Overpackers Anonymous

I have packed and re-packed my suitcase probably.... 10 times now. And I still have a month and a half to go. :sad2:

I just need to tell myself-- you'll do LAUNDRY at the resort. You don't need ALL of these clothes. DH doesn't have many shorts. You're going to HAVE to do laundry anyway. Put.away.some.clothes.

But then as soon as I do that, I'll fill up my suitcase with other random things :rotfl: :headache:

I personally am a cured over packer. However when it come to the rest of the family it's a completely different matter altogether. With my 2 overactive boys DS7 and DS8, they tend to blow through clothes at an accelerated rate. So I like to pack at least 1 extra change of clothes, as I know that there is a pretty good chance that they are going to need it by the end of the trip. DH is also an over packer, and usually packs double of what I do, and I'm the one packing the medicine cabinet for the family. Drugs are the one thing I do over pack on, but it's for the reason that you never know if the kids are going to get sick on vacation, and I'd rather have the drugs on hand, rather than having to find a drug store open in the middle of the night for some drugs needed that I didn't bring with me. This happened this year on our Feb/11 trip to DL for 2 weeks. DS7 got sick with the flu while we were down there, and the over the counter meds I brought with me were a life saver.

Hi, my name is Rachel, and I am an overpacker.
My record is when i took 12 pieces of luggage for a 10 day trip. Just for me.
I have gotten a bit more practical now that I have 4 kids, but I have a verrrry long packing list for this trip!!

You know I read all these blogs and articles about people who can travel the world over out of one back pack and I always ask myself, WHY?

1) NO, I do not want to wash my undies out in the sink.
2) NO, I do not want to wear the same pair of black shoes every day of my trip.
3) NO, I do not want to wear the same pair of pants 3X's during my trip with a different blouse. I want a different outfit.
4) NO I don't want to wear the same shell top and layer it to try and give the appearance of a "evening" look and a "day" look.

Nothing worse in my opinion than getting dressed on vacation and realizing that you have the perfect shoes to go with your ensemble AT HOME :scared1:
I'm a proud overpacker. Hey, I'm not ashamed to admit it, I want to look my best when I go on vacation. whether it's Disney or Paris, I want my shoes to match my outfit. ;) If that means budgeting in an extra 30 bucks for a check bag, so be it.

OMG I am the same way!! In fact, I take it one step further. I like to buy NEW clothes before I go. Some people say they wear older clothes and then just donate them somewhere before they leave ... NOT ME!! I'm already putting aside clothes for my son and I so they are brand new for our trip!!

Count me in as an overpacker as well. I've been to WDW in June before and every time I go I continue to pack a pair of jeans... COME ON ITS FLORIDA!

Its mostly just clothes for me but I love the comment about the 80 hours of DVDs for the 15 hour trip... My DW has been guilty of that as well.

Great Topic!

OMG I am the same way!! In fact, I take it one step further. I like to buy NEW clothes before I go. Some people say they wear older clothes and then just donate them somewhere before they leave ... NOT ME!! I'm already putting aside clothes for my son and I so they are brand new for our trip!!

Me too! My boys wanted to wear one of the new pairs of swim trunks into the pool last week and I said, "No, they are for the beach." before I even knew what I was saying!

Hi, my name is Rachel, and I am an overpacker.
My record is when i took 12 pieces of luggage for a 10 day trip. Just for me.
I have gotten a bit more practical now that I have 4 kids, but I have a verrrry long packing list for this trip!!

You would get along with my wife. It's embarrassing to me all the luggage she takes.

Count me in, I over pack beyond belief and then don't use half of it. In the midst of planning a Disney Cruise... even after trying to downsize my list its too much! :scared1:

I'm sure once hubby actually gets a look at the list there will be an intervention. :rotfl:

No I do not think that is too much. Of course you should see how I pack for the science fiction/fantasy conventions. Whew. Cosplayers are always dangerous packers.

I disagree! :goodvibes I pack very lightly when I don't have costumes to worry about. It's my partner who is the crazy overpacker. I have to go back through his stuff and weed out things I know he isn't going to need.

We are flying for the first time in years and I'm worried about my tendency to overpack because of luggage fees! I don't want to get hit with huge fees.

We will have a rental car and I need to remember that I can buy stuff when we get to Florida. Of course, then we have to come home too...

Since this is an old thread that has been revived, and this type of thread is now found on the theme parks community board, I'm going to move it there now.

Hello, my name is Duffy and I am an overpacker.

Admitting my addiction is the first step. I am powerless to stop.

I found myself this morning thinking that maybe I should pack the nice wooden bowl on my coffee table. It would look great on our table at the Wilderness Lodge when we get there tomorrow!

We have roughly 80 hours worth of dvds packed for the car ride. It is a 15 hour drive.

I have many, many batteries packed, both rechargeable and ordinary. I am fairly certain that there ARE places where I could buy batteries on the way and even when we get there. But still! What if there aren't??

I believe a power greater than myself-the Dis community-could restore me to sanity.

Wife and Daughter are card carrying members of that club as well. The airlines, however are doing what they can to help people with their addiction by charging for multiple and over weight bags.

I wouldn't worry too much about it since you are driving, it's worse being an overpacker when you are flying so I think you are good Enjoy!!!!!:thumbsup2

I had no choice but to cure my Overpackingitis, because I've got a really bad back. I can't haul around 50lb suitcases, so I do try to underpack as much as possible (more room in the suitcase for souvies!!!). I do buy new clothes for the kids before each trip, as we surprise our kids with the trips to DL, and in 2015 to WDW. It's alot easier to pack their suitcases and hide them, if they don't suddenly realize all their fav clothes are missing. I justify this in the fact that they wear through clothes alot, and they need them anyway. It's my story and I'm sticking with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter