• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Operation Big Thunder: the Dole Whip Conspiracy COMPLETE

For those of you that wanted a Hawaii PTR, this will be it!

My wife's birthday was this past Saturday, and so I was able to spring a surprise on her: our wait list for Aulani came through! We'll be staying in a one-bedroom villa with an island-garden view. I had gotten her an AKL beach towel on our trip and gave that to her for her birthday, with the Aulani reservation wrapped up inside. The idea was that she would unwrap the towel and find the reservation. Well, instead she grabbed the towel and whipped it out of the box it was in, which scattered the documents around the room. So the execution of the surprise wasn't the smoothest, but nevertheless she was thrilled once she finally figured out what was going on. :goodvibes

So now that the secret is out and I can actually talk about it, the plans are taking shape pretty well. We've reserved all of our accommodations and most of our flights. We'll be scrimping and saving where we can, since everything is expensive in Hawaii and when you multiply some costs by 5 people it gets downright astronomical. Unfortunately that means there will be a few places where admission is charged that we won't be paying the freight.

We also won't be doing a lot of sit-down meals for the same reason. My usual source, Road Food, hasn't been much help as far as finding cheap dives to grab some grub, so I've been relying on my guidebooks and Trip Advisor and I think we've found a few possibilities.

So, here's how the trip plan looks:

Oahu

Tuesday: We fly out on a Tuesday from Dulles airport near D.C. (not as convenient for us as Philly or Baltimore, but they had the best rates). After flying all day with about 12 hours total travel time, we'll land at approximately 1:30 p.m. Hawaii time. With a 6-hour time difference, the jet lag is going to mess us up, I'm sure. Part of the reason I'm thrilled we got into Aulani is that I think the water park/pool area will be a big help for trying to keep everybody up late past what feels like our bedtime so we can adjust. We may go straight to Aulani from the airport, or we may take a detour to Waikiki Beach first thing so we can wander on the beach in mid-afternoon and enjoy the view, and the fact that we're actually there!

Possible dinner: Monkeypod Kitchen (conveniently located across the street from Aulani)

Wednesday: Although I'm sure we'll wake up at 4:00 in the morning or some ungodly hour, we'll hang out at the resort in the morning until rush hour comes and goes (which apparently in Honolulu is anywhere from 6-9 a.m.). I already reserved a spot online for a 10:30 a.m. tour of the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor. After that, we'll head into the city to get some lunch (maybe eat on the beach?) and then do a drive-by of Iolani Palace and the surrounding grounds. We probably will not do the tour due to time/cost considerations. From there, we'll check out Punchbowl Cemetery (basically the Arlington of the Pacific) and then the Nu'uanu Pali overlook. If we have time, we might also drive up some back roads on the mountain to check out the view at Pu'u Ualaka'a State Park. And then it'll be back to Aulani, with a possible stop on the way back at the Dole Plantation for Dole Whips or Leonard's Malasadamobile for donuts.

Possible lunch stop: Kua 'Aina Sandwich shop

Thursday: Again we'll wait out rush hour and then head for Diamond Head State Park to try and hike to the summit. Then we'll do a drive around the windward side of the island up to the North Shore, stopping along the way to see the Byodo-In Temple. We'll check out the famed surf beaches on the North Shore and hopefully see green sea turtles (Aye! sea turtles) there as well. Then we'll stop in the town of Haleiwa for either Matsumoto's or Aoki's Shave Ice.

And then, of course, back to Aulani for more fun there.

Possible lunch stop: Uncle Bobo's BBQ (how can you resist a name like that?)

Maui

Friday: Friday is a travel day, as we leave Oahu and head to Maui. Our plane leaves Honolulu around 9:30 a.m., so we may have to fight some traffic to get to the airport in time. Once we land, we'll probably head straight to Costco to load up on groceries for the week. According to our guidebook, Costco membership is a big help on the islands since it provides access to the cheapest groceries and gas. Most of our meals here will be of the homemade variety.

We'll be staying for a week on Maui with family, either at my cousin or my uncle's house. I haven't planned out each day here since we have plenty of time and flexibility, so we may just do as we please (shocking, coming from a DIS member, isn't it?).

At the very least, we'll have a couple of beach days. We'll spend one day driving the entirety of the notorious Hana Highway. We'll also visit Haleakala National Park, quite possibly to see the sunrise/sunset/nighttime sky as well as during the day. We'll spend some time driving around the west side of Maui and exploring the town of Lahaina, as well as the central Iao Valley.

Mostly we'll take our time and relax. Julie and I will celebrate our 15th anniversary on the island, so I'm looking for a good place for dinner. It seems that most of the restaurants are either burger joints (which we may end up in) or 5-star white-linens type places. If I can find a place with a good steak where I don't have to worry about which fork to use, it may end up being a winner.

Hawaii

It became apparent to me in my planning that I didn't give us enough time to properly explore the big island. Unfortunately, most of our other reservations and flights are set, so we'll just have to do the best we can with what we have.

I haven't booked this flight yet. The main carrier, Hawaiian Airlines, is double the price of everyone else for this leg. The only other alternatives are small 9-seat puddle-jumpers. Some reviews say they're fine and others say it's better to pay the cost and go with Hawaiian. I haven't decided what we'll do there yet.

Friday: we'll fly over to Kona from Maui. I found a good deal on a hotel in the area with an earlybird special. Dinner will involve sampling some Liquid Aloha at the Kona Brewing Co.

Saturday: this will be a long, long driving day. If we see everything we want to, we'll put a few hundred miles on the rental car, easily. So we'll probably get up extremely early. The main goal is to get to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and spend a good part of the day exploring. We may stop along the way at South Point (southernmost point in the U.S.) or a black sand beach. If time allows, we may do the extra drive to Hilo and a bit beyond to see Akaka Falls State Park, but that may be biting off more than we can chew. The volcanoes are the main attraction for this day. There is currently lava flowing, but no guarantee it will still be doing so when we get there. If it is, we'll have to see if there are any viewing areas that are reachable. Seeing a lava flow would probably be worth the cost of the trip by itself.

Sunday: We'll have most of the day to explore before flying out to Kauai in the afternoon. Stops will probably include the Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historic Site (a place of refuge for Hawaiian citizens). And then we might tour the Greenwell Coffee Farm (because being in Kona without having Kona coffee is a sin). Plus the tour is free, and as you all know, if it's free, it's for me.

Kauai

Monday: Kauai is our last stop, and we'll be staying in a condo near Princeville on the northern part of the island. It was cheaper than the hotels. Monday will most likely be spent driving to the south part of the island to see Waimea Canyon. And whatever else catches our fancy along the way.

Tuesday: We'll spend Tuesday morning hiking the first portion of the Kalalau Trail, which winds along the scenic Na Pali Coast. This is the only way to see it unless you're willing to hire a boat or helicopter tour. Hopefully the kids will hold up! In the evening I'd like to relax and watch the sunset at beautiful Hanalei Bay.

Possible road-food-type meals: Pat's Taqueria truck
Bubba's Burgers

Whew! That was one big info dump. For all of you who wanted to know what the plans were or perhaps steal some research for your own purposes, there it is! We have less than 100 days to go now, so we're getting very excited.

And that's about all I have to say about that.

I'm glad that you're posting your plans because I'm hoping to steal them as much as possible. Which is a nice way of saying, make sure you tell your uncle and cousins that I'll be showing up. ;) Just kidding. Actually, I'm thiking Oahu (Aulani), the big island, and Kauai. So, my apologies to your uncle and cousins that I won't be able to visit them on Maui. ;) I'm having trouble deciding which side of Kauai to shoot for...towards Waimea Canyon or Hanalei, so I'll be interested to hear how you like your condo.

Tammy (MAGICFOR2 on the Disboards) had a Hawaii TR a while back and recommended this food truck Monkey Mike's. It's 30+ miles from Aulani, but I see his website now says that a "Mike's Huli Huli Two" is coming, so maybe it'll be closer?

Forest Gump :)

+1:thumbsup2

I'm glad that you're posting your plans because I'm hoping to steal them as much as possible. Which is a nice way of saying, make sure you tell your uncle and cousins that I'll be showing up. ;) Just kidding. Actually, I'm thiking Oahu (Aulani), the big island, and Kauai. So, my apologies to your uncle and cousins that I won't be able to visit them on Maui. ;) I'm having trouble deciding which side of Kauai to shoot for...towards Waimea Canyon or Hanalei, so I'll be interested to hear how you like your condo.

So when are you going?

The first thing I'd definitely say is plan for a decent amount of time on the big island. I had set our dates before I really did the research and learned how long the drive was between various destinations, and should have allowed more time there. The island is the size of Connecticut, but to get anywhere you have to drive around the most massive mountains in the world.

I didn't really have a preference going into Kauai planning. I just found a decent deal and went with it. You may have heard this from me once or twice, but finding a place to stay that allows 5 in a room is somewhat difficult. :rolleyes2

Tammy (MAGICFOR2 on the Disboards) had a Hawaii TR a while back and recommended this food truck Monkey Mike's. It's 30+ miles from Aulani, but I see his website now says that a "Mike's Huli Huli Two" is coming, so maybe it'll be closer?

Thanks! I've read up on the various shrimp trucks as well which may appeal to my wife. I will head straight for the BBQ joint, though. Raise your hand if you're surprised.

Maui

Friday: Friday is a travel day, as we leave Oahu and head to Maui. Our plane leaves Honolulu around 9:30 a.m., so we may have to fight some traffic to get to the airport in time. Once we land, we'll probably head straight to Costco to load up on groceries for the week. According to our guidebook, Costco membership is a big help on the islands since it provides access to the cheapest groceries and gas. Most of our meals here will be of the homemade variety.
make sure you pick up a few bags of the maui onion chips...pretty much the greatest chip on the planet...i brought home 3 bags last trip, and when our family heads out there they bring me a few bags home.

if you do fell the want to head out for a meal...i would check out this website.
look on the specials for wednesday night, they have burgers for 6.95...a great deal and if you time it right you can be eating your meal while watching the sunset, or walk right across the street after dinner to watch the sunset on the sand. it is in the town of kihei where we ate..they have one in lahania but i dont think that one is on the beach.

We'll be staying for a week on Maui with family, either at my cousin or my uncle's house. I haven't planned out each day here since we have plenty of time and flexibility, so we may just do as we please (shocking, coming from a DIS member, isn't it?).
if you want a surf lesson or paddle board lesson, let me know my sister in law does both just on the side for fun.

try and fit big beach into your schedule.
here is some pics of it when we went one day.
there are bunch of food trucks on the side of the road as you get there so if you want a snack of some sort they have them.

here are some picsof the road to hana and the winery we went to...the winery is a good time and you and the misses might enjoy it there are some really good views up there..if you go check out that area where you can jump into the water in the "cave" it is not fully enclosed, but a ton of fun...but make sure when you are the water to not "go you know" never know what is in the water that could swim back in. ;)

At the very least, we'll have a couple of beach days. We'll spend one day driving the entirety of the notorious Hana Highway. We'll also visit Haleakala National Park, quite possibly to see the sunrise/sunset/nighttime sky as well as during the day. We'll spend some time driving around the west side of Maui and exploring the town of Lahaina, as well as the central Iao Valley.

there are some really good spots for sunsets in lahaina

Mostly we'll take our time and relax. Julie and I will celebrate our 15th anniversary on the island, so I'm looking for a good place for dinner. It seems that most of the restaurants are either burger joints (which we may end up in) or 5-star white-linens type places. If I can find a place with a good steak where I don't have to worry about which fork to use, it may end up being a winner.

if you decide to not go for the 5 star places...in lahaina there is a bubba gumps on the water we really enjoyed there food and the price was not bad at all, we got there around 5 and asked for a seat at the windows on the water and they gave it to us...we had a blast there, the pics are at the end of this update.

okay hope i didn't bore you but wanted to let you know what we did and some pointers.

feel free to PM with any questions.

Mark, your plans sound awesome. I'm so glad you were finally able to tell Julie...and I want to see you top Hawaii for your 20, 25th, etc.

Did anyone else read what Mark wrote and just sort of skip over all of the native names and insert "hawamaamainnii" or other random sounds? Or was that just me?

Ah!! Sounds like such a wonderful trip!!! I really need to get my act together and plan a trip to Hawaii!! :cloud9:

make sure you pick up a few bags of the maui onion chips...pretty much the greatest chip on the planet...i brought home 3 bags last trip, and when our family heads out there they bring me a few bags home.

Sounds good! I'll have to check them out.

if you do fell the want to head out for a meal...i would check out this website.
look on the specials for wednesday night, they have burgers for 6.95...a great deal and if you time it right you can be eating your meal while watching the sunset, or walk right across the street after dinner to watch the sunset on the sand. it is in the town of kihei where we ate..they have one in lahania but i dont think that one is on the beach.

I remember you sent me the name of that place before. Seems like a lot of restaurants have some really good early-bird specials, so it might be a good idea for us to stay at least a little bit on East Coast time.

if you want a surf lesson or paddle board lesson, let me know my sister in law does both just on the side for fun.

Cool! I might send you a PM.

try and fit big beach into your schedule.
here is some pics of it when we went one day.
there are bunch of food trucks on the side of the road as you get there so if you want a snack of some sort they have them.

Big Beach was one of the beaches I was looking at. Sounds like a great spot.

here are some picsof the road to hana and the winery we went to...the winery is a good time and you and the misses might enjoy it there are some really good views up there..if you go check out that area where you can jump into the water in the "cave" it is not fully enclosed, but a ton of fun...but make sure when you are the water to not "go you know" never know what is in the water that could swim back in. ;)

:eek:

My family's places are up on the slope, so that's the exact view I'll have. :goodvibes

The road to Hana looks beautiful. When you're jumping into the water and you can see the bottom, how do you know it's safe? With my luck I'd jump in where it's only 2 feet deep. :headache:

there are some really good spots for sunsets in lahaina

My book says Maui is one of the few spots in the world where they wonder if it's possible to get sunset or waterfall fatigue. The answer, of course, is no.

if you decide to not go for the 5 star places...in lahaina there is a bubba gumps on the water we really enjoyed there food and the price was not bad at all, we got there around 5 and asked for a seat at the windows on the water and they gave it to us...we had a blast there, the pics are at the end of this update.

Thanks! You certainly can't beat that location and view! Neither my DW and I are fancy people, so we tend to not want to go to the high-end gourmet places. I'd lean toward Bubba Gump there. But we're not big on seafood, either. So we'll see.

okay hope i didn't bore you but wanted to let you know what we did and some pointers.

feel free to PM with any questions.

Not at all, this is very helpful! I might take you up on your offer for further research.:thumbsup2

Mark, your plans sound awesome. I'm so glad you were finally able to tell Julie...and I want to see you top Hawaii for your 20, 25th, etc.

Thanks!

As I mentioned before, the only reason we could do this trip is because Julie was working this year. If she doesn't get offered another job, we may have to settle for celebrating our 20th anniversary here.

Did anyone else read what Mark wrote and just sort of skip over all of the native names and insert "hawamaamainnii" or other random sounds? Or was that just me?

You should see what those words do to the spellchecker. There were sparks flying out of my monitor.

Ah!! Sounds like such a wonderful trip!!! I really need to get my act together and plan a trip to Hawaii!! :cloud9:

::yes::

It's only about 30 hours of flying time, too! :rotfl2:

Big Beach was one of the beaches I was looking at. Sounds like a great spot.
thats just because right over that cliff is the little beach. and you want to check out there views.::yes::

My family's places are up on the slope, so that's the exact view I'll have. :goodvibes
nice
The road to Hana looks beautiful. When you're jumping into the water and you can see the bottom, how do you know it's safe? With my luck I'd jump in where it's only 2 feet deep. :headache:
i waited till some otheres jumped in and saw them go down and not touch the bottom then i jumped.
:)

Thanks! You certainly can't beat that location and view! Neither my DW and I are fancy people, so we tend to not want to go to the high-end gourmet places. I'd lean toward Bubba Gump there. But we're not big on seafood, either. So we'll see.
nope great location and view...we are not swanky people either, tend for the more normal establishments.
there are many other good things on the menu...but if you do like shrimp that shrimp sampler was awesome and HUGE.

Not at all, this is very helpful! I might take you up on your offer for further research.:thumbsup2

Just a PM away.:thumbsup2

Julie and I will celebrate our 15th anniversary on the island, so I'm looking for a good place for dinner. It seems that most of the restaurants are either burger joints (which we may end up in) or 5-star white-linens type places. If I can find a place with a good steak where I don't have to worry about which fork to use, it may end up being a winner.
Just from getting to know you and Julie the past couple of years in TR's, I'd be absolutely shocked if you flew all the way to Hawaii for your 15th anniversary and went anywhere other than some hole in the wall burger joint to celebrate. :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

No, you certainly weren't the only one. :lmao:

mr-burns-excellent.jpg

I'm tickled for y’all.
This should be a truly epic Oblivious adventure.

Take tons of pictures…
I’m already impatiently awaiting the TR on this one.

This sounds like a wonderful trip.

I may be "borrowing" some plans for someday. :upsidedow

I know you have a little bit to go but have a great trip and report back to us Okay - Ya hear? :flower3:

thats just because right over that cliff is the little beach. and you want to check out there views.::yes::

Hey, why are these warning bells going off?:rotfl2:

i waited till some otheres jumped in and saw them go down and not touch the bottom then i jumped.

Use others as your guinea pig. Smart.

nope great location and view...we are not swanky people either, tend for the more normal establishments.
there are many other good things on the menu...but if you do like shrimp that shrimp sampler was awesome and HUGE.

My wife likes shrimp, so she could go for that. My nemesis (middlepat) recommended this place in Wailea:

Joe's Simply Delicious Food

I like the idea of celebrating my anniversary with chicken & waffles.:thumbsup2

Just from getting to know you and Julie the past couple of years in TR's, I'd be absolutely shocked if you flew all the way to Hawaii for your 15th anniversary and went anywhere other than some hole in the wall burger joint to celebrate. :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

:rotfl2: Exactly. I would take her to the fancy-pants places if she wanted to go, but I think she's just as intimidated as I am.

No, you certainly weren't the only one. :lmao:

I guess I don't need to work so hard to get the names right in future TR's.

I'm thinking that Mark should do this without his kids along? :eek: :blush:

Are you kidding? Julie would kill me.

No, not just you.

I'll let you guys work on Hawaii's state fish: humuhumunukunukuapua'a.

I'm tickled for y’all.
This should be a truly epic Oblivious adventure.

Take tons of pictures…
I’m already impatiently awaiting the TR on this one.

We bought an extra 32-GB memory card for the camera. :thumbsup2

I'm anxiously awaiting this vacation! This whole "working" thing stinks.

This sounds like a wonderful trip.

I may be "borrowing" some plans for someday. :upsidedow

As long as you pay your royalties. :thumbsup2

I know you have a little bit to go but have a great trip and report back to us Okay - Ya hear? :flower3:

I wouldn't dream of doing otherwise! If we decide to come back, that is.

:headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter