• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Overbooking?

*123JOANNA123*

Everybody neat and pretty? Then on with the show!
Has anyone ever been bumped from their resort due to overbooking?

We are staying at the GF in August and I notice it's sold out for our dates. We're arriving late, and I'm worried that if they overbook, we'll be bumped somewhere else. I know it's unlikely this would happen, but I have heard that overbooking is widespread in the travel industry, as there are always 'no shows'. I just wondered if it happened at WDW.

I've been looking forward to this trip all year and am starting to get last minute jitters (guess I won't believe I'm actually staying at my dream hotel till we get there!).

Joanna--

I've only once or twice heard of it, not including the Tupperware Convention fiasco in 1997 (I think that was the year).

Florida Law states that if someone is occupying a hotel room, as long as they continue to pay for the room, they can stay on past their original reservation, even if the room has been blocked for someone else.

The chances are very slim that this will happen, but, generally when it does the hotel will first try to "bump" a guest up into a suite or concierge room at that hotel before they walk them to another hotel. This makes those chances of you being walked slimmer yet. It actually increases your chances of a free upgrade :)

On the rarest of occasions where a WDW guest is walked, it's generally to a higher level. From a value to a moderate, a moderate to a deluxe, one deluxe to an upgraded view or concierge level, or even a suite at another, etc.

Often other amenities or perks are generally thrown in for your troubles as well--a free meal, fruit basket delivered to your room, plush animals for your kids, something along those lines.

If you get walked, generally the choice is yours to either keep the higher level of accomodation at the other resort, or to move back to your original resort the next day.

It is inconvenient, but they do try to make it up to you the best they can. Sometimes it can work to your favor in a big way :)

Anne

Thanks Anne- that's gone a long way to ease my mind. I know it's really unlikely that this will happen, but you know when you feel something is going to go wrong....

Wow, that's interesting about FL law and the fact that you can stay on, once you've paid for your room. Guess you would have to pay rack rate, but even still. We tried to stay on at the GF last year and the only rooms available were main building (way too pricey). I guess the law means you have to pay whatever the hotel charges you for that night. I wonder if a lot of people realise this is the case.

Thanks again for the (calming) advice:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter