Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

DD is giving me gray hair - she is still in Hawaii on vacation (I know, must be nice lol) her BFF's family took her with them, their treat!
Anyway, yesterday I got a text: "I'm going to apply to A&M Corpus Christi, the marine sciences are fascinating" (in her defense, she is a total STEM kid)
Ummmmmm ok, it appears they take app's until March 1 but all scholarship apps had to be in by Dec 1 - this confuses me.....oh well
We have a nephew there right now. He loves the school.

We are still waiting, and waiting, and waiting for anything whatsoever from DS's colleges. Another couple of months, I guess.

Out of curiosity, what are others doing about housing decisions? My sister has gone ahead and paid the deposit at UT and A&M because dorms fill so quickly. Once they get the decision from UT, they'll let one go. We weren't sure if this was the right thing to do or not. My DD20 got an acceptance from her first choice in October 2014 and dorm reservations didn't open until January so we didn't face this dilemma.

I really think it depends on the school. For UMN-TC, you just have to have applied to put down the housing deposit, so we did (non-refundable $25). For UW-La Crosse, you have to have been admitted (but do not need to accept yet) to put down the housing deposit, so we did. For Iowa State, you need to have been admitted and accept the spot. They highly encourage you to do so, straight out saying you can change your mind before May 1st, so we did.

Now Marquette, says you may not sign up for housing until you commit and put down enrollment deposit and they specifically say you may not accept enrollment at more than one school, so we did NOT put any deposit down on Marquette. DS was accepted to St. Norbert as well, but I have not looked into the housing as of yet.

With all of the above schools, housing is assigned based on the priority date of your deposit. With UW-Madison, as long as you have your deposit in by a certain date, every one gets the same priority date and housing is assigned in a lottery of sorts.

So much to keep track of...

The admission packet from University of Tennessee came yesterday. DD did not get accepted to the Nursing Program. The letter said she didn't meet the requirements for admission to nursing. I am a little confused by this because I can't find anything on their website about what the actual requirements for a HS senior are.

Maybe they mean her test scores and GPA weren't high enough?

She did get accepted to her 2nd choice (Business).
Can she enter as a undeclared student then reapply to the nursing program after her first successful year?

UMass Amherst - they have become more and more selective over the years. Seems to becoming harder to get in and with the poor SAT scores my daughter has, we are banking only on her good GPA, volunteer work and rigor of courses she's taken. She's applying to the Communication Science and Disorders program - and that major is not offered at a lot of schools. that's why I think she hasn't heard from a lot of them when others have. Fingers crossed!

Both of my daughter's have both applied to Univ. of Colorado Boulder - seemingly out of nowhere. In their defense I can see them both there since they are very "outdoorsy" and love to ski. But it's sooooo far away! I didn't think they would consider it but now that one has been accepted the other one is on edge waiting to hear. It's very expensive indeed and have to factor in travel expenses as well. We shall see. I don't want to hold them back - I want them to go where they are happy and receive the best education. But selfishly I'm dreading it if they decide to move that far away.

Happy New Year to All!
My older son just applied to grad school there for Aerospace Engineering. I'm so hoping he gets in plus an assistantship-it's gorgeous there, plus the program is amazing.

The one app my procrastinating son submitted (U at Buffalo), we heard almost immediately back through email plus a small scholarship. He did get into honors which allows him to apply for the Presidential scholarship (room, board, books, tuition). My older son is currently on that scholarship at UB.

Today he is submitting three more and two more tomorrow. Nothing like waiting until the last minute-makes me crazy!!!

Can she enter as a undeclared student then reapply to the nursing program after her first successful year?
Yes! She can apply for a change of major to nursing. If she chooses this route, she will need to work her tail off to get the most competitive grades she can get!

We are still waiting to hear from 3 other schools. Then it will be decision time.

Yep, one of the girls brought it up today. I think DD15 said to her, "You're going to college THIS year." (DD15 was also concerned about turning 16 this year- the age of Liesl in Sound of Music when she feels more like Gretl :rotfl:).

We got DD18 a dresser today to take to school. Then stopped at Goodwill and happened upon a tilting drawing desk like I mentioned upthread for...$5! It's ours now and could potentially go to school with her since it doesn't take up much room when adjusted to vertical.

Happy 2017..... DS turns 18 next month and leaves for college in the fall. it truly blows my mind to think about how fast time has flown.

I'm so sorry. The acceptance into their chosen department definitely adds stress. Then after that stress a large number change their major anyway, :-)

My nephew has narrowed his decision to Texas A&M or UT with UT being his first choice. He's auto admit at both. He's been accepted to his chosen program at A&M but UT hasn't sent that decision. If he gets in the program at UT- he'll go there if not, A&M it is. He's probably a better fit for UT so fingers crossed.

Out of curiosity, what are others doing about housing decisions? My sister has gone ahead and paid the deposit at UT and A&M because dorms fill so quickly. Once they get the decision from UT, they'll let one go. We weren't sure if this was the right thing to do or not. My DD20 got an acceptance from her first choice in October 2014 and dorm reservations didn't open until January so we didn't face this dilemma.

The 2 schools my dd had been accepted at won't take a housing deposit without a nonrefundable tuition deposit. Since neither are her 1st choice we'll wait. I'm willing to lose $25 but not several hundred.

We're going to accepted student days in February and March so she'll do a little research before then on her top choice dorms so we can scope them out.

DS just made his decision, and we put in his deposit! Even though he hasn't heard from Penn State yet, he decided that he wanted to go to Temple. He got a small scholarship from them and was accepted into the pre health professionals major. So if he wants to either go to PA or med school, he will be able to be on track for either.... It's also a city school, which he likes. Even though I went to PSU, I think he will be very happy at Temple. Plus, it's closer to home, so that's a plus for getting him back and forth... (That's a far cry from the 3 Florida schools he was accepted to!)

I can't believe the decision has been made, that the 1sr semester of his senior year is almost over, and college will be here before we know it!

Just a question for the parents who's kids are just submitting applications now, doesn't it drastically decrease their chances of getting in to that college with the late submission of their application ?

Our guidance counselors and my friend who is a guidance counselor stressed to my son to have those applications in by Nov 30 no matter what.

Just a question for the parents who's kids are just submitting applications now, doesn't it drastically decrease their chances of getting in to that college with the late submission of their application ?

Our guidance counselors and my friend who is a guidance counselor stressed to my son to have those applications in by Nov 30 no
I can't speak for all colleges, but the ones we toured were very clear that it did not make a difference when you applied, as long as applications were submitted by the deadline. January 1st was the deadline for regular admission to the colleges DS applied to (with one being January 15th). Now, he could have applied early decision, but again the schools emphasized that it did not increase your odds of being accepted. But, this was just a small sample of the many choices out there. Maybe other programs are different.:)

Our guidance counselors and my friend who is a guidance counselor stressed to my son to have those applications in by Nov 30 no matter what.
It actually doesn't make any difference as long as your application is in by the deadline. That Nov 30 deadline is to prevent the panicked procrastinators. I personally prefer to have things in well before they are due. I think my son views a deadline as a challenge.

I don't think it matters in terms of admissions but I think it can and does matter in terms of scholarships. Several schools my dd applied to had a December 1st deadline for some of the larger merit aid awards. Luckily she had all her applications in well before then.

Our guidance counselors and my friend who is a guidance counselor stressed to my son to have those applications in by Nov 30 no matter what.[/QUOTE

The ones that said that we made sure to put in early for- the rest don't even let you know anything until April 1st if you applied in sept or waited until Jan 1st unless you did early action or early decision.

We have a nephew there right now. He loves the school.

We are still waiting, and waiting, and waiting for anything whatsoever from DS's colleges. Another couple of months, I guess.
Does he live in campus?

I really think it depends on the school. For UMN-TC, you just have to have applied to put down the housing deposit, so we did (non-refundable $25). For UW-La Crosse, you have to have been admitted (but do not need to accept yet) to put down the housing deposit, so we did. For Iowa State, you need to have been admitted and accept the spot. They highly encourage you to do so, straight out saying you can change your mind before May 1st, so we did.

Now Marquette, says you may not sign up for housing until you commit and put down enrollment deposit and they specifically say you may not accept enrollment at more than one school, so we did NOT put any deposit down on Marquette. DS was accepted to St. Norbert as well, but I have not looked into the housing as of yet.

With all of the above schools, housing is assigned based on the priority date of your deposit. With UW-Madison, as long as you have your deposit in by a certain date, every one gets the same priority date and housing is assigned in a lottery of sorts.

So much to keep track of...
I have mentioned to DD several times I was willing to put out the $25 for a housing deposit but she is very nonchalant and said to wait.

Well........funny you mention this. So, IMO the whole application process was up to DD - I did my part, the FAFSA etc. She kept telling me she had all the deadlines noted in her calendar etc.
Unbeknownst to me, there is an application deadline (the one she is using in almost all cases) and then the scholarship/merit aid application - I had NO IDEA these were different.
I could strangle the procrastinating teen at this moment, the whole concept of how to pay for this education seems to be completely off her radar.
Her procrastinating has lost her any chance at the in-state schools of which she has only applied to one with one to go.

I think deep down, she is scared to death to leave high school and somewhere in that still developing mass of jello between her ears she is thinking that she can somehow delay the inevitable.
She drags her heels, changes her mind constantly and her general doesn't seem to give a rats butt attitude is rubbing on my last nerve.
I actually asked her last night if she really wanted to go to college because the vibe I am getting is there is no enthusiasm whatsoever. She said yes she does but she is so confused about where and what to study and IMO she is so centered on the whole geography and "I want out of Texas" that it overshadows any real logic.

I'm kind of at a loss and frustrated with this whole process. DS was sooooooo easy - Three college visits, that resulted in him only applying to one. We had the acceptance within a few weeks (fall of his Sr. year to the state school) put down the housing deposit as soon as they began accepting and that was it.......done, worry/stress free remainder of Sr. year. Ohhhhh so not so with DD, that child is making me nuts.

Ok......Thanks for letting me vent..........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter