Package or Not

Terk-1

Dreaming of Disney Cruising!
Am starting to plan my next solo trip and can't decide if I should do this trip using the new packages that Disney is offering or just booking everything separate. I've had an AP on my last 3 trips, but never got a renewal letter (expired the end of 11/04). My last 3 trips were done in pieces, getting a great discount rate for the hotel, cheap airfare on Southwest or Song, and having my AP to get into the parks. Where this will be a solo trip, are the packages per person double occupancy or can I get the new deal as a solo? Do they charge more for a solo versus doubles? Is the meal plan worth the extra $$? If I was to do things in pieces, would I still be able to get the free transportation that Disney is advertising or is that just for people who book packages? Which do you think is cheaper (package or pieces)? How do the packages work for paying? Do they offer insurance and if so how much and is it worth the $$? I'd like to stay at either the French Quarter or Wilderness Lodge. How much of a discount do you get booking a package with AAA or using AAA for just the hotel? I know I'll have more questions, but I thought I'd start here first.

Yes, a solo can book a package that includes park passes, resort room and the new dining option. The dining option is $35 per day and you must add it for every night of your package. Only you can decide if you would normally spend more than $35 on lunch, dinner and a snack. (It definitely will for us and we have included it for our upcoming package trip!). AAA discounts vary according to your local agency. But, even if you got the same rates as the Disney website, you will still get the AAA perks: AAA parking pass, AAA Diamond Card (discounts at various places for dining, recreation, services, merchandise, and tours), and admission to the private AAA VIP Lounge.
I think the AAA travel insurance is about $45.
Disney's Magical Express Service from MCO will be available to anyone staying onsite at a WDW resort.

ncbyrne,
Thanks for the info.

Bumping this up to see if anyone else has any recommendations as to whether I should package or not.

thanks in advance!

Currently, packages with the meal plans have the room component priced at rack rate only. But it is the total price for rooms, meals, and tickets that you want to compare.

Price out the package you want compared with booking the parts separately including estimating how much you will spend on meals without a package. Check back every now and then. Specials come and go.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/dispass.htm

If I was to book a package with say AAA, is it the same rate I would pay directly with WDW Travel? Also, what if I want to cancel and do things in pieces instead? How much time do I have to get my money back and is the deposit non-refundable? If I do things in pieces, I'm wondering if I should get an AP again. With this new package plan Disney is offering, are they still offering AP or discount code rates for rooms or has that pretty much gone away? Would I save more $$ if I booked using an AP?

If you book through AAA, you will save 10 to 15% on the room rack rate only--all the other components of the package are the same cost as if you booked through WDW.

The deposit is refundable up to a point--time frames vary between AAA branches, so you should verify exact time frames for cancellation through them. You also have to pay the balance of the package at least 45 days prior to travel.

Right now there don't appear to be any AP rates out. For our April trip this year, after much research we determined that the AAA package with MYW dining was the best deal out there in this time frame.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter