• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Over-rated food that you have tried...

We both disliked Tusker House for breakfast...even the juice. I think we're the only people on the planet that can say that. Also I got one of the sweet cream pretzels that was absolutely awful. I can't think of anything else.
On our upcoming trip we are eating at Via Napoli and California Grill so I may have more from the sounds of it :)

I agree with Via Napoli, nothing special from what I could tell.
School bread I seriously don't get, like a custard donut but the donut part is not good.
Dole whips are just okay and I would never wait in some of the lines I see for them!
LeCellier was decent, but back when it was one TS credit it was touted as the greatest restaurant of all time! I haven't seen quite as much hype now that it's competing with the real signatures.
Ohana dinner. People used to rave about the scalloped potatoes when they had them and I thought they tasted like Betty Crocker boxed. Their breakfast is great though! That pineapple bread!

Disagree about the popcorn. I LOVE it! I also enjoy zebra domes. And this is the first I'm hearing of the slushy with ice cream at Sleepy Hollow! :flower1:

School Bread is just a stale roll injected with vanilla pudding. I can see why the general public with little to no palate love this stuff. But I don't think i'll be order it ever again.

Cheese Soup @ Le Cellier :crazy2:
Sunshine Seasons at Epcot :crazy2:

Dole Whip- just meh
Carrot Cake sandwich @ HS- just meh
Zebra Domes- just meh (but may have been better if they would have been cold. They were room temp on the buffet)

Do you have taste buds? Or perhaps medications that kill your taste?

The juice at Ohana. The Butterfinger cupcake. The Gold Rush Sundae from Ghiradelli's (I had really high hopes for that one as a peanut butter lover).

School Bread is just a stale roll injected with vanilla pudding. I can see why the general public with little to no palate love this stuff. But I don't think i'll be order it ever again.
Interesting way to express it.

The Kringla menu describes it as a sweet cardamom bun with vanilla creme custard and topped with glazed and toasted coconut. I don't think I've ever had it, so I can't comment if it actually lives up to that description. Presuming it's a yeast bun and that it's not made in small batches nearby throughout the day, I can imagine getting a stale one later in the day.

But I would think it takes a good palate to appreciate the cardamom, and I can't imagine how anyone could miss the coconut unless the coconut was itself missing. Which makes me wonder whether it might not be the people with no palate who aren't impressed and those with a good palate who appreciate it. Or maybe it really doesn't live up to its description. Or perhaps time of day is a strong factor. So now not only am I tempted to try it, but I'm tempted to try it early.

In any event, we each have our own preferences. I don't think it's necessary to criticize other people's palate just because it's different.

Almost all the counter serves can get a point in the "overrated" column from me. They're basically glorified Denny's without servers.
(disclaimer: I don't like salty, processed, or fried foods, so your mileage may vary)

The Kringla menu describes it as a sweet cardamom bun with vanilla creme custard and topped with glazed and toasted coconut. I don't think I've ever had it, so I can't comment if it actually lives up to that description. Presuming it's a yeast bun and that it's not made in small batches nearby throughout the day, I can imagine getting a stale one later in the day.

But I would think it takes a good palate to appreciate the cardamom, and I can't imagine how anyone could miss the coconut unless the coconut was itself missing. Which makes me wonder whether it might not be the people with no palate who aren't impressed and those with a good palate who appreciate it. Or maybe it really doesn't live up to its description. Or perhaps time of day is a strong factor. So now not only am I tempted to try it, but I'm tempted to try it early.

In any event, we each have our own preferences. I don't think it's necessary to criticize other people's palate just because it's different.

Haha. I just have strong opinions on food and might come off a little obtuse. The stale part not only referenced the bread, but the flavors. I'd go with it doesn't live up to expectations/description. compared to other foods that use cardamom (indian), and coconut (lots) the flavors are super weak. I may have gotten it on an off day, but either way, a bad pastry is a bad pastry.

I was a big fan of the Gjetost cheesecake, though. That and the Kringles are my favorite things there.

-Dole Whip ( used to love, love, love the Strawberry Swirl though)
-Anything at the Flying Fish...I know most people love it, but DH and I have gone several times and each time was worse than the one before. We won't go back ever.

Via Napoli. The pizza was nasty. Tasted like burnt rancid oil. The server literally did not know what "cocktail" meant. Apparently the only adult beverages you can get are the specialty concoctions on the menu, which are sweet fruity drinks with just a hint of alcohol.

Cronut from Epcot. It was like a round Churro. It wasn't terrible. Just not really impressive.

I had read about School bread and was determined to try it on our Easter trip. I'm glad I did. I thought it was very good. BUT, having read both positive and negative reviews of it, I kind of had an idea what to expect. AND, my dad's side of the family hails from Norway, so we've always had Norwegian foods (mostly pastries and breads) at Christmas. The cardamom flavor is especially familiar to me as our favorite family tradition is making Krumkaka, a very thin cardamom-seasoned pastry made on a special iron and rolled into a crispy cone.
I actually liked that the School bread wasn't so overly sweet. I shared it with my mother (and dad took a bite), and we enjoyed it.

Mom and I also shared a Dole Whip and though it was fine. Just a refreshing little snack while we were walking through MK.

I guess it isn't that overrated, but breakfast at BOG was a bust for us. And it wasn't just the food. The atmosphere that people rave on and on about? Meh. Mom and I actually brought it up a few days ago as we were reminiscing on our trip and thinking about our next one. Mom said she thought BOG "looked fake and was loud." LOL. So, yeah, everyone's perceptions are different!

The Cobb salad from HBD. I had high hopes for this after reading so many positive reviews but it was just "yuck!" The lettuce was way too chopped and it was mushy and lacking flavor. I had a hard time eating it.

School bread.

Carrot Cake Cookie from DHS. I LOVE anything carrot cake but it was so cold. Maybe if I would have let it sit for a bit it would have been better but it was just eh to me.

I like school bread very much. It's not a donut. It's a yeasty sweet bread. I buy a couple of them to go, and we have them for breakfast in our room the next day.

I'm also a big fan of Dole Whip floats. But I hated Boma. I like Disney buffets and even enjoy Chef Mickey's dinner, but Boma was horrible to me.

To each, his own.

We both disliked Tusker House for breakfast...even the juice. I think we're the only people on the planet that can say that. Also I got one of the sweet cream pretzels that was absolutely awful. I can't think of anything else.
On our upcoming trip we are eating at Via Napoli and California Grill so I may have more from the sounds of it :)

Not just you. Tusker was our least favorite breakfast of a 10 day trip. Character interactions were rushed, it was noisy and cramped and there was nothing on the buffet that was better than we'd have gotten at our food court.

Zebra domes-don't like them at all (too much coffee/alcohol taste for me)

Peanut butter and jelly milkshake at 50s PT. It tasted like I bought peanut butter ice cream from the grocery store and added some milk in the blender. One of our shakes had huge ice crystals.
It was not *bad* at all, just not life changing.

Mahi Mahi with shrimp at Coral Reef. It was like a Lean Cuisine for 10 times the price. (And they can cook calamari and the kid's fish decently, so I don't know why this was so bad)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter