Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

We did get Saturday which is what we were hoping for. How about you?

Friday's not as bad as I thought. Science Olympiad is Saturday, as is Senior Hockey night night. He is playing in the musical Friday night but has nothing else all day (besides classes which he'll have to miss)

My daughter has Science Olympiads on Saturday too. She had off from school most of this week but they still went in to get ready for the competition on Saturday.
One of the colleges my daughter got accepted to sent new aid package today- I request a increase in aid due to the fact that I don't make as much as my 2015 taxes so that I do- so they gave 8,000 more in aid which actually makes it a bit more manageable- down to 14,000 for the year. So unfortunately this is her bottom choice but hopefully others will come in around there by the time we are done.
DS had exams all week but did the same-worked on his SO project all week. That's great about the $8.00 more aid!

Friday's not as bad as I thought. Science Olympiad is Saturday, as is Senior Hockey night night. He is playing in the musical Friday night but has nothing else all day (besides classes which he'll have to miss)

I got nervous when you mentioned Science Olympiad, so I checked the dates. Regionals here are Feb 11th. And swim sectional finals are Feb 18th. So, nothing big conflicts. I can't believe that happened.

I got nervous when you mentioned Science Olympiad, so I checked the dates. Regionals here are Feb 11th. And swim sectional finals are Feb 18th. So, nothing big conflicts. I can't believe that happened.
I've never heard of the Science Olympiad. Apparently only one high school in our district goes and it's the HS that has many children of the staff/professors of the University of Wisconsin. Go figure.

I keep thinking about this and have a question, How are students taking out loans in that high amount?

My DD's financial aid package includes about $5000 in unsubsidized loans and then the remainder is offered in Parent Plus loans. How is a college student borrowing 40K a year?

They can't. The most a student can take in Stafford for Subsidized or Unsubsidized in total is $27,000 for 4 years. There are Perkins loans, but everything else is PLUS loans, or private loans where you can guarantee parents who "would never take out a loan" are cosigning.

One of the colleges my daughter got accepted to sent new aid package today- I request a increase in aid due to the fact that I don't make as much as my 2015 taxes so that I do- so they gave 8,000 more in aid which actually makes it a bit more manageable- down to 14,000 for the year. So unfortunately this is her bottom choice but hopefully others will come in around there by the time we are done.
DD went back to Hofstra and asked for a consideration based on the large drop in our income from 2015 to 2016 - per their request we are working on the letter to them and plan to send it off this weekend.

They can't. The most a student can take in Stafford for Subsidized or Unsubsidized in total is $27,000 for 4 years. There are Perkins loans, but everything else is PLUS loans, or private loans where you can guarantee parents who "would never take out a loan" are cosigning.
I am not sure we would even co-sign. When DS went to Grad school in 2013 we weren't "suitable" co-signors mainly due to hubby being laid off and unable to find/secure stable employment. Son went to his grandparents who agreed to help since he had finished his undergrad and they felt his Physical Therapy school was a good risk. He is 6 months away from having them released from the loans.

DD interrupted my shower this morning - She got into Minnesota School of Science and Engineering - other than Berkeley (huge reach) this was her dream school! I am so excited for her. I am hoping they offer up some decent merit aide to help. I am off to put down a housing deposit (just in case) and look at airfare, we have never been to Minneapolis

DD went back to Hofstra and asked for a consideration based on the large drop in our income from 2015 to 2016 - per their request we are working on the letter to them and plan to send it off this weekend.

I am not sure we would even co-sign. When DS went to Grad school in 2013 we weren't "suitable" co-signors mainly due to hubby being laid off and unable to find/secure stable employment. Son went to his grandparents who agreed to help since he had finished his undergrad and they felt his Physical Therapy school was a good risk. He is 6 months away from having them released from the loans.

DD interrupted my shower this morning - She got into Minnesota School of Science and Engineering - other than Berkeley (huge reach) this was her dream school! I am so excited for her. I am hoping they offer up some decent merit aide to help. I am off to put down a housing deposit (just in case) and look at airfare, we have never been to Minneapolis

Grad school loans are different.

YAY!!! Great news! I know that was one of the schools she was really interested in attending :). Congratulations!

Congrats!!!!!!!

Well crap. My DD was waitlisted at Minnesota too :(.

Robin, tell your daughter to contact the school and let them know just how interested she is in attending. Both College Board and Money Magazine talk about how to increase your odds of getting off the waitlist:

College Board

Money

Have her send a letter with any updates from her original application stressing how much she would love to go there. Have several additional teachers/coaches/supervisors/religious leaders send in a recommendation. Has she visited? Interviewed?

I wish her luck.

DS got Friday which is a packed day for him-Science Olympiad, hockey Senior night, physical therapy and now this. Too much all at once!

How did he do at Science Olympiads? My daughter was happy their team moved on to States. She got 2 medals, one in Forensics and one in Microbe Mission. She missed medaling in her other category Disease Detectives by ONE!

Is anyone familiar with the area surrounding Illinois Institute of Technology? My DS got in there, with a good scholarship. We are, however a little concerned with the amount of violence that seems to be rampant in Chicago. He went to the barber the other day and the barber mentioned to him that it might not be a great choice because of the area. We haven't visited yet.

Robin, tell your daughter to contact the school and let them know just how interested she is in attending. Both College Board and Money Magazine talk about how to increase your odds of getting off the waitlist:

College Board

Money

Have her send a letter with any updates from her original application stressing how much she would love to go there. Have several additional teachers/coaches/supervisors/religious leaders send in a recommendation. Has she visited? Interviewed?

I wish her luck.
These really are good suggestions.

How did he do at Science Olympiads? My daughter was happy their team moved on to States. She got 2 medals, one in Forensics and one in Microbe Mission. She missed medaling in her other category Disease Detectives by ONE!

For ds, Science Olympiad is this coming Saturday. He has built his robot and now needs to code it. I need to get through this week. He has so much going on my head is spinning. Playing in the pit for the musical, science olympiad, interview for UB's presidential scholarship, tons of homework. After this week I (and I'm sure he) will breathe a huge sigh of relief.

That's great that your dd moved on to States. Where are states being held-what state are you in? We are in NY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter