Opinion Request on WHEN to pull kids out of school

We've taken our kids twice during school. First time we went was in September (K and 5th grader). I'm active in the PTA and I talked to numerous teachers at the time we were planning. They said due to the school's schedule mid-late September would be the best time regarding kids. The second time we went (1st grade and 6th grade) we went the week after Thanksgiving. (Due to the info we read about crowds being low) This was not a good time for us. The crowds were not low actually crazy like summer. The kids struggled and our 6th grader had a hard time with semester ending when she came back. We will not be taking our family trip during school this year due to our last experience with the kids missing school. However the older one is going to miss for marathon weekend. If I were to do it again I would plan mid-late September. Check with the school and talk to a few of the teachers. We were also up front the first day of school. The teachers knew about the trip and worked with us to help the girls stay on track. Have fun and enjoy your trip!

Thanks everyone! Her school year next year will start on Aug. 20. We would probably look towards going the last week in Sept. if we choose that since that's when we've gone the past few years. MNSSHP is a must in her opinion.
The problem I found with the first week of Nov is we would almost definitely have to fly to catch the last MNSSHP party on Nov. 1 if it works that way next year.
I was looking at our handbook and it said to avoid October testing for family vacations (they allow 10 days a year for 1 vacation time period each school year) and since I won't know until closer when that will be I want to try to avoid that time.
DH said he might be able to make August work if we wanted to go before she started but I have a feeling we may end up with late Sept. if that works.
I still have some time and am just trying to put the feelers out on what to do.
I plan on calling the school about other questions so I may add this in to my list of questions for their opinion.

One thought on August. While it keeps her from missing more school, the vacation will be so much different. First of all, even only a month difference, the heat is terrible in August. One of the hottest months. Having traveled in Sept for the past 6 years, it has been about mid to high 80's. Better than in the 90's. Also, the crowds in summer, which this will still be, are crazy. 1 + hour waits on rides. It is a miserable time to go. Until kids are back at school, Disney is a place I would avoid. Going in September will give you a better experience. I have always told our school that the reason I am pulling my kids out in September is because of the free dining which I just can't pass up. What are they going to say--no, you have to pay $1000+ and wait in long holiday lines? It's always been okay. GOod luck with your quest. Looking so forward to our September trip--I have to be careful not to wish my summer away!:cool1:

Thanks everyone! Her school year next year will start on Aug. 20. We would probably look towards going the last week in Sept. if we choose that since that's when we've gone the past few years. MNSSHP is a must in her opinion.
The problem I found with the first week of Nov is we would almost definitely have to fly to catch the last MNSSHP party on Nov. 1 if it works that way next year.
I was looking at our handbook and it said to avoid October testing for family vacations (they allow 10 days a year for 1 vacation time period each school year) and since I won't know until closer when that will be I want to try to avoid that time.
DH said he might be able to make August work if we wanted to go before she started but I have a feeling we may end up with late Sept. if that works.
I still have some time and am just trying to put the feelers out on what to do.
I plan on calling the school about other questions so I may add this in to my list of questions for their opinion.

Here is my thought on August at Disney. I would strongly suggest you stick iwth September. Going in August will do two things. First, the temperatures in mid August can be a full 10 degress hotter or more. Disney in the 90's is not really that enjoyable. By going when you do (as we have always gone the 3rd week of Sept), the temps are in the 80's. It is comfortalbe but not unbearalbe. The other point to consider is that the lines in August, as kids are still out of school and people are still fitting in summer vacations, are huge. The waits can be 1+ hours and it just does not make sense. Of course, going in September kids are back in school so you only have crazy people like us who are taking their kids out of school plus the foreigners. While the lines seem to be greater every year during this time, it still is less than in August. It could really make or break your vacation. I would stick with September.

You know, I always say to the school, we are going during this time becuase of the cost savings with the free dining. What are they going to say, "I'm sorry, you are going to have to pay over $1000. for your vacation and wait in long lines". Your daughter is young, go for it and do what is best for your family. The school work and the school will all work out! :)

I did not read all the post but I have pulled out for cruises and 3 weeks when we adopted. Our school if we are gone a certain amount of time (3days I think) wecan sign up for independent study. Sameasasking for homework butthe school stilll gets paid and the kids do not get counted as absent. DS is going into highschool now so likely will not pull out anymore :( We get to go in the HEAT of July

Thank you everyone for the input! Our school does have a family vacation policy where in elementary we can pull them out for up to 10 days with prior approval.

We have had a complete change of plans! We we still going back and forth on when to go next year (I completely agree that Sept. is wonderful - that's when we've gone the past 2 years) and then we considered summer (I agree, I'm not much into the heat and humidity but I've spent many Labor Day weekends in the Florida Keys so I figure not much different from then).

But after long debates, if ok with her school it looks like we will be going the week before Thanksgiving this year!
I'm still in shock over planning - my mom was a lucky recipient of the free dining so we decided to take advantage of it. I'm booking today but we're not telling the kids in case something comes up with DD's school. I went yesterday and got the BBB appt. scheduled and almost all of my ADR's (only haven't done CRT until I book the trip today since I didn't want to pay up front and they have a lot of times still available that week).

I'm excited and nervous at the same time about pulling DD out but it's only Kindergarten...

I have pulled my children out of school for Disney trips a few times. It's so worth it for us for several reasons. I would choose November just because September is still so hot and hurricane season.

Before your dd gets older and the curriculum gets more difficult.

She's young enough now that she'll be just fine.

We pulled our kids out for 1 week in April. My 1st grader had no issues whatsoever. However, my 5th grader struggled to catch up with the curriculum (advanced math).

Enjoy it while you can! The memories she'll have of the trip will far outweigh whatever she'll miss in class.:)

Thank you everyone for the input! Our school does have a family vacation policy where in elementary we can pull them out for up to 10 days with prior approval.

We have had a complete change of plans! We we still going back and forth on when to go next year (I completely agree that Sept. is wonderful - that's when we've gone the past 2 years) and then we considered summer (I agree, I'm not much into the heat and humidity but I've spent many Labor Day weekends in the Florida Keys so I figure not much different from then).

But after long debates, if ok with her school it looks like we will be going the week before Thanksgiving this year!
I'm still in shock over planning - my mom was a lucky recipient of the free dining so we decided to take advantage of it. I'm booking today but we're not telling the kids in case something comes up with DD's school. I went yesterday and got the BBB appt. scheduled and almost all of my ADR's (only haven't done CRT until I book the trip today since I didn't want to pay up front and they have a lot of times still available that week).

I'm excited and nervous at the same time about pulling DD out but it's only Kindergarten...

I think you will be happy with your decision. As I may have stated before, we had to change our Sept plans to the same week you are going in November because I had broken my back. We got the free dining then (due to Disney's kindness) so all was the same. I would say this, the only thing that really irritated me was the weather. Having lived in Florida, I knew what it would be like and it was as I imagined. During November, it can be cold, it can be hot. From morning to evening, the temps can change drastically. It made packing a lot harder as we had to prepare for every situation. There was one day when we all had jackets, and I had a hat and gloves. And two days later, it was t-shirts and capris. It makes it quite challenging. In fact the week we went was quite a bit chillier then the week my friend went in January who had 80 degree weather. Crazy. We drove to the parks so we made a habit of bringing a change of clothes for the car just in case the weather got too warm or cold. We had to visit the car a couple of times for a wardrobe change. My point, packing and temps are enough to drive you crazy but the parks are quite dead during this time as the feeling is, "who takes their kids out a week before a week's thanksgiving vacation?" You'll be happy about this particular week.

The swimming can be an issue during this time as well due to the possiblity of chilliness. Even with heated pools, it can be a bit brisk. My kids LOVE the pool which is why we stick with September--it assures us warm weather and swimming.

Another suggestion I would give is to ask the teachers well in advance for the work your duaghter will miss. I did this so the beauty was, when on vacation we didn't have to worry about make up work. When they got home, they had a whole week (Thanksgiving vacation) to do it. Why do we not travel during this time then to Disney every year? Because for us, it feel right towards the end of the 9 week grading period which makes it a bit harder in terms of grades. If not for that and the weather, it is a perfect time.

I am excited for you and your family. How did your mom score free dining in November? I swear, if you book every year with them, they never give you the mack daddy deals to entice you back!! :rolleyes2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter