Our dining reviews: God tripped and this food fell down from heaven

OhhBother

DIS Veteran
Hi all.

We're back from a wonderful week at Disney. Here's a quick overview of where and what we ate. We were on the dining plan -- second time we've used it. Once again, it was a great deal for us.

We are: Me, turned 35 while at Disney; DH, 38; and DMIL and DFIL. No kids in this party.

Unless otherwise noted, we ate breakfast in the room -- Frosted Flakes and doughnuts courtesy of Garden Grocer.

Restaurants to be reviewed include:

Counter Service
Earl of Sandwich, Pecos Bills, Tusker House, Pizzafari, Sunshine Seasons, Wolfgang Puck Express, Starring Rolls, Pizza Planet, Artist's Palette

Table Service
Ohana, Wolfgang Puck Cafe, Beaches and Cream, Le Cellier, Coral Reef, Crystal Palace breakfast, Jiko

DAY 1
Saturday, May 5

We arrived at Saratoga Springs around 7 p.m., checked in and then walked over to Downtown Disney for dinner at Earl of Sandwich. Each of us used one CS credit.
Me -- The Full Montagu (hold the lettuce, tomato and mustard), a cupcake and a coke. Paid cash for a cup of tomato soup.
DH -- The Full Montagu, a brownie and a coke. Also paid cash for tomato soup.
DMIL -- Chinese Chicken Salad, a chocolate chip cookie and a coke.
DFIL -- The Full Montagu, creme brulee and a coke.

We all enjoyed this meal -- very filling and good use of a CS credit. I wasn't crazy about the cupcake -- the icing was too sweet. Would have preferred a muffin crown, but they were out of them.

DAY 2
Sunday, May 6

We spent the morning at Magic Kingdom and had lunch at Pecos Bill's. I've not got a favorite CS restaurant in the MK, so we just chose this one because it was the closest one when we were hungry. The food was actually surprisigly good. Again, we all used on CS credit.
Me -- Cheeseburger plain, fries and a coke. Peanut butter chocolate mousse thing for dessert.
DH -- Turkey wrap, fries and a coke. Strawberry yogurt for dessert.
DMIL -- Chicken Salad, a chocolate chip cookie and a coke.
DFIL -- A double cheeseburger loaded down with toppings from the topping bar, fries and a sprite. Peanut butter chocolate mousse thing for dessert.

DH raved about his turkey wrap. As you'll read below, he had a turkey wrap later in the week at Tusker House and said the Pecos Bill's wrap was far superior. I'd read bad things about the chocolate peanut butter dessert, but I liked it. It was rich, so I only ate about half of it, but the flavor was good.

For dinner, we had 7:10 reservations at Ohana. Let me just say -- the waiting area was a zoo. Nowhere to sit, screaming kids, UGH! There were so many people waiting that they'd even run out of pagers, so we had to listen for our name. We actually arrived about 20 minutes early and were seated 20 minutes late.

Once we got to a table, the night improved dramatically. We were seated at a window table with a tremendous view of the castle. Our food began arriving quickly, but we didn't feel rushed at all. As everyone else has said, the potatoes are incredible -- I was expecting them to be good, and they were even better than I expected. Also loved the wings. Among the meats, the turkey was our favorite. For dessert, the bread pudding was terrific.

This was a great meal -- I was presented a lei because my birthday was that week. And just as we were eating dessert, Wishes began over the castle. Having the music piped in was a great touch.

All of us loved Ohana, and DH and l will be going back during our October trip.

More to come...

Great start - I love Earl of Sandwich. Never tried Pecos Bills - Columbia Harbour House is a favourite of ours at MK.

Looking forward to hearing about Wolfgang Puck and Le Cellier :)

OK, guys. Thanks for the encouragement. Continuing on...

DAY 3
Monday, May 7

This was an Epcot day. For lunch, we headed to Sunshine Seasons, which was really convenient after using our Soarin' fastpasses.

I had the rotisserie chicken with mashed potatoes and rice, a coke and a rice krispies treat for dessert.

DH chose a turkey sandwich on focaccia with chips and a coke. He had a fruit tulip for dessert, which is a selection of berries on a custard in a chocolate coated crust cup. It was yummy.

DMIL also went with the rotisserie chicken and chose mashed potatoes and carrots for her sides. She also got a coke and rice krispies treat.

Finally, DFIL had the salmon with rice and vegetables. His dessert was butterfinger cheesecake.

Again, we all enjoyed our food here. DH raved about the turkey sandwich (he loves his turkey), and the rotisserie chicken was good. I thought the rice was better than the mashed potatoes, though. DFIL said the salmon was good, but he liked the salmon at Tusker House better. All in all, this is a great use of a CS credit, and there's enough variety for everyone to get what they want.

On to dinner, which this night was at Wolfgang Puck Cafe. DH and I had eaten here previously and loved it, so we were excited about this meal. Our reservation was at 8, but we were ahead of schedule. We checked in at 7 just to see if anything was available, and we were seated right away.

For the food:
Me -- I started with the barbecue chicken quesadilla, which was spicier than I remembered it but still good. I ordered the macadamia chicken for my entree and key lime pie for dessert.

DH -- For his appetizer, he chose the crab cakes. And that's where this thread got its name. After his first bite, he looked at me and said, "Obviously, God was having dinner and tripped, and this food fell off His plate in heaven right onto mine." Seriously, he enjoyed this appetizer more than anything he ate all week. He also had the macadamia chicken and key lime pie.

DMIL started with the spring rolls and had a spicy chicken penne pasta dish. She loved the spring rolls, which came with a plum sauce, but said she wouldn't order the pasta again. For dessert, she had the mud pie, which was a huge slab of chocolate ice cream on a brownie. She ate every bite.

DFIL had the spinach dip and flatbread for his appetizer and really enjoyed it. He once again went with the salmon, which he loved, but he didn't care for the saffron potatoes that came with it. He said he would have preferred plain mashed potatoes. He also had key lime pie for dessert.

You'll notice I didn't review the macadamia chicken above. I wanted to to take more room to explain. DH and I both had this in December and LOVED it. The sauces that come with it are incredible. But on this night, I was craving Italian. I knew I should order something with red sauce, but I also wanted the chicken.

You can guess how it ended. I got the chicken, and it was great, but it wasn't what I wanted right then. DH, of course, loved his.

This restaurant is a tremendous use of one TS credit, and I'll probably order the chicken again when I go back. It really is delicious, but I should have gone with my craving that particular night.

Also, next time, I plan on ordering the crab cake appetizer. I won't eat it, but DH would enjoy having two portions, I'm sure. And I'm just not that crazy about any of the appetizer choices, so why not make him happy?

Up next, our Animal Kingdom day with lunch at Tusker House and dinner at Beaches and Cream.

It all sounds so good and you are making me hungry, lol. I look forward to reading the rest of your reviews!!!

Missie

I like your title, and its great to hear the backstory to it!

I look forward to reading more, your review is great! :goodvibes

Thanks for sharing your reviews!

I look forward to the next installment.

Thank you!

We have reservations at Ohana and WPC in September and now I am looking forward to both!

Especially the crab cakes at WPC! ;)

Hi, OhhBother! Just found your food review tonight, and I can't believe you're just down the road from us!!:yay: We're in J.C., and this is the first time I've seen anyone from right around here on the Dis! Can't wait to hear more of your report!:thumbsup2

Enjoying your reviews. I've enjoyed that chicken quesedilla at WPC over the years...oops, maybe I'm confusing it with a chicken flatbread????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter