Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

I'm right there with you OP. My first daughter only applied to 4 schools in state and loved the one she is at. Easy peasy. This next child is sooooo dragging her feet and of course I know nothing and she knows everything!! She applied and was accepted at FSU, Temple and Rutgers. Decided a few days ago to apply to Syracuse?? We haven't received any papers with monetary info in the mail yet. Temple sent her email paperwork today and if you click on it it comes up an Error:( she decided about a month and a half ago to take the ACTs with no warning and did fairly decent. Now wants to take them again in Feb. Now it looks like it will be awhile before we know any concrete merit information. My other daughter had her acceptance papers with merit scholarship info by Xmas of her senior year.

Mamacatnv, would she consider deferring her acceptances and taking a gap year to help her figure out what she wants?
I've not proposed it. She is already almost a year ahead age wise of most freshman as she was a late b-day and began her Sr. year at 18. Something to think about - I have not thought of this, I will have to noodle for a bit.

I think deep down, she is scared to death to leave high school and somewhere in that still developing mass of jello between her ears she is thinking that she can somehow delay the inevitable.
I actually asked her last night if she really wanted to go to college because the vibe I am getting is there is no enthusiasm whatsoever. She said yes she does but she is so confused about where and what to study and IMO she is so centered on the whole geography and "I want out of Texas" that it overshadows any real logic.

Ok......Thanks for letting me vent..........

My DS is in the same boat. He has no clue what he wants to be, I think that is why he was so set on West Point. He thought they would tell him what he was going to do so he would be set for the next 20 years of his life. I keep telling him if he doesn't like engineering then he can switch majors, as long as it is sooner rather than later. (I have an undergrad degree I knew I would never use.) But I think the majority of seniors don't know what they want, hopefully your DD has friends who are in the same situation.

We did put down deposits for dorms as well as registered for the New Student Conference (the fee was deferred) even though one DS is still looking at Colorado. They offered the President's Scholarship but it is still priced higher than A&M.

Is anyone involved in their kids' after prom party? I would like some new ideas, instead of what is done year after year. I was wondering what activities and entertainment is at the party. What gifts or door prizes are given and if the kids are expected to pay or volunteer in order to attend or be eligible for prizes? And how do you select the chaperones?

We have a meeting Monday to discuss what activities we want and how we are going to present the idea of kids needing to volunteer at the various fundraisers. So far we have only had about 10% of the class volunteer.

Is anyone involved in their kids' after prom party? I would like some new ideas, instead of what is done year after year. I was wondering what activities and entertainment is at the party. What gifts or door prizes are given and if the kids are expected to pay or volunteer in order to attend or be eligible for prizes? And how do you select the chaperones?

We have a meeting Monday to discuss what activities we want and how we are going to present the idea of kids needing to volunteer at the various fundraisers. So far we have only had about 10% of the class volunteer.

I've stayed out of planning school functions since the 8th grade dance. I'm not type A personality enough for some of the crazy over the top moms in our district. I do know our after prom has a hypnotist that's quite popular.

On a separate note, neither school my dd has been accepted to allow housing deposits without a tuition deposit. We're going to both accepted student days in February and March.

Anyone else's senior bored to tears in school and ready for college? Dd has a pretty rigorous course load (2 college levels, APs and honors) but is just bored. Luckily she's keeping her grades up.

No experience here with after prom but when DS was in high school it was a grad night - this program was run by the parents and generally staffed (chaperones) by underclassmen parents so that graduating senior parents could enjoy their company/visitors/personal parties. Chaperones had to be 18 (not in high school) and commit to a time slot - one year I was a door monitor from 1-4 am - can't "lock" them in (fire codes etc) but the rule was once signed in they could not leave until the time parents expected their departures (6am)

We had lots of food - snacks, junk, pizza and sub sandwiches - we would introduce a new staple twice during the evening - pizza upon arrival and then sandwiches at 3 am followed by breakfast muffins, juice and sausage at 5:30am
Usually hired a hypnotist as well - the kids really enjoyed that
the rest of the time was taken up with the gym filled with bounce houses, bungie runs (the inflatable thing) - pretty much anything inflatable that was out there we had
Also had the adult size trikes, we hosted races throughout the night, when not in a race the kids could use them and zipped all over the place
of course music (DJ) and dancing - we also had a quite corner where they could sit, chill and just visit with each other (or nap)
Every year had a theme and decor and accessories to match - ie hawaiian night kids got leis & straw hats and were encouraged to wear hawaiian shirts/shorts.
Fundraising was done by parents - usually in conjunction with athletic events - 50/50 raffles etc.
Also, there were a few years where we were involved with the grad night organization and received a bit of funding from them as well which I think came from M.A.D.D.
Kids paid to attend - I believe in 2008 the rate was $45 a head - the one rule for grad night was it was class members only - no dates or friends unless part of the class
I would assume with a prom you would need to include their dates
We did raffles as well as gifts/door prizes - we tried to get as many community donations as possible which were usually gift cards for restaurants or the bowling center, water park etc.
the end of the night we did a balloon drop and some of the balloons had prizes or cash inside of them.

I've been avoiding DD's Grad night here in Texas as I burnt myself out on those parent dance mommy mentality events when DS was in high school and now prefer to stick to less drama - I'm one of the judges for an upcoming debate tournament and I am in charge of checking in runners for the spring Fun Run 5K at DD's school hosted by the Athletic Training Dept of which she is an active member.

My kids' school doesn't have an after prom party, but a grad party called Safe and Sane. It's a massive undertaking (largest in the area from what I understand). It's held at the university where the ceremony is. Tons of food donated, giveaways and raffles all night long (tv, computers, phones, a car, stuff donated by local businesses, etc.). The kids come away with a lot. An entertainment company comes in and sets up inflatables, laser tag, money booth, etc., all for $30 per kid. They're kept there until about 5am. I am supposed to volunteer this year which will be interesting.

I've stayed out of planning school functions since the 8th grade dance. I'm not type A personality enough for some of the crazy over the top moms in our district. I do know our after prom has a hypnotist that's quite popular.

On a separate note, neither school my dd has been accepted to allow housing deposits without a tuition deposit. We're going to both accepted student days in February and March.

Anyone else's senior bored to tears in school and ready for college? Dd has a pretty rigorous course load (2 college levels, APs and honors) but is just bored. Luckily she's keeping her grades up.

Yes DS has checked out
He also has a rigorous course load
Five AP classes and is keeping his grades up but mentally he's ready for graduation.

Our after prom has inflatables, Bingo, volleyball tournament, dodgeball, hypnotist, and prizes. Those are the things I remember from DD talking and from pictures. I was just there to help with breakfast. She said it was a long night, boring at times, and she may not stay the whole time this year. She'd rather not stay up all night. Lots of kids were sick the week after and it took a toll on her and the rest of the track team for sure. If she leaves early this year and goes to bed that's fine with me. They will call me to tell me she's leaving. (Problem is there's a good chance DD15 will be there too and idk if she'll want to leave early.)

The kids go to local businesses to solicit at least some of the prizes. The prom committee might buy some from the budget too. The whole class works concessions sophomore year at games and the county fair and that pays for everything. As long as you/your family works 10 times during the year plus at least one shift at the fair, you don't pay to go to prom. Each time worked counts as $20 toward your $200 prom cost. DD's class had enough left over to pay for their caps and gowns as well.

I've been browsing prom dresses online for entertainment and have been worried she'll only like expensive ones because she wants to be more princess/poofy this year. Probably both girls will be at prom this year and I wanted to stay under $200 each. Last night I was browsing a couple of FB prom swap pages and she saw one that she said was the closest she'd seen to what she thinks she wants. It was Tony Bowls and she started looking up dresses from there she liked- $450-$850. So I messaged the girls with the one she liked on FB and she's only asking $130. It originally was $480. I was surprised and pleased because many girls ask for a lot closer to retail. We're going to check it out Sunday and fingers crossed she loves it and it fits. It's definitely got an Elsa vibe. It is strapless which she tries to avoid but we'll see if it feels like it will stay in place and my mom could likely add straps.

My DD's Prom is a Junior Prom, so as a Senior she doesn't feel the same need to have a long prom-like dress. She tells me she's going short again. As for after-Prom parties, my DD doesn't attend them so I have no idea what they do. She hangs out with her friends at someone's house.

She is still waiting on UMN and UWM. Both of them are supposed to get back to her by the end of the month.

She told me today that she is changing up her schedule for her second semester. She doesn't enjoy her English 4 class and will be replacing it with Contemporary Literature, but it's only available 7th hour and that's caused a cascade of changes throughout her schedule. She's going to have to move 2 other classes and drop Accounting to make things work which will leave her with a study hall and a class where she's a TA. She doesn't need Accounting to graduate but it seems to me to be a waste of time to have two open slots in the day out of 7 ... plus the Accounting class was an easy "A".

Procrastinating DS is finished-Hallelujah! It was several nights right down to the wire. The MIT app wouldn't go through-too many other procrastinators so he emailed them at 11:50pm and they said they would also accept apps the next day due to the logjam of late apps. Whew!

My DD's Prom is a Junior Prom, so as a Senior she doesn't feel the same need to have a long prom-like dress. She tells me she's going short again. As for after-Prom parties, my DD doesn't attend them so I have no idea what they do. She hangs out with her friends at someone's house.

She is still waiting on UMN and UWM. Both of them are supposed to get back to her by the end of the month.

She told me today that she is changing up her schedule for her second semester. She doesn't enjoy her English 4 class and will be replacing it with Contemporary Literature, but it's only available 7th hour and that's caused a cascade of changes throughout her schedule. She's going to have to move 2 other classes and drop Accounting to make things work which will leave her with a study hall and a class where she's a TA. She doesn't need Accounting to graduate but it seems to me to be a waste of time to have two open slots in the day out of 7 ... plus the Accounting class was an easy "A".

My daughter is changing her schedule as well because of English. Seniors who don't opt for an AP English choose 2 semester long classes. Technically dd shouldn't be allowed to switch but her counselor is just putting it through. I was prepared to go up the food chain (which I've done once in 12 years) but I hate her current teach as much as she does. I hope she has a more engaging 2nd half of the year.

DD signed up for housing 6 days after being accepted. The web site stated they would response mid Dec to January. Yesterday she received notice she could pick a room. Tonight she went to the site filled out all the pages, put in the deposit, one of the last pages it stated: There is only one room left in your request. Really?
Her friend did not make the November 1st deadline, she will find out if accepted on Feb 5 th. They thought they would like to be in the same room suite. I am wondering if they will be even a chance for that.

All that is very different than here- we don't have activities and prizes or after prom supervised parties. A lot of the kids head into NYC to go to one of the night clubs there for after prom. Last year my daughter went to prom with a boy that was a senior and one kid in the groups parents wouldn't let her go to the city so they all went back to one of the kids houses and went in the pool and hot tub and all slept over there. This year they are going to the city even if that girl can't go again and then right after graduation (prom is two days before graduation) my daughter and a couple kids are going to Disney for a week - one of the kids will be 18 by then so she will be able to check them into the hotel.

I need to start thinking about prom dresses. Yuk. I hate prom dresses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter