Over-rated food that you have tried...

Turkey legs - going through that area in MK makes me gag. :sick: and for some reason the smell of the fresh popcorn in Disney makes me nauseous as well - I actually got sick one time. And I love popcorn!

Not sure if this has been discussed.. But I would be interested to find out what food that you have tried at WDW and was just "bleh" to you..

For me, it was the Zebra Dome from the Mara.. I just don't understand it. :crazy2:
Salmon at Artist Point.

Hmm, I think there have been a few.

Dole Whips for starters. Love pineapple, love ice cream, but these fell a little flat for me.

Another very popular one that I didn't love was Tonga Toast. It was okay but really just super sweet and not a whole lot of flavor to it aside from sugar. I've got a major sweet tooth but I couldn't even finish this one because it was that sweet.

Dole Whips for starters. Love pineapple, love ice cream, but these fell a little flat for me.
Perhaps because they don't actually contain any ice cream or other dairy?

I'm with you on both the Dole Whips and the Tonga Toast.

Dole Whips

Don't understand the excessive enthusiasm for this treat. They are okay.

:wizard: Chef's de France.....awful dinner and just as awful service. Can't understand the great reviews it gets.

Dole Whips - They're okay and I'll probably get one next week but I don't crave them.

Zebra Domes - Was not a life-changing experience. They were just okay. I ate a few and failed to see the light.

Croque monsieur at BOG - It was a cold grilled cheese with ham. Hardened melted cheese, cold bread, yuck. It was probably an off day but the damage is done.

BOG in general, and their turkey sandwich in particular
Boathouse lunch
Ohana dinner this year (was good a couple of years ago, though)

Another vote for Dole Whips - along with Tonga Toast and the Turkey Leg (only did each once - that was enough.)

Turkey leg... I like the smell, but the experience of eating it was like eating spoonfuls of grease that were somehow tough and times and slimy at others, and being a southern girl, I love my 'cue. I'm not shy about digging into big pieces of meat. I just... ick.

Disney popcorn... it's just popcorn. I don't really get why people rave about it, unless your only metric for popcorn is the stale stuff they serve at movie theaters anymore. In which case, okay, yeah... Disney popcorn is little fluffs of heaven.

I had read about School bread and was determined to try it on our Easter trip. I'm glad I did. I thought it was very good. BUT, having read both positive and negative reviews of it, I kind of had an idea what to expect. AND, my dad's side of the family hails from Norway, so we've always had Norwegian foods (mostly pastries and breads) at Christmas. The cardamom flavor is especially familiar to me as our favorite family tradition is making Krumkaka, a very thin cardamom-seasoned pastry made on a special iron and rolled into a crispy cone.
I actually liked that the School bread wasn't so overly sweet. I shared it with my mother (and dad took a bite), and we enjoyed it.

Mom and I also shared a Dole Whip and though it was fine. Just a refreshing little snack while we were walking through MK.

I guess it isn't that overrated, but breakfast at BOG was a bust for us. And it wasn't just the food. The atmosphere that people rave on and on about? Meh. Mom and I actually brought it up a few days ago as we were reminiscing on our trip and thinking about our next one. Mom said she thought BOG "looked fake and was loud." LOL. So, yeah, everyone's perceptions are different!

YES!!! BOG felt like a cafeteria that they were trying to pull off prom in. Loud, noisy, and very fake. Even suspending reality at WDW...it was just too much unreality.

:wizard: Chef's de France.....awful dinner and just as awful service. Can't understand the great reviews it gets.

DITTO!

May be an unpopular opinion, but IMHO most WDW food is overrated. There are exceptions, but to call most of it above average requires (a) grading it on a "park food" scale and (b) ignoring the price point.

Agree completely. We've reduced our TS dining at WDW greatly over our last several trips, basically because the food quality has steadily gone downhill while the prices have steadily trudged upward. We've never thought food at Disney was anything truly special, but it used to be better than it is now.

Some get flooded with pixie dust when they enter the gates, though.

Last edited:
Dinner at 'Ohana. It was one of the worst meals I've had on Disney property, the only good things were the pot stickers.

YES!!! BOG felt like a cafeteria that they were trying to pull off prom in.
LOL! Perfect description!!
Although, honestly, we transformed our gymnasium into a jaw-dropping spectacle for our proms. It was much nicer than BOG, lol!

Dole Whips
Anything at BOG (Dinner was okay, breakfast was downright bad)

Sadly, the school bread is not what it used to be. I remember roughly 5-6 years ago, it was huge, and more than my husband and I could share. Lots of custard filling, too. Now... they are a sad shadow of what they used to be... much smaller, drier and nowhere near the amount of custard in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter