Parents - PLEASE be reasonable!

Personally I think that a little argument is healthy for relationships, forums, and debate team. However, I think that this thread strays from the theme of this board which in my opinion is a collective love for Disney. I think where this thread went wrong was the stereotyping. Lets try not to do that people.

I think it just boils down to your childrens individual tolerance to your type of trip planning. If you are a commando type, and your kids cannot handle this, than you need to give in and think of their needs first, afterall, aren't your childrens wants more important than your own? When we went with DD's 7 and 5 (DD 5 is has ADHD) we took this all into account, and the end result was an incredible trip, with no tantrums! We saw so much, but, there were things that we missed, because we didn't want them to be up so late for example, epcot fireworks. But, in the end it was worth it, they were well rested, happy, tantrum free, and having the time of their lives!

Ok my DH and I just got back from DL with our two DD 3 and 10. I thought it was a little much for my 3 year old. We had been planning for a few months and thought it would be ok. Some of the rides scared her (Mr.Toads and It is tough to be a bug). The fireworks were scary for her too! She had fun but got tired Friday because the park had later hours and we stayed so we would not miss a Disney moment. I think age 5 is the best age to start taking your child. :earsgirl:

Well, this thread has gotten crazy!

We just got back from 8 days at WDW with a 7 year old and a 5 year old, and they did pretty well. We only took nap breaks on the first 2 days, I think because we were tired from traveling, but we were OK after that. We took long breaks for lunches and occasionally just sat on a bench for a few minutes to regroup. I noticed the little guy would start to whine before meals and would perk up significantly after his lunch hit his stomach. We slept in later than I would have on my own, but crowds were not too bad so it was not imperative to be at the parks at opening, and the weather was bearable, which made a difference, I think. Our only meltdown was when the 7 year old demanded to go to the pool when the rest of us wanted to go to bed. She was exhausted and had been asking patiently for 3 days, so I decided to give her a break. She got 10 minutes in the pool and went to bed happy afterward. The little one demanded to go on Spaceship Earth but agreed that we would go later when we looked at the long line and explained we would go later when the line died down.

As for the rest of this thread, I think as usual, it's hard to judge others when you don't know the whole story. Everyone has bad days - kids and parents, and sometimes both. One episode you witness at WDW or the mall may not be indicative of how their days usually go. Little kids sometimes can't tell you what sets them off. Sometimes adults can't tell you what sets them off. Just about anything can be the straw the broke the camel's back when you are tired or hungry or hot or all of the above. Every parent and child are different and the way they interact is unique, and may change as the kids grow. This requires constant adjustments on both ends. Add several kids with different temperaments and it only adds to the challenge. I've seen kids sit quietly at the table at restaurants, but mine never did. Some kids just have easy going temperaments, I guess. I certainly don't get up and run around the table and talk loudly and cry and whine at meal times, but my kids have done it. They didn't learn it from me. They were just over stimulated by the environment. It happens. I'm confident that they will grow up to be adults who sit quietly at mealtimes.

I haven't read all the posts, but wanted to add that the food we give these little munchkins definitely affects their mood. We have gone many times over the past couple years with small children (3 under the age of 5 at one point).

I think if you take it slower, but make sure they have a healthy snack every "little while" (for my kids it was almost hourly) and drink lots of fluids, they can last a little longer. A little protein...like a cheese stick or some fruit, can go a long way to keeping them happier longer. It's not fun when everyone is run ragged, but you have spent a lot of money and want to see things.

I truly believe everyone does the best they can.

HeatherC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter