Overpackers Anonymous

I live up in Northern Canada...it is common to pack an extra bag just for shopping...heck when I don't lug another bag with me I buy a rubbermaid action and tape it shut...I have rubbermaid coming out my ears. It is so normal to see the big durable plastic containers at the luggage carosel.

Apparently it's genetic! "Tinkerbell" brought my girls rolling backpacks last night to use as carry-ons for our trip (6 days!!!:banana: ). They've been stuffing those things all morning. :rotfl: It's quite a collection of treasures.:lmao:
I know this is a really old thread, but I can't help myself. I must post to it. I'm such an overpacker. Here I am looking through packing threads to be sure I don't forget something and I find a thread filled with my people. :cool1:

By the way, I also think it's genetic. My 5 year old has stuffed his little backpack full of all kinds of random goodness. He was concentrating so hard last night to find a space to put his football medal. Gotta impress those princesses. :cheer2:

It's actually fun to see this old thread though....I don't consider myself an overpacker anymore. I've gone enough to know what I need and what I don't.

I know I'm not at Disney to do laundry, but it is so useful to do a load or two. I'm staying at a Villa this October and there is a laundry machine in our room, free use, so excited to have something so convenient.

I also pack an extra bag for souviners and I pack a pop up laundry hamper. I use those "space bags" although not that company, to squish more stuff in my bag.

So interesting that this thread was bumped today, well, interesting for me, at least.

I spent my day cleaning out my 26-year old daughter's closet. She moved out years ago, but left stuff in her closet. It's all supposedly stuff that she will want, once she and her husband have moved to their "forever" house. It's PACKED with...crap. Oh, sure, there's some cool stuff that I know she's going to want someday, but, really, does she need empty wine bottles? Ripped posters of Bob Marley? Clothes that she hasn't worn in, oh, 8 years? BAGPIPES? BAGPIPES??!!

Clearly, it's hereditary.

PS. For those who worry, I've taken pictures of some things-including the bagpipes-and emailed them to her, she lives 10 hours away, and she can let me know if I should junk it or save it for her. I know better than to just junk it on my own!!

i am a partial overpacker... I start packing a week b4 and slowly take things out over the week that i don't really need to get it down to a nice resonable level. Last year i got sick and had to pack the night before when i got home from work i think i packed the least amount ever. though i did forget a few things

I thought I was over packer since I bring everything that I possibly need and little more for a trip. However, last year at WDW, I realized that I pack very lightly. I was next to a family of four (we are family of 3) and they had at least 10 luggages between them. Bellman's cart for luggages were too small to hold all their belongings. We had 2 carry-ons and 1 big one that we checked-in and a couple of backpacks. :lmao:
Anyways, for coming trip it's just DS and me. I'm planning just 2 carry-ons and backpack for each of us. Hopefully, we could manage. I don't want to deal with too much luggage since I also have to look after DS.

I know this is a really old thread, but I can't help myself. I must post to it. I'm such an overpacker. Here I am looking through packing threads to be sure I don't forget something and I find a thread filled with my people. :cool1:

By the way, I also think it's genetic. My 5 year old has stuffed his little backpack full of all kinds of random goodness. He was concentrating so hard last night to find a space to put his football medal. Gotta impress those princesses. :cheer2:

I will see your post and recognize as well that we need to re-open this thread!!!! I too am an overpacker...but my DH is MUCH worse than me!!!! I am still in the mentality of "what if" when it comes to the weather (usually a Nov/Dec tripper) and now with October it's a warmer time of the year...what to do, what to do.:sad2:

DH, however, packs TOO MUCH!!!!! My DH likes to not only bring every article of clothing, but also animal books!!!! (Animal books = nature books on different species in case he runs into a particular animal. Uhhhh...it's called Google!!!!) Yes we are packing them again.

Where to stop, where to stop....youngest is 5 bring me down!!!!

Wow, it's nice to know I'm not the only over-packer! But I've actually gotten better over the years. I now lay out all of the clothes I want to take, then make myself put half of them back. I always, always do laundry mid-trip, so I don't need nearly as many clothes!

Actually, on my last trip, the unthinkable happened. I looked at the long-range forecast right before I left, and packed accordingly. It was October, 2009, and they were predicting near-record high temperatures (mid-90s for the first week of my trip). So I packed mostly shorts, sleeveless tops, and sandals. Had only one pair of long pants, one pair of sneakers, one sweatshirt, and no warm socks. Well, about 10 days into my trip, the temperatures dropped dramatically. We're talking mid-60s and very windy, approaching record-cold temps for October! Man, I sure wish I'd had some warm socks, a warm jacket, and gloves! That wind coming off the lake at Epcot was cold! I had on my long yoga pants, but my legs were still really cold. Spent considerable time looking in all of the shops @ Epcot for some warm socks; finally found some in Japan, but they were the funny kind you wear with Japanese flip-flop-type shoes. I was glad to pay $10 for them, though, because they covered part of my legs!!!

So that just goes to show you, you never know what you'll need in Florida!

Wow, it's nice to know I'm not the only over-packer! But I've actually gotten better over the years. I now lay out all of the clothes I want to take, then make myself put half of them back. I always, always do laundry mid-trip, so I don't need nearly as many clothes!

Actually, on my last trip, the unthinkable happened. I looked at the long-range forecast right before I left, and packed accordingly. It was October, 2009, and they were predicting near-record high temperatures (mid-90s for the first week of my trip). So I packed mostly shorts, sleeveless tops, and sandals. Had only one pair of long pants, one pair of sneakers, one sweatshirt, and no warm socks. Well, about 10 days into my trip, the temperatures dropped dramatically. We're talking mid-60s and very windy, approaching record-cold temps for October! Man, I sure wish I'd had some warm socks, a warm jacket, and gloves! That wind coming off the lake at Epcot was cold! I had on my long yoga pants, but my legs were still really cold. Spent considerable time looking in all of the shops @ Epcot for some warm socks; finally found some in Japan, but they were the funny kind you wear with Japanese flip-flop-type shoes. I was glad to pay $10 for them, though, because they covered part of my legs!!!

:sad2: Okay now I have to re-think my packing list!!!!!

THIS is my problem -- I used to be very good at packing (and even planned outfits so I only brought so many clothes for each day) but this year we are going in December -- DECEMBER. That means anything goes. If it was just me and my husband, oh well we would deal with it -- either be hot or cold or wear the same thing twice etc. But we will have our 2 year old with us. I can't let him freeze or sweat AND with mickey bars and funnel cake etc. I doubt he'll be wearing the same thing twice.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to buy stuff while out there :rolleyes1

Hello, my name is Duffy and I am an overpacker.

Admitting my addiction is the first step. I am powerless to stop.

I found myself this morning thinking that maybe I should pack the nice wooden bowl on my coffee table. It would look great on our table at the Wilderness Lodge when we get there tomorrow!

We have roughly 80 hours worth of dvds packed for the car ride. It is a 15 hour drive.

I have many, many batteries packed, both rechargeable and ordinary. I am fairly certain that there ARE places where I could buy batteries on the way and even when we get there. But still! What if there aren't??

I believe a power greater than myself-the Dis community-could restore me to sanity.

I used to be the same way but thank goodness I have been cured.

*LOL*

We typically visit WDW in December and my BFF always complains that I take one good-sized checked bag (usually 24" or 25") plus my rolling laptop case as a carry-on. The carry-on contains what I absolutely must have (including contact lens stuff, eyeglasses, etc.) if my luggage goes missing for up to 48 hours--which has happened!

Since we visit WDW in December, I know that the weather will be variable over 10 to 12 nights. The forecast can be warm and sunny, but the jet stream can dip suddenly and drop the temperatures to freezing--or below--over two or three days! :eek:

Unless the weather gets stuck on one side or the other of the jet stream, I find that I usually do not overpack--and do have to do laundry at some point! The joy of packing clothing for extended travel in December! :rolleyes:

We always drive because we like to hit the beach too. My dh says when we are on vacation he's afraid to open the sliding doors on the van in case it's like one of those old peanut cans were the snake jumps out. It's not that bad!! Maybe.

We are staying in a villa too so I have access to a washer/dryer, I just really do not want to do laundry on vacation. Maybe Tinkerbell would send me a laundry pixie? I do narrow down outfits for each day, label and put them in a ziplock bag, but before I zip the suitcase I think "Oh, look at that one. That's so cute!" or "What if they spill something?" and "Do we want to dress up for dinner?". It all goes downhill from there. And lets not get started on the shoes. No, I do not need heels at the beach or the parks, but somehow they hop into my bag just in case.

You know I read all these blogs and articles about people who can travel the world over out of one back pack and I always ask myself, WHY?

1) NO, I do not want to wash my undies out in the sink.
2) NO, I do not want to wear the same pair of black shoes every day of my trip.
3) NO, I do not want to wear the same pair of pants 3X's during my trip with a different blouse. I want a different outfit.
4) NO I don't want to wear the same shell top and layer it to try and give the appearance of a "evening" look and a "day" look.

Nothing worse in my opinion than getting dressed on vacation and realizing that you have the perfect shoes to go with your ensemble AT HOME :scared1:
I'm a proud overpacker. Hey, I'm not ashamed to admit it, I want to look my best when I go on vacation. whether it's Disney or Paris, I want my shoes to match my outfit. ;) If that means budgeting in an extra 30 bucks for a check bag, so be it.

Hi, I'm CoolMom and I'm an overpacker! :wave2:

We are getting ready for our longest vacation yet. 12 nights at Disney, but lets not forget the 2 before we check in, and the 2 after we get evicted.

Now, I don't WANT to do laundry. :laundy: I really don't. Like a PP said, I can do laundry at home for free, why would I want to pay $4 a load??!! :confused3

But I cannot, no matter how hard I try, I cannot bend the laws of physics! I cannot pack enough clothing for 5 people for 16 days!! (Well, and still get said 5 people in the van!) :lmao:

Besides, I don't think we even OWN enough clothes for everyone to have a clean (fresh) outfit over 16 days....:scared1:

Guess, I'll have to pack the detergent, laundry hamper, dryer sheets, clothespins... hmmm I think I'm forgetting something! :rotfl:

CoolMom

I've lost count how many times I've come home with stuff in my suitcase I've never worn!
:scared1:

I too, am an overpacker. I usually pack 3x's more shirts than I will ever wear, just in case I change my mind.

However...My DH (yes Him) is WORSE THAN ME!!! Not only does he bring more clothes than will be needed, he packs ALL of the hangers for them, shorts included.

Lets, talk shoes. I have mine down to a fail science at about 4 pairs for a week-brown and black and a couple of diff makes for comfort rotation. DH usually brings twice that many.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter