Panic Attacks on Rides?

I have never had an anxiety attack until I rode Mission Space. Not only did I fill two of the provided bags but I felt panicky when we saw ITTBAB and on Dinosaur during the dark parts even though I had done them before MS and been fine. We are going back in Sept and I hope those images are wiped form my brain although I will NEVER do Mission Space again.

I think this past April was my last time on Tower of Terror, I feel so panicky every time that thing moves. Up, down, both make me completely unglued. I would avoid this ride for anyone who suffers from panic attacks.

Mission: Space is 4 minutes.

That feels like 4 hours when you're having a panic attack, which I did the first time I rode it because the console unexpectely came down on my chest (just like it's suppossed to, but who knew?????). For 2 minutes I lost my mind. For the other 2 minutes I fought to find it. But I am the definition of a trooper so the following year I had to ride it again and I did, holding it together pretty well, if I do say so myself!
:cool1:

But, never again, probably...... ;)

About a minute into It's a Small World I have a panic attack... I get so worried that the ride will stop and I'll get stuck in there forever!

Yet I get on it every time I go...

vascubaguy said:
About a minute into It's a Small World I have a panic attack... I get so worried that the ride will stop and I'll get stuck in there forever!

Yet I get on it every time I go...

:rotfl2: Oh, that's just too funny. Now I'll probably have the same reaction! :grouphug:

For those of you suffering from panic attacks I just wanted to say that it is possible to recover from them

I started with them when I was in my early teens (after I fainted in a school assembly) and over the years they have come and gone until I was in my late 20's when they became so bad that I could have one literally anywhere even at home. Then I realized that it was the fear of the panic attack itself that was the problem - not any situation.

At the age of 40 I couldn't go on a bus into town and had never travelled out of the U.K. But I'll be 50 this year and slowly over the last 10 years my life has really opened up. I can now travel anywhere, do anything and next week I'll take the next of my visits to WDW - alone with 3 of my children for the first week and then joined by my DH with another of my children.

I think I've recovered with a combination of low dosage anti-depressants and cognitive behaviour therapy. This has helped me realize that panic attacks cannot harm me and the only way to get over them is to lose the fear of them i.e. not to run away from them but to do all the things that you know might bring them on. I know that's terribly difficult in the short term but believe me in the long term it is well worth it.

Here I was thinking I was alone in this category!! After my divorce I suffered from awful panic attacks stemming from Social Anxiety Disorder...but I wanted to go to WDW more than anything...luckily I only had two attacks...one when I was harrassed rather gruffly by a CM over the fact that my hand wasn't stamped and another while waiting in line for Space Mountain. I was so proud of myself over that!!

It took me a year of therapy, two years of meds and at least four years of serious soul discovery, but I finally have control over the situation. Now I have control over my emotions in a way that not too many people do...luckily I also have OCD, so that helped bunches!!

I feel for everyone who suffers with this daily...I've been there.

I have secretly been reading posts on here for months, wondering how i will manage at the parks and hoping i will not have a panic attack. I have not been on a disney ride in over five years. Hopefully the exciting atmosphere will not be overwhelming. I want to fully enjoy my disney experience and plan to start slowly, perhaps tea cups and take it from there. It's calming to see others have similar anxities as i do. I plan to relax poolside at POR. I'm traveling Oct.8-15, cant wait :rotfl:

mimimischief said:
I want to fully enjoy my disney experience and plan to start slowly, perhaps tea cups and take it from there. It's calming to see others have similar anxities as i do. I plan to relax poolside at POR. I'm traveling Oct.8-15, cant wait :rotfl:

Oh! Please don't start with the Teacups! I think they might not be a good slow start because of the spinning motion. Maybe Tomorrowland Transit? Or Winnie the Pooh? Or Carousel of Progress if it is open? Then Dumbo, Peter Pan, etc. My DS has panic attacks, and unless he's doing fairly well on our trips, I try to keep him away from the Teacups because I don't want him to get nauseated, especially if it's hot. (He does all the rollercoasters, too!)
Julie

To all those sufferers who will be taking their first trip to WDW since starting to have attacks - WE CAN DO IT!! I'm going to start off slow (going to Epcot on my first day and I'm going to avoid Mission Space!) and just see how I feel. It's amazing how many of us suffer in silence - thinking that others probably see us as "crazy :guilty: "! You are not alone!

Several people have mentioned taking Xanax - I usually take this before a plane trip but it makes me sleepy, which is fine on a plane but not too good in WDW. Any meds that won't make you drowsy?

Also, how is Soarin' for panic? Many threads report that it is calm and gentle.

Gosh this thread has made me feel better :flower: I too used to be a thrill rider until my 50's & menopause set in. Now I have panic attacks when I least expect one. I have curtailed some of my riding like Space Mountain and Spaceship Earths - rides I know trigger me. In June ds14 and I had a great visit except for 'Soarin - I had a major one on that and kept my eyes closed tightly for most of it. DS loved the ride so afterwards I waited for him in the waiting area. Xanax makes me sleepy also. A margarita at lunch or a glass of wine has helped tremendously though. But for now I just try to avoid what I know will do me in. I will say, for me at least, that just being able to talk about it when it is happening and not suffering in silence has helped a lot. Good luck to all my panic pals.

I remember my first panic attack. I was about to ride Python at Busch Gardens. I freaked and had to leave the ride. My next one was riding the Hulk. I also strapped myself in and thought I was going to die. What a horrible feeling!!! Now I still feel a little nervous right when I am about to ride a thrill ride. I just try and tell myself that its part of just feeling excited.

I can ride Space Mountain, Thunder, and even TOT and RNRC and be ok. I have riden Python again but still havent had the courage to ride the Hulk. It really bothers me because I love all those sensations and thrills. Thanks to everyone who has responded. You sometimes feel so alone having to deal with this. :grouphug:

MamaQuack said:
Gosh this thread has made me feel better :flower: I too used to be a thrill rider until my 50's & menopause set in. Now I have panic attacks when I least expect one. I have curtailed some of my riding like Space Mountain and Spaceship Earths - rides I know trigger me. In June ds14 and I had a great visit except for 'Soarin - I had a major one on that and kept my eyes closed tightly for most of it. DS loved the ride so afterwards I waited for him in the waiting area. Xanax makes me sleepy also. A margarita at lunch or a glass of wine has helped tremendously though. But for now I just try to avoid what I know will do me in. I will say, for me at least, that just being able to talk about it when it is happening and not suffering in silence has helped a lot. Good luck to all my panic pals.

I know this doesn't apply to all posters here, but to all of us who have our panic attacks associated with menopause, I'll offer some advice that was offered me. With both panic attacks and hot flashes (mine were always associated with each other), don't think of them as panic attacks...think of them as "power surges". I swear this helped me overcome that awful feeling of helplessness.

I was diagnosed with Panic/Anxiety disorder 16 years ago and had no problems with any of the rides.Like others have said on here,breathing exercises and picturing your happy place work great .But its also important to getting plenty of rest and limit your caffeine intake (being tired and caffeine are both irritants for anyone with panic/anxiety).
A good distraction for me while standing in crowded lines was to concentrate on finding hidden mickeys. :earsboy:

To all that suffers from panic attacks: A little story and a little advise.

I experienced my first panic attack while I was driving. I have come to figure out that the reason why I was having them is because I was anxious to get home and sitting in traffic would aggrevate me. I just wanted to post to this discussion and share my experience. I have learned that it is mind over matter. If I have an anxiety attack (which is very, very rare now), I simply go for a walk and tell myself that I have left my attack behind. I know it sounds funny but it actually works. A friend of my taught me this technique. Whatever the technique, you have to convince yourself that it will go away and will not last. Another tip I have is when I knew I was putting myself in a situation where I thought I may have an attack, I would listen to a CD called Enya (also good to listen to if you can't fall asleep). This CD is very relaxing. The key is is to get the fear out of your head. If you believe in yourself, you CAN control it to the point were you will not have to deal with it so frequently, or maybe even never. Take control of your life, don't let it control you. I used to get them so bad that I could not even be around large crowds (Social Anxiety). I learned to deal with it and faced my fears. Remember, anxiety is also defined as a fear. Find that fear and conquer it. I know it sounds easier said than done but you must have faith in your capabilities. Someone prior to this post stated that they had to do some soul search and that, my friends, is a great method (also good for your health).

When I first had anxiety attacks, I had no one to talk to about it. Everyone thought I was going crazy. I did ALOT of research and tried different Rx's. I stopped using the meds and made a decision to conquer my fears and gain control of my life. I also came to the reality that the meds were only a temporary solution and I had to find a life long solution. Now, I'm not critizing anyone who takes meds, but just trying to let you know that only you can control what you feel and how you feel about situations.

Just have faith in yourself and know that you're not the only one, perhaps at that same moment, that is going through the exact same thing you are. Remember, there are many people to talk to and you're not alone. Knowing that you're not exactly crazy, is a calming feeling in itself! :flower:

I had my first panic attack while I was at the haunted mansion in the shrinking room. I have been in that room a thousand times at least and it has never bothered me but then I thought what if the doors didn't open? It was really hot that day and we were packed in like sardines and then that ghost yells...."and there is no way out!" ...yeah..thank you for adding to my anxiety!I have never taken any medication yet but I use tricks like breathing deeply and letting the air out slowly or I drink water or I talk to my kids. You do have power over your brain...it just takes practice and the more you practice your brain the easier it becomes. Usually once you have had an attack the fear is always there for the next one. But once you conquer your fear by talking yourself out of it then your fear lessens as time goes by. I was told to tell yourself that no one has ever died from anxiety. I look at it like a contraction. I am riding the wave and now I am coming out of it. Don't fight it too much...just go with it. Getting mad and I mean really mad like ok whatever happens happens...I am tired of this...it will usually go away. I don't like elevators but I will go on them. I seem to do better when I am in control of the situation. If I know I am free to leave at any time, then I am fine. I had to leave honey I shrunk the audience. It was embarrassing because the kids are like where are you going? Someone told me that panicky people have it in their genes and there is something wrong with their brains because they perceive the "fight or flight" wrong. Their adrenaline gets pumped up unnecessarily over little issues like riding over a bridge when most people don't have a problem. Their brains know when there is really a danger coming and their adrenaline kicks in at the proper time but panicky brains set off the adrenaline at the wrong times. It is within our control though. The brain is like a muscle and it can be exercised and trained to think the proper way. I know people that used to think negative but now think positive because they trained themselves. I am not saying that medication doesn't have its place. Some people have it severe and need it. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a plane or ship. Does xanax help with nausea as well as anxiety? I have never taken it before. Is it easy to get hooked on it? Sorry so longwinded but glad this wonderful thread came up. You are not alone :flower:

Laugh O. Grams said:
She used to do the same as you "talk" to herself as she went over. She'd even insist on turning off the radio so she could hear herself say the words. After driving over every bridge and through every tunnel in Manhattan for the last couple years (there's no other way out), she is great these days, no symptoms, but for an occational "twinge" from time to time while going over, kind of like butterflies in her stomach, on rainy days. She rocks!! :teeth:

i now don't feel so weird about talking out loud to myself when having an anxiety attack. the mind talking no longer works. i sometimes have to yell at myself to gain control. one of the things i learned from tapes i listened to was when having an attack never play the what if game? it makes the attack stronger and longer. xanax is my crutch also. also i go to disney to make me face my fears so thats what i'm doing this oct. alot of phobios and those tunnels in md and ny always got me.

disneyfan3 said:
I had my first panic attack while I was at the haunted mansion in the shrinking room. I have been in that room a thousand times at least and it has never bothered me but then I thought what if the doors didn't open? It was really hot that day and we were packed in like sardines and then that ghost yells...."and there is no way out!" ...yeah..thank you for adding to my anxiety!I have never taken any medication yet but I use tricks like breathing deeply and letting the air out slowly or I drink water or I talk to my kids. You do have power over your brain...it just takes practice and the more you practice your brain the easier it becomes. Usually once you have had an attack the fear is always there for the next one. But once you conquer your fear by talking yourself out of it then your fear lessens as time goes by. I was told to tell yourself that no one has ever died from anxiety. I look at it like a contraction. I am riding the wave and now I am coming out of it. Don't fight it too much...just go with it. Getting mad and I mean really mad like ok whatever happens happens...I am tired of this...it will usually go away. I don't like elevators but I will go on them. I seem to do better when I am in control of the situation. If I know I am free to leave at any time, then I am fine. I had to leave honey I shrunk the audience. It was embarrassing because the kids are like where are you going? Someone told me that panicky people have it in their genes and there is something wrong with their brains because they perceive the "fight or flight" wrong. Their adrenaline gets pumped up unnecessarily over little issues like riding over a bridge when most people don't have a problem. Their brains know when there is really a danger coming and their adrenaline kicks in at the proper time but panicky brains set off the adrenaline at the wrong times. It is within our control though. The brain is like a muscle and it can be exercised and trained to think the proper way. I know people that used to think negative but now think positive because they trained themselves. I am not saying that medication doesn't have its place. Some people have it severe and need it. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a plane or ship. Does xanax help with nausea as well as anxiety? I have never taken it before. Is it easy to get hooked on it? Sorry so longwinded but glad this wonderful thread came up. You are not alone :flower:

yes you can get hooked on xanax ,my shrink almost had me hooked on it and i got rid of him and took over. people with this problem at least myself its all about control. as long as i can see an out then i'm fine. with this problem i have had almost very close to 3 physical breakdowns cause when you are out in public it takes alot of strength to control yourself. mine came from my family but also i don't handle stress well and that is what triggers mine. this last time its taken me a full year and lots of baby steps to gain the control i do have. this oct will have all my fears and phobios rolled up in one place. but it is a place i love.my poor son got double do,i have it and his father has it. he started getting attacks 6 months ago, feel so bad for him. anyways sorry to ramble.

DISorburst said:
To all that suffers from panic attacks: A little story and a little advise.

I experienced my first panic attack while I was driving. I have come to figure out that the reason why I was having them is because I was anxious to get home and sitting in traffic would aggrevate me. I just wanted to post to this discussion and share my experience. I have learned that it is mind over matter. If I have an anxiety attack (which is very, very rare now), I simply go for a walk and tell myself that I have left my attack behind. I know it sounds funny but it actually works. A friend of my taught me this technique. Whatever the technique, you have to convince yourself that it will go away and will not last. Another tip I have is when I knew I was putting myself in a situation where I thought I may have an attack, I would listen to a CD called Enya (also good to listen to if you can't fall asleep). This CD is very relaxing. The key is is to get the fear out of your head. If you believe in yourself, you CAN control it to the point were you will not have to deal with it so frequently, or maybe even never. Take control of your life, don't let it control you. I used to get them so bad that I could not even be around large crowds (Social Anxiety). I learned to deal with it and faced my fears. Remember, anxiety is also defined as a fear. Find that fear and conquer it. I know it sounds easier said than done but you must have faith in your capabilities. Someone prior to this post stated that they had to do some soul search and that, my friends, is a great method (also good for your health).

When I first had anxiety attacks, I had no one to talk to about it. Everyone thought I was going crazy. I did ALOT of research and tried different Rx's. I stopped using the meds and made a decision to conquer my fears and gain control of my life. I also came to the reality that the meds were only a temporary solution and I had to find a life long solution. Now, I'm not critizing anyone who takes meds, but just trying to let you know that only you can control what you feel and how you feel about situations.

Just have faith in yourself and know that you're not the only one, perhaps at that same moment, that is going through the exact same thing you are. Remember, there are many people to talk to and you're not alone. Knowing that you're not exactly crazy, is a calming feeling in itself! :flower:

you are so right and thats what i have done the 3 major times i suffered with these attacks. the 1st time it took 8 months of my life to gain control with xanax a very low dose. this time it took a year and its still not done. what happens with me each time it shows itself the systoms are not the same and by the time i figure out its anxiety it has a hold on me. i get physical problems first which throws me off. if i know its the attacks i start taking my meds and do the talking to self to gain control. stress is the trigger for me.

whitneyv said:
To all those sufferers who will be taking their first trip to WDW since starting to have attacks - WE CAN DO IT!! I'm going to start off slow (going to Epcot on my first day and I'm going to avoid Mission Space!) and just see how I feel. It's amazing how many of us suffer in silence - thinking that others probably see us as "crazy :guilty: "! You are not alone!

Several people have mentioned taking Xanax - I usually take this before a plane trip but it makes me sleepy, which is fine on a plane but not too good in WDW. Any meds that won't make you drowsy?

Also, how is Soarin' for panic? Many threads report that it is calm and gentle.

i agree 100% the first place i am going to alone so i won't have the dh to fall back on. very important to me to gain back my indepence. mk and the first ride is my favorite is peter pan then hm and something that is out in the open. if its hot that will cause attacks but i have that nipped in the bud,i hope.another thing i learned is when you face your fears always pat yourself on the back and tell yourself you did good. it helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter