rest.

Yep. Agree. Driving while tired is so, so dangerous. There is no way we would even attempt to drive through the night (especially with our precious cargo in the back!). We will make the drive over 2 days, stopping for meals around the same time we would at home.

Gonna 3rd the "don't drive all the way through advice", but not for fatigue reasons...but for your kids. There is NO WAY in God's green Earth that they will be able to sit and not move for 22 hours in a row, with just stops for gas/food. After 9-10 hours strapped in, they will start to go insane and need to be OUT! Yes, the hotel night might be crazy, and yes, it might take them awhile to wind down...but getting in 2 hours of exercise/play and then getting them lying down on a bed, even for 5-6 hours, will be a godsend for them and for you. A single hotel stay can probably be gotten for $100/night with breakfast included and it will make everything go smoother. Book it for the 14-15 hour mark of the trip, so you can get in for check in time the next day and be functional to have a fun evening then, too...

I mean, a 4 year old boy...I've had them - they just can't be still that long...

I'd leave at 6am...stop at 8pm...swim/run around/explore the hotel/get crazies out...sleep at 11pm...and then be up the next day at 7am for breakfast/check out...on the road at 8am and at the hotel by 4pm...

Last edited:
We have done the drive from Houston to Orlando twice. Both times we started out at 4 AM and then opted to stay at a hotel with an indoor pool. My husband does the lion share of the driving. When we arrived at the hotel, my mom and I take the kids to the pool while my husband relaxes. Then we ordered dinner from the attached Outback Steak house. It works well for us.

Than you everyone for your opinions. We will stop if we feel it is necessary. What are you favorite Android and Apple apps for your younger children.

Than you everyone for your opinions. We will stop if we feel it is necessary. What are you favorite Android and Apple apps for your younger children.

Toca Boca apps are good ones for those ages. We also like Peek a boo barn for the 1.5 year old. Curious George's zoo was another one that was good.

I've made the drive once, stopped overnight on the way and split the drive exactly in half. Drove straight through the way back and it was horrible. Carsick kids, kids whining to stop every 2 minutes. Last summer we made a similar distance drive to another vacation spot and tried to drive straight through on the way home but gave up after 10 hours. This summer I've built an afternoon/night at Pensacola Beach for the drive up, and nothing too exciting for the drive home, but definitely a stop. My kids play on their tablets or listen to an audio book. When they were really small I packed them little crafts and pipe cleaners but the fights and messes have made me give up on it now that they're 5 and 7. I do pack a cookie sheet each. That holds their breakfast and lunch. I agree about finding restaurants with play places, or find a rest stop and eat sandwiches. Anything to let the kids play.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter