Opinion Request on WHEN to pull kids out of school

more and more I'm leaning towards September because I'm hoping free dining will be back next year or at least a decent discount. We had the free dining last year and loved it! we're into the character meals so we really benefited from it.
I do have other questions for the school that I plan on calling next week (haven't had a chance since I was to Cleveland and back this week). I'll update on the advice they give me :)

DisneyBliss7 said:
We are going 9/28-10/5 this fall. I babysit for a teacher and she said end of September is the best time to take them out of school:)

I'm going same week and pulling my first grader out. So I vote Sept for many of the same reasons above. Especially if you start Aug 20.

I'm pretty surprised at so many people saying September. The issue ( particularly for little ones) is that so soon after school has begun they are learning so much more than academics. Routines are being established, new friendships formed, children's academic levels are being evaluated by the teachers, etc... It is truly the time, during the first few months, that sets the tone for the year.
I would never recommend taking a first grader out of school for a week in the fall. The second half of the year- any time- is better than that.
Just my opinion, and I have been a teacher for more than 20 years ( last 8 in first grade).

I'm going to be pulling my 1st grader out in December for 9 days right before Christmas break starts. It's the only time that we can go. It's well after they take their state tests and we will be going from Dec 8th until Dec 22nd. I think as long as you get the homework and clear it with the school you should be just fine. I am also going to see about getting some of those days my DD will miss as educational days and have her make a journal or something educational that she can share with her class when she returns from her trip. :thumbsup2

I have a 1 st grader and 7 th grader I'm pulling them out for sept 20-29. I have talked to a lot of other parents it's the best time for us we start school sept 9 th the chances of them falling behind his unrealistic but in nov my 7 th grader would have tons of work I'm not worried a bought my 6 year old she's 6 . And I say screw it it's Disney!!!!!!!

We pulled my son out of kindergarten last year mis September to go, it was a great time to go so we are pulling him once more this coming September and he will be in 1st grade but a week later- going sept 25-30. I already discussed with our school and they are fine with us taking him out the end of September.. The crowd levels are low then, I loveSeptember!

I have a 1st grader right now and I would definitely not pull her out if it was in the first 4 weeks of school. Like others said, those first four weeks are so important for building the routines and especially for building friendships. I would move into October or November, unless your school starts in early August, like ours does.

I would do the week in November that already has days off. That would be less time missed from school and would most likely be a less structured week of school any way with the days off.

I would avoid the first 6 weeks...first grade is when they really start to transition from preschool to school school. Our school takes a good deal of time in the beginning of the year setting the stage, establishing the rules, testing the kids for placement in reading groups, etc.

This year (first grade), we pulled DS the last week in January, avoiding testing (second week in Jan...for gifted classes), and to get the opportunity to enroll him in a YES class (something to look into, as they are through Oct and then start up again in late Jan). I liked that it was later, as I emailed his teacher the first week to make sure I wasn't going to pull him at a bad time.

Next year (second grade) we are going the second week in December. Honestly, the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas isn't a big time for academics. Plus, I am a big fan of going to FL during a cold time (in Ohio). We have been historically lucky with warm weather in Dec and Jan...always swim, plus the pools are heated : )

I think I would do November, by then you look for a little break, and September you are just getting into the routine. Have fun with whatever you decide :) We have done both Sept and Nov when I was younger (school aged). We found beginning of November it was hit or miss if we could go swimming or not (sometimes a little too cold for us), and September, as you know, its always hot!

I have a 1 st grader and 7 th grader I'm pulling them out for sept 20-29. I have talked to a lot of other parents it's the best time for us we start school sept 9 th the chances of them falling behind his unrealistic but in nov my 7 th grader would have tons of work I'm not worried a bought my 6 year old she's 6 . And I say screw it it's Disney!!!!!!!

That's so funny--those are the same dates we are going to Disney! Love that 9 night vacation. And I agree, it's Disney!!! I have found that if we wait a month the kids have established the routines well enough yet there is not too much new information--even for my 7th grader this year. Mine still both pulled A's. If you get too far into the year, there are just too many projects and new information. Where are you staying? Did you get free dining?

We are leaving nj on 20 getting Disney 22 -28 back nj 29 visiting my sister in nc half way point we are at pofq yes we got fd I was so excited didn't plan it that way planned on paying full price hoping for discount we choice that date because of crowd level and it's our first time I want to swim I don't want it to be cold!. We just lucked out fd.

We are leaving nj on 20 getting Disney 22 -28 back nj 29 visiting my sister in nc half way point we are at pofq yes we got fd I was so excited didn't plan it that way planned on paying full price hoping for discount we choice that date because of crowd level and it's our first time I want to swim I don't want it to be cold!. We just lucked out fd.

Wow, that is so funny. We are leaving to travel from NC where we live to arrive at POFQ on the 20th. We drive home (always a weepy trip for my girls) on the 29th. It is perfect doing it that way. The only bummer is that my girls have to be back at school the next day but they survive. We have planned it that way so the first Saturday and last Saturday are pool days--lazy days that allow us to just relax and pack/unpack. How funny that you have our dates and resort. We have never stayed at a moderate as the free dining was always tied to the value resorts too. This year, it made more sense to do the moderate when all was said and done. I, of course, have lamented as to whether we should stay at FQ or RS. Still don't know if FQ is the right choice.

I'm excited for you that this is your first visit. I'll tell you that despite being Sept, it will be busier than you expect. Still not killer but for example, Peter Pan (for some reason one of the most popular at Magic Kiingdom) often has an hour wait. The rest are more like 20+ minutes. That's nothing compared to the 1 - 2 hour waits in summer. When we first started taking advantage of free dining back 6 years ago, the park was dead--I mean vitually no waits. Now they have been offering the deal to South America, Europe and Canada and then offer it to US residents. It makes it more packed and you do hear a lot of foreigners. We like trying to figure out where they all come from.

Did you make your dining reservations. If not-DO SO NOW! You will have a great time. I'm not sure I will because it is most likely our last trip there due to my daughter being an 8th grader this next year. Once she hits high school, I'm not sure I can pull her out for a week. I'm afraid she'll have a hard time getting all the A's in the high school courses. We'll see. I'm sure if they offer the bounceback offer, I'll book and then lament about the choice for the next year. Let me know if you have any questions. I have done this exact same vacation for 6 years. I have it down to a science! :goodvibes

My Brother just got back from his first trip ... my niece is in the first grade and the first week of May was great. Spring Break crowds were gone, summer crowds had not started, not many rehabs, he had a free dining pin and it was pool weather. It was after my nieces dance recital but before any of the fun end of the year events at school (they get out in June).

Thanks so much I def made all my dinning at my 180 got my dream dining list and times ,free dinning ,day I wanted for spooky party ,# 1 hotel i didnt think we could afford originally staying at allstar movies. so far everything I wanted and have been planning for a year has just fell right into place. I could not ask for any more pixie dust . This is our plans
Day 1 dtd trex at 4 pm also have res at 7 just in case becouse we are driving in we may have to cancel 1st res.
Day2 mk bog 620
Day3 hs 50s prime 530
Day4 Epcot via nopolia 545
Day 5 ak yac and yeti 530
Day6 Epcot day time / mk royal table 425 us girls boys are on there own for quicky dinner we stole there credits. then spooky party
Day 7 Mickey waffles at port of Orleans riverside go home..
We are not bfast eaters more dinner eaters

It all really depends on your kid and the structure of the lessons in the school. We start the year at the beginning of the 2nd week of Aug, so by the end of Sept things are in full swing and it wouldn't be too much of an adjustment issue. I personally would lean towards the Nov. dates just because less school will be missed. In our district 1st grade is a fairly big deal academically speaking. Of course the structure could be different at our school. DD went to half day kindergarten last year so this year was a big adjustment to a full day of school for starters. For a 6 year old who still liked a good afternoon nap a few times a week in kindergarten and over the summer, all day was a huge adjustment. By November the focus was on new concepts in math and reading. A long absence could possibly cause issues, but if your kid is an average student missing 3 days at this time shouldn't be an issue.

It sounds like you have a good plan of talking with the school and teacher before making a decision. That's the best way to go.

Don't go right at the beginning of the year (ie, the first week or two of school). Don't go right before the end of a marking period.

Thanks so much I def made all my dinning at my 180 got my dream dining list and times ,free dinning ,day I wanted for spooky party ,# 1 hotel i didnt think we could afford originally staying at allstar movies. so far everything I wanted and have been planning for a year has just fell right into place. I could not ask for any more pixie dust . This is our plans
Day 1 dtd trex at 4 pm also have res at 7 just in case becouse we are driving in we may have to cancel 1st res.
Day2 mk bog 620
Day3 hs 50s prime 530
Day4 Epcot via nopolia 545
Day 5 ak yac and yeti 530
Day6 Epcot day time / mk royal table 425 us girls boys are on there own for quicky dinner we stole there credits. then spooky party
Day 7 Mickey waffles at port of Orleans riverside go home..
We are not bfast eaters more dinner eaters

I am thinking we will run into each other even if we don't know it! We tend to do all the extended magic hours and since we dont' do park hoppers, we are set in stone.
Sat 21-pool at POFQ, DD at night- Reglan Road
Sun 22-MK -California Grill (hopefully)
Mon-23-HS-Sci Fi 6:00 (we hated Prime time so we always fall back to our HS fav)
Tue-24-Epcot-Coral Reef 6:00
Wed-25-pool day, Epcot night-Cape May Cafe (have you eaten here?we are trying it for the first time--hoping its good)
Thur-26-MK-Grand Floridian Cafe (never tried it, hope its good)
Fri-27-Epcot Garden Grill (trying it again after 5 years. My husband plans to not eat but just snack his way around Epcot since it will be the first day of the food and wine festival.)
Sat-28-pool then our absolute favorite restaurant-Ohanas.

So if your day 1, 2 coincides with my dates, we will be waiting in some of the same lines. Can't wait. Maybe we'll even be at the pools at the same time. Who knows, the kids may strike up friendships at the pool (although you have boys right? and I have girls. Who knows at their ages). Isn't it exciting? It always kind of stinks though as I wish the summer away to get to my Disney vacation. :rolleyes2

I had no idea food and wine fest was same week. Lol I have dd6 ds 13

The food and wine starts that last friday of September now. We seem to forget it all the time and then stumble upon it. So last year, my husband says, I am going to eat my way through. Since we always have so many snacks left over, I figured he will hang with us while we eat at Garden Grill, and then he will use up all of our snacks. I would rather that then load up on the candy and stuff we end up with every year. I think that is why they have moved the extended hours for Epcot from Friday to earlier in the week. It used to always be on Friday. I suppose they need a chance to work out the kinks.

Okay, you have a 13 year old son--my 11 & 13 year old girls, may just strike up a conversation with him in the pool if they run into each other. Who knows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter