Operation Big Thunder: the Dole Whip Conspiracy COMPLETE

I just discovered your TR yesterday and have just finished reading it all. Thanks so much for sharing. Your humour and writing style makes for a thoroughly enjoyable read.
Also, it's made me even more excited about my stay at AKV later this year.

I particularly enjoyed the post about the South of the Border Town - so funny. If I'd seen fireworks like that, I would have been taking photos also.

Thanks again. :-)

If you're looking for upscale romantic, try Mama's Fish House.

Also Joe's is a great "nice" place for families. Also if you're a fan of classic rock, Joe uses to produce some of the biggest concerts in the late 70s early 80s and there are some cool memorabilia items there.

Thanks Brian! I'll see if I can look those places up. You'll never believe this, but I found a burger joint or two that look decent.

I just discovered your TR yesterday and have just finished reading it all. Thanks so much for sharing. Your humour and writing style makes for a thoroughly enjoyable read.
Also, it's made me even more excited about my stay at AKV later this year.

I particularly enjoyed the post about the South of the Border Town - so funny. If I'd seen fireworks like that, I would have been taking photos also.

Thanks again. :-)

:welcome: Cool! My first Kiwi reader!

Thanks for reading my TR. I appreciate you taking all that time, and I'm amazed you could do it without falling into a confused slumber. :faint:

You will love AKV, especially if you've never stayed there before. It's got a magic of its own. I'd love to go back.

Do you have any places like South of the Border, or is that kind of spectacular awfulness unique to America? Just wondering. It's like a train wreck--you know it will be unpleasant, but you can't look away.:rotfl2:

By the way, I checked out your blog and really enjoyed your write-ups of Navini and the south island of New Zealand. I had honestly never heard of Navini before but it sounded like a wonderful place. And my parents took a vacation a few years back to Australia and the South Island that looked incredible, and your photos looked equally amazing. Some of those shots were stunning!

Mark, I am not sure when I last commented on your TR. But I wanted to say that I enjoyed it all very much. The trip to Hawaii that you have planned sounds fantastic and I hope that you will be doing a TR for that one again! You know that I love your non-Disney TRs as well - to be honest after having read so many Disney TRs over the last few years, one to a non-Disney location sounds especially interesting!! Hawaii is a place I very much want to visit, however from Europe it is really on the other side of the Earth.

Captain_Oblivious said:
Do you have any places like South of the Border, or is that kind of spectacular awfulness unique to America? Just wondering. It's like a train wreck--you know it will be unpleasant, but you can't look away.:rotfl2:

Lol, No. We have a few towns known for their large gaudy statues (some examples in link below), but nothing quite as kitsch as South of the Border.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/photos/5041471/NZs-big-statues-and-signs

I have to say though, I would really enjoy doing a road trip across America and stopping in at as many South of the Borderesque towns as possible. Sometimes, taste or no taste, it's just nice to be able to smile and have a laugh. If a travel destination achieves this, it's a success in my books. :-)

It is our first trip to the AKL. In fact it's my husband's first trip to Florida and my son's first trip to the US. I've rented points and have a split stay organized for the BWV and AKV. I particularly love reading the TRs of people who have stayed at either or these resorts and/or are traveling with young boys. So I was really excited when I stumbled across your report.

Thanks for the compliments about my blog. I decided a few weeks ago to give blogging ago, and it's a lot of fun.

Mark, I am not sure when I last commented on your TR. But I wanted to say that I enjoyed it all very much. The trip to Hawaii that you have planned sounds fantastic and I hope that you will be doing a TR for that one again! You know that I love your non-Disney TRs as well - to be honest after having read so many Disney TRs over the last few years, one to a non-Disney location sounds especially interesting!! Hawaii is a place I very much want to visit, however from Europe it is really on the other side of the Earth.

Thanks Magdalene! I'm glad you enjoyed it and grateful you took the time to read it.

I will definitely do a Hawaii TR. I like a bit of variety after Disney as well! It will most likely be on the DISDads thread since it's a non-Disney trip, but I'll try and spread the word once it gets going. Our trip is in June, so I'll probably start it in July.

We're much closer to Hawaii, and it still feels like it'll be halfway around the world! I'm a little worried about how long it will take to adjust to the jet lag.

subscribing to your incredibly entertaining TR!

:welcome:

It's actually finished, but that should make it easy to keep up! :rotfl2:

Lol, No. We have a few towns known for their large gaudy statues (some examples in link below), but nothing quite as kitsch as South of the Border.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/photos/5041471/NZs-big-statues-and-signs

Well, those are impressive in their own right. And the dog-shaped buildings DID have award-winning toilets, so you've got that going for you, which is nice. :thumbsup2

I have to say though, I would really enjoy doing a road trip across America and stopping in at as many South of the Borderesque towns as possible. Sometimes, taste or no taste, it's just nice to be able to smile and have a laugh. If a travel destination achieves this, it's a success in my books. :-)

I can appreciate places like that just in respect of people not taking themselves too seriously. In this day and age, that's an admirable quality.

A much better "Not taking themselves seriously" destination is Lynn's Paradise Cafe in Louisville, KY. I wrote a bit about our visit in my Rust Belt Road Trip TR (link below), but it was definitely worth the time.

It is our first trip to the AKL. In fact it's my husband's first trip to Florida and my son's first trip to the US. I've rented points and have a split stay organized for the BWV and AKV. I particularly love reading the TRs of people who have stayed at either or these resorts and/or are traveling with young boys. So I was really excited when I stumbled across your report.

You guys will have an amazing time! Will you do a TR? If so, let me know when you start it. It'll be interesting to see your son's reaction to WDW.

Thanks for the compliments about my blog. I decided a few weeks ago to give blogging ago, and it's a lot of fun.

You're doing a great job!

Well, those are impressive in their own right. And the dog-shaped buildings DID have award-winning toilets, so you've got that going for you, which is nice. :thumbsup2

:rotfl: 'Impressive' is one word to describe them. I have no idea why those toilets are award winning. Will have to investigate next time I'm passing by.

I can appreciate places like that just in respect of people not taking themselves too seriously. In this day and age, that's an admirable quality.

Agreed

A much better "Not taking themselves seriously" destination is Lynn's Paradise Cafe in Louisville, KY. I wrote a bit about our visit in my Rust Belt Road Trip TR (link below), but it was definitely worth the time.

I'll have to take a look. It sounds like a fun read

You guys will have an amazing time! Will you do a TR? If so, let me know when you start it. It'll be interesting to see your son's reaction to WDW.

I actually set up the blog for this purpose. I'm just playing around with it at the moment, trying to get used to adding entries through my tablet, so I don't waste time learning what to do while I'm on holiday. My hope is that I'll be able to do a semi-live TR so my son's grandparents can keep track of what we're up to. Also, it might give me something to pass the hours on the very long flights.

You're doing a great job!

Captain_Oblivious said:
Well, this stinks. I had meant to post the link to Lynn's Paradise Cafe and forgot to put it in my earlier response. So I went back to look it up and found that the place just abruptly closed overnight:

http://www.wave3.com/story/20569232/lynns-paradise-cafe-abruptly-serves-its-final-meal

:(

That's a shame. It looked like a fun place. As does the cafe with the Ford-made Star Wars Fighter outside.

Love the pic of the breath spray in the gift shop. Also, the unimpressed look on your son's face being made to wear that roman soldier/space robot/rooster helmet is hilarious.
Very entertaining read. :-)

That's a shame. It looked like a fun place. As does the cafe with the Ford-made Star Wars Fighter outside.

Love the pic of the breath spray in the gift shop. Also, the unimpressed look on your son's face being made to wear that roman soldier/space robot/rooster helmet is hilarious.
Very entertaining read. :-)

They were great, memorable places to visit. Thanks so much for taking the time to read it.:goodvibes

All caught up and I enjoyed the surprise of the trip and all that went into planning and enjoying the trip.

Look forward to hearing about Hawaii. <where's the hula smilie?>

All caught up and I enjoyed the surprise of the trip and all that went into planning and enjoying the trip.

Look forward to hearing about Hawaii. <where's the hula smilie?>

Thanks for sticking with me, Pat! I can't wait for Hawaii! Especially with temps in the 20's here. :cold:

Captain_Oblivious said:
Thanks for sticking with me, Pat! I can't wait for Hawaii! Especially with temps in the 20's here. :cold:

Low 20's is considered a heat wave in Canada..... Just sayin' ;)

So I should expect thousands of Canadians flocking to Delaware? :confused3

Just their penguins.
h1222.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter